Auto brightness or manual - what do you use and why?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
So when I first got the g3 I immediately changed to manual because the auto dimming to avoid overheating got to be annoying. Manual has been very annoying having to changing it all the time.

What is your preference and why?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Auto brightness or manual

So when I first got the g3 I immediately changed to manual because the auto dimming to avoid overheating got to be annoying. Manual has been very annoying having to changing it all the time.

What is your preference and why?

I set at about 50% brightness (I need a brighter screen - old eyes) with auto brightness on. No issues but auto is a little slow to respond/adjust.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Well actually I set mine to manual shortly after I got it, but my normal indoor setting of 25-30% makes it very difficult to see the keyboard for PIN unlocking outdoors, so I might give auto another try. Thx for the reminder!

Posted via Android Central App

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site

As time has gone by have reduced the manual setting to 30-35% and left the brightness adjustment on the notification page to enable quick increase when in a sunlit area.

Steve/Boanerges Performance

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

^^^Yes that's a good way although I sometimes find I adjust the wrong slider and just increase volume, or worse, that I've failed to pull the window down properly and am trying to adjust an imaginary slider...one of my own finger smudges, even.

Posted via Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I have mine set to 0% and auto. Personally, I've found the auto brightness fairly quick to react and it seems to adjust well to suit the situation.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

I actually had the light sensor die on my first G3, not a common issue that I've noticed around the web (not sure I've found anyone else that this has happened to).

Lux is a good app, works exactly as advertised if you want that extra custom control over the screen brightness in various lightning conditions. Since getting my replacement G3 I've had no problems at all with the phone built in auto brightness, works without a hitch for me.

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

I've tried a few brightness widget toggles to jump from my indoor setting to outdoor. 40-100 for me. They can be a little buggy but here's one that I tried last that seemed to work okay: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.phoeniix.backlight&token=BgmES_gg

For a more elegant solution I hope to work with NFC tags. Keep one on the dashboard that will trigger a brightness adjustment for GPS usage.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I use Power Toggles. In the brightness toggle I set two or three levels as default (normal, low and very low) so in the widget can switch very quickly between them and auto. Having the switch in the notifications makes it easier when you're inside an app.

George H Martin

May 14, 2014
Visit site

It varies for me. Usually i keep it auto, but if im gonna be out for a whole day taking pictures or playing Ingress (or both), i usually set it to 30% manual. This is bright enough to see in day light without having to squint too much

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

I always use Auto but when I tried Manual I noticed it gets hot pretty quickly. :(

tapatalk LG pro D852

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

In other threads, I've discussed the G3's battery life. Altho', as I've said above, I've had the phone on 0% and auto for brightness, I have had days of heavy usage where my phone struggles to make double figures in hours (average 12-14hrs). I carry spares, so it's no big deal, but last night and today, I thought I'd trial setting the brightness manually to see how the battery reacts.

What I noticed first was that the auto brightness tends to jump to a far higher level than I personally require in most situations. When I got off the train to work today and went outside in to cloud (I work in London - lots of sunlight isn't too common...), I hit auto (from 25% manual) and the screen lit up like a firework. When I manually adjusted it to match, it was on about 90%. Sunlight will obviously bump this to 100% I imagine.

In my office, under fluorescent lighting, auto tends to set it to 50-60% or so. At home, maybe 30-40%. On Manual, I've found 25% (so far) to be more than sufficient to see the phone pretty clearly most of the time. Obviously this will vary from person to person and by the climate where you are at the time, but I've used my G3 pretty much in the same was as the previous day, and I've got about 20% more battery than I did at this time yesterday. The battery monitor also says the Andriod OS is only 12% behind screen usage in battery consumption, whereas before my screen usage was accounting for far more of the battery drain, and was often double the OS.

All I'm saying is that it may be worth trying a manual setting instead of the auto if you're finding that the G3 screen eats power, like I have, as, even with Auto on, and set to 0%, the brightness adjustment seems to be anything from 20-50% higher than I personally require under most conditions.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I've always used my phone with Auto 60%. Seems to be pretty great for me, and the only time I end up altering this is at night in a pitch black room (in bed) with no other light I use the Screen Filter application to knock down the brightness from 0% to like half that lux value, since I find this phone is way too bright for me at 0%.

I am going to try out that Lux application to see if it will do anything for me.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I dislike auto. Most of the time I'm on 50%. Night driving in the cradle with Waze running I put it on 0%. I rarely use 90%or more. It's fast enough because each tap of the brightness seems to go right where I need it. First position is 0%, next tap takes it to 50%, next tap to 90% then 100%.

Sent from Frope's sweet G3.

chippy19977

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

The auto brightness works great for daylight situations (gets bright enough to see clearly) but it's terrible for indoors in dark rooms. It's way too dark for me. I've tried everything. 50% with auto on, 70% with auto on, 100% with auto on, etc. No matter what I do, the screen stays way too dark when I'm in a dark room. It doesn't seem to matter what baseline brightness I set. With auto on, it goes way lower than the baseline I select. Almost like it completely ignores it. I have to uncheck it and manually put it at 50%. It's the one thing about this phone I hate. I also tried some third party apps, but they don't seem to work any better or, are too complicated to use. I just want something that works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463