LG G3 Mobile Data = No Push Notifications

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am having an odd problem that I first noticed earlier this week. I have been through a ton of settings and tried everything I could think of, but thus far I haven't had any luck. I wanted to see if anyone else has had or is having a similar issue.

My problem happens with several apps (gmail, Words with Friends, Facebook, etc...), so I will use gmail as my prime example. It's the easiest one to test by sending emails from my laptop.

On wifi:
  • I get a notification and the email shows up immediately.
  • Doesn't matter if the screen is on or off--it works.

On 4G (wifi disabled):
  • No notification ever sounds. Turn on screen and still nothing. Open gmail and still nothing. Swipe down to manually sync and the email finally shows up, but no notification.
  • Doesn't matter if the screen is on or off--I have to manually sync to get my email. No notification ever happens.

To me it seems like an auto-sync issue with mobile data, but here is what I have tried/checked:

• Mobile data is working (I can browse the internet, etc...)
  • Notifications in each app (gmail for this example) are turned on. For gmail, notifications are set to notify for every message.
  • Settings\Accounts\Google - my google account has every sync option checked
  • Settings\Mobile Data - mobile data is on (have toggled off & on)
  • Settings\Mobile Data\Settings - restrict background data is off (I have toggled on & off)
  • Settings\Mobile Data\Settings - auto-sync data is on (I have toggled off & on)
  • Settings\Mobile Data - no individual apps have background data disabled (I have checked & this is also after a factory reset)
  • Settings\Wireless Networks\More...\Mobile Networks - mobile data is checked
  • Settings\Wireless Networks\More...\Mobile Networks - network mode is global (I have tried changing this to LTE/CDMA with no change)
  • Settings\Wireless Networks\More...\Mobile Networks\Access Point Names - there is only one option, but I did try to "reset to default" with no change
  • As mentioned, I have performed a factory reset (twice) with no change.

I am about to make a run to the Verizon store to see if they can figure anything out. Has anyone had this issue before? I'm desperate at this point, as I need email access while at work and they don't offer wifi for personal devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Matt

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Mobile Data = No Push Notifications

It sounds like a network problem. Sometimes you need your carrier to reset your sim or your "browser" on their end. Let us know what happens.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Update:

The Verizon rep went through everything that I did and saw the same results. He started to set me up with a replacement (refurbished) device, but I requested a new SIM card first just to see if it was bugging out.

He installed a new SIM card and I had an email come through instantly. I asked him to send me a test email in the store, and when he did it also came through immediately. On my way home I asked a friend to send me an email and it, too, worked.

I thought my problem was solved, but it appears to be back. This afternoon I was on my laptop and when I logged into gmail I saw a new email that was not on my phone. Started sending test emails and I'm back to square 1.

So a new SIM card did not fix it. I'm between getting a refurbished unit and just waiting it out for the next software update (on the off-chance it fixes it). I'm hesitant to go the refurbished route, as I have terrible experiences with that. It's the whole reason I upgraded to the G3 in the first place.

Love the phone, by the way! It's just this one small (and strange) issue that has me frustrated.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It must be a setting somewhere but I'm not sure which one. Did you try resetting app preferences? Settings,Apps,tap 3 dots, Reset Preferences. Also, resetting date & time, even if they're correct, helps with some problems.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

It must be a setting somewhere but I'm not sure which one. Did you try resetting app preferences? Settings,Apps,tap 3 dots, Reset Preferences. Also, resetting date & time, even if they're correct, helps with some problems.
This should have happened with a factory reset, but I tried it anyway. No luck! I appreciate the suggestions, though!

This may or may not help.......

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...gnid=APPU_2wcWVOGSIsXmaPydgPAH&token=JPwNaTfg

Posted via the Android Central App
I came across that last night, too, and gave it a shot. It doesn't seem to make a difference. :-\ Good suggestion, though.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've just read something about a battery saver app doing funny things with mobile data. If you have any have a look in the settings or even disable it for a while and run a test.

It's a long shot but seems you have tried everything in the book.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You are about to get us stumped! Lol. We don't like that.... Factory reset would of cleared any software anomalies. Did you try the alternate Factory Reset method? Google 'how to hard reset a G3', looked for the alternate method (pressing buttons...I usually wipe phone's this way). I think it's: Press & hold power button + volume down button; when LG logo appears, release, then press the power button again ...should come up with a white screen that has Factory Reset, and other options. Sorry if I get that wrong. Can't try it and type! Lol. If that does not clear the anomaly, go to your Carrier, have them remove some feature (or on Verizon, I could do this online) like texting. After system processes to the end, power off device, reboot. Then either have the carrier re-add texting (or online). This will sort of like regenerate your phone profile. If that doesn't clear you up, the replacement will probably be the right path.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I've just read something about a battery saver app doing funny things with mobile data. If you have any have a look in the settings or even disable it for a while and run a test.

It's a long shot but seems you have tried everything in the book.
Sorry--forgot to mention that I do not use the battery saver feature. Great suggestion, though!

You are about to get us stumped! Lol. We don't like that.... Factory reset would of cleared any software anomalies. Did you try the alternate Factory Reset method? Google 'how to hard reset a G3', looked for the alternate method (pressing buttons...I usually wipe phone's this way). I think it's: Press & hold power button + volume down button; when LG logo appears, release, then press the power button again ...should come up with a white screen that has Factory Reset, and other options. Sorry if I get that wrong. Can't try it and type! Lol. If that does not clear the anomaly, go to your Carrier, have them remove some feature (or on Verizon, I could do this online) like texting. After system processes to the end, power off device, reboot. Then either have the carrier re-add texting (or online). This will sort of like regenerate your phone profile. If that doesn't clear you up, the replacement will probably be the right path.

Yes I am pulling my hair out at this point. I can normally diagnose these things pretty well but this one does have me stumped. I'll do a little research into your suggestion--thank you! If it seems like it's worth a shot I will try it before getting a replacement.

mblouir

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

No-go. :-\

I have downloaded "Push Notification Test" from the play store and it fails on Step 4 (actually receiving the push notification).

pjsherod

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I have been reading, a lot of people are having the problem of notification not coming through while on their Wi-Fi. My Facebook pictures and videos also don't load on Wi-Fi. This all started after the Lollipop update. I read someone's comment that your phone doesn't detect that the IPV6 is not working and does not connect. All I know is when I put my phone in airplane mode AND. WiFi, my notifications cone through and pictures and videos work on Facebook, but then text and other things don't work, so I'm constantly switching things to check things until there is a fix.I'm just confused on who's problem it is. I'm on Verizon and have a LG G3. Is it Verizon, internet service or Google or LG's?
I've also done a factory reset ,uninstalled and reinstalled apps, went on and forgot networks and redid them, changed my network mobile network settings and nothing works. I even called Verizon, but just got upset because she said there was only one other report of this problem and I told her I read all kinds of reports and she told me people just say stuff on the interenet!! WTH!

Fred Wilson2

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Seems to be a Verizon problem, for what I've seen mentioned everywhere.
I'm on Lollipop, with an international, unlocked (D855) LG3, on AT&T and have no problems at all.
FWIW, mine updated to Lollipop immediately, as I was setting up the phone (bought it new) so it never really even ran KK.

Also, FWIW, my APN is set as IPV4, not IPv6, by default with the AT&T sim.

Fred

pjsherod

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My husband has a Samsung Galaxy 4 Edge with Lollipop update and has no problem with his phone on the Wi-Fi, so that's why I was wondering if it was Lg's problem. I did go into my router's configuration to enable IPv6. I read that you may have to use a tunnel provider which there was a 6to4 tunnel option. I applied it, but it didn't look like it did anything, but I checked my phone and seemed to be working, but it may be to early to say that just yet. Fingers crossed. ☺

Dave Claussen

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. Strange though; ON wifi - I do receive emails/notifications of email from active syncing/push with Exchange. BUT, I do not receive Hangout alerts or Gmails. Once I step out of ANY wifi's range - alerts/notifications flow.

I wanted Lollipop so bad and now I wish i have never installed it. BTW - I have done a regular and a hard factory reset. - no diff.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I changed my WiFi settings to turn off when screen is off and now I get all notifcations. It's a temporary fix till they put out a new update.

pjsherod

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine was the complete opposite. Notifications from apps and pictures and videos wouldn't load on Facebook. I did all sorts of things including a factory reset. Nothing worked. Verizon claims it's not their problem. But i read someone's comment about the phone not properly detecting that IPv6 not working. I googled ipv6 test and did the test on my phone and it said my network connection does not support IPv6 protocol. So I had to go into my routers configuration on line and had to make a tunnel connection 6to4 and it's been working ever since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam