multi window... yay or nay?

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else find the multi window function extremely pointless? There are only about a few things you can do on it and I really was hoping for the ability to use it fpr Facebook and Twitter but nope.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I had multi-window on my GS4 and only used it a couple of times. Sucks that they don't release the API for that feature to more app devs
Anyway...is your device rooted? I know for the GS4 there was an xposed module that let you use any app in multi-window

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I sometimes use this to edit files in Android, so I can have both of them open. Also when I am working with tons of picture scans for archiving manga.

I also use it to browse the Play store while browsing a third party app store at the same time. This is nice because I can check the app out on the official store with the current version and screenshots which the third party app store does not have.

Since the screen is so high resolution, it provides a lot of screen real-estate to accomplish this.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It was completely useless to me in its stock form.... it's restricted to only a couple of the stock apps, few of which I actually use. But with the Flex Multi-Window tool, I was able to set my own apps.... and I've used it a couple of times when switching back and forth.

It's one of those "Nice to have/Not really needed" functions. LG added a few too many of those trying to keep up with Samsung.... but I'll allow it. :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
All of these modern phones have features that will be useful to some people, and not useful to others. Better to have the option and not use it, than really want it and not have it.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It took me a while to get a hang of it because I didn't realize there was a window swapping button, but the multi-window idea made sense once I saw I could maximize the front window and swap back and forth with the window behind it. That's the only time I really use it though.

T-Mobile G3

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love it and find it very useful but I agree the apps available is limited.

I love the hTc M8 & Sony XPERIA Z2 and not having MultiWindows was one of the reasons why I couldn't keep it.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It took me a while to get a hang of it because I didn't realize there was a window swapping button, but the multi-window idea made sense once I saw I could maximize the front window and swap back and forth with the window behind it. That's the only time I really use it though.

T-Mobile G3

How do you do this, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted via Smoldering hot LG G3

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
@Ryano89: Holding down the back button gives you the multiwindow option. When the available programs pop up, you can choose web browser twice. The live window will have a blue outline. The top of the outline has a half circle button you can hold and drag to stretch the window as far as you want. Tapping the button without dragging gives you a little menu and the options are swap, menu, maximize and close. Takes a little playing around, but it doesn't take long to figure out.

T-Mobile G3

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else find the multi window function extremely pointless? There are only about a few things you can do on it and I really was hoping for the ability to use it fpr Facebook and Twitter but nope.

Posted via Android Central App

If you are rooted you can make all apps work thru dual window. Cool.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
@Ryano89: Holding down the back button gives you the multiwindow option. When the available programs pop up, you can choose web browser twice. The live window will have a blue outline. The top of the outline has a half circle button you can hold and drag to stretch the window as far as you want. Tapping the button without dragging gives you a little menu and the options are swap, menu, maximize and close. Takes a little playing around, but it doesn't take long to figure out.

T-Mobile G3

Omg... I'm rooted and can use any app with this feature, but I didn't know about the menu!! Thank you for letting me know.

Posted via Smoldering hot LG G3

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I really like the option to only open when I tap on a link in certain apps. It allows me to see my original page/app and the new one...enlarge it, shrink it, etc.

Posted via the Android Central App