Question about mobile hotspot

ree3312

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
So I have horrible WiFi at home. Is getting a mobile hotspot on my phond a good idea? I just heard someone say that I should if I don't get great WiFi. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify--do you really mean to say that you have horrible wi-fi, or horrible cell signal? Bad wi-fi has more to do with the speed of your home's broadband connection, as well as the quality and features of your wi-fi router.

If that's the case, and if there's no way for you to get either a better broadband connection or a better router, then using a mobile hotspot depends on how good your mobile data signal is, and how much it costs you. If you want to activate the mobile hotspot on your phone, you usually either have to pay an additional fee to your wireless carrier (Verizon and AT&T) or get it free but have a cap on your tethering/month (T-Mobile). If you don't have unlimited data, using your phone as a hotspot for a computer can really eat up data fast, because most people use their computers for more intensive data usage (like streaming high quality movies or music).

ree3312

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes horrible WiFi lol I know what WiFi is. There's no chance in getting better service provider or anything like that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see. Sorry to ask, but I'm used to seeing mistaken terms here, so just wanted to make sure I understood you fully.

You might look into a portable hotspot (like a Mi-Fi), rather than using your phone as a hotspot.

Posted via Android Central App

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm fortunate to have an unlimited data and tethering contract and it is my hotspot for my business as it's faster and more consistent than the broadband available. That said as mentioned you can use a chunk of data very quickly. Watching TV, videos etc will quickly get into the gb's so be aware.

Steve/Boanerges Performance

ree3312

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm fortunate to have an unlimited data and tethering contract and it is my hotspot for my business as it's faster and more consistent than the broadband available. That said as mentioned you can use a chunk of data very quickly. Watching TV, videos etc will quickly get into the gb's so be aware.

Steve/Boanerges Performance

Yeah I don't do all that just social media websites and that's about it lol

Angus6611

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
If you want to activate the mobile hotspot on your phone, you usually either have to pay an additional fee to your wireless carrier (Verizon and AT&T)

This is no longer true for Verizon (Don't know about AT&T).

Verizon was ordered by the FCC to stop charging for phone hotspot/tethering a couple years ago.

They can only charge you if you're on a grandfathered unlimited plan.

That being said, I used a Verizon MIFI4620L Jetpack for a couple of years on it's own 5GB/month plan (cost $55/month) and it was OK. With a tablet or two connected to it via WiFi the speed was about average for a decent phone - sometimes slower, sometimes faster. It made sense at the time because tethering was $30/month by itself without any extra data.

Using a dedicated mobile hotspot is less attractive now because you can thether for free.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, you're right--I had forgotten about that. Do you know if Verizon imposes a cap for tethering, or do they just start charging you more if you exceed your total data limit for the month?

Angus6611

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, you're right--I had forgotten about that. Do you know if Verizon imposes a cap for tethering, or do they just start charging you more if you exceed your total data limit for the month?

No cap - they just charge you when you go over your limit. Of course that's what they want to happen...