Lg g3 camera apps and mods

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Alright so you might have heard of the G3's camera mod and apps already, here are the details.

Originally created by Hendrickson.
[MOD] Camera mod v2. Improve 4K 2160p birate… | LG G3 | XDA Forums

Then another developer Jinshu created another mod based from Hendrickson's mod.
Jishnu's Camera Mod for LG G3 Brings Better Picture and Video (V2)

Then there is this one from xdabbeb
[APP][DRIVER] XCam LG v5.1.2 [G2] | LG G2 | XDA Forums

I have downloaded the one from xdabbeb and it gives some extra options.
I would like to download the camera mod by Jinshu but would like to know what is the difference between them all and this other one I have used on my old android.

I was looking for a camera app a long time ago for my LG NITRO and couldn't find one that took advantage of the 1080P quality and then found this gem by RubberBigPepper
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=rubberbigpepper.lgCamera&token=SuhcCS24

Also on XDA here. [APP]lgCamera[6.4 final] (update september 0… | Android | XDA Forums

Developers website. lgCamera | RubberBigPepper

My question is, what is the difference between the camera "mods" and this one?
Since I can change things like bitrate and fps and iso already isn't this app better?
No hassle in trying to install the mods for features this one has and more possibly.
If there is still a difference between them all, I would love if a developer could take all these and make one bad a$$ camera app.
I will take some pictures using the stock lg camera, Xcam lg and the lgcamera app.

Let me know what you guys think.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, the mods and the app do two completely different things. Look at camera apps as API calls... they aren't actually the ones taking the picture, they are just interfacing with the camera sub-system and then post-processing. Now, some cameras have more tricks they can do than others, but the image comes in from the camera the same. That XCam is basically an enhanced camera app that adds in some extra modes over the stock. Think of it as camera = Android, camera app = a launcher like Nova.

The mods are modifying the camera's system files (mostly media_profile.xml)... for pics, they are bumping the jpg quality to 100%, which reduces the compression to 0%, reducing compression losses. You get a higher quality picture at the cost of a bigger file. Some of those mods also fuss with both the video bitrate and framerate.... setting the camera to record more frames per second as well as more data in those individual frames... again getting higher quality video at the expense of larger video files.

Why not merge them? Well, screwing with the bitrates and compression ratios are low-level OS stuffs that require modifications to system files, something that apps just don't have permission to do so. So those modes are either flashable zips or instructions on how to modify the system file in question.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, the mods and the app do two completely different things. Look at camera apps as API calls... they aren't actually the ones taking the picture, they are just interfacing with the camera sub-system and then post-processing. Now, some cameras have more tricks they can do than others, but the image comes in from the camera the same. That XCam is basically an enhanced camera app that adds in some extra modes over the stock. Think of it as camera = Android, camera app = a launcher like Nova.

The mods are modifying the camera's system files (mostly media_profile.xml)... for pics, they are bumping the jpg quality to 100%, which reduces the compression to 0%, reducing compression losses. You get a higher quality picture at the cost of a bigger file. Some of those mods also fuss with both the video bitrate and framerate.... setting the camera to record more frames per second as well as more data in those individual frames... again getting higher quality video at the expense of larger video files.

Why not merge them? Well, screwing with the bitrates and compression ratios are low-level OS stuffs that require modifications to system files, something that apps just don't have permission to do so. So those modes are either flashable zips or instructions on how to modify the system file in question.

Well written Sir :)

Posted via the Android Central App

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I know that all camera apps use what phone has built in but they add extra features sometimes.

What I'm trying to find out is what is the difference between the camera V2 mod & LGCamera app?

Looks like the LGCamera app can do a little more too.
Instead of installing the camera v2 mod and then further modifying system files with root permission only.
Wouldn't it be easier to just install the LGCamera app?

Show me the differences between them and then and only then would it give me reason to install all of them.
All of them being the camera mod v2, Xcam, Xcam donation, instead of just the LGCamera app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde