Just play with iPhone 6&6+ ..happy now..My G3 is better..

Mika Kat

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Just play with Iphone 6&6+ ..happy now..My G3 is better..

What do people DO with their phones that they hear the back panel creak? Are they using it to pry open beer bottles or something? I don't twist or bend my phone. Ever. I've got a GS3 (waiting for O*&%(*&U Sprint to deliver my G3), which is hardly built like a brick, with an aftermarket Chinese made plastic back, and I've never heard the thing creak. Ever. (No, the original back didn't break. It's safely stored away. I bought the $5 back to get a color I couldn't get otherwise.)

As far as bezels, yeah, the iPhone is no worse than the HTC. I think that phone is pretty ridiculously sized, too. OTOH, the bezels on the HTC are at least functional, with speakers that produce excellent sound. The bezels on the iPhone are naught but wasted space. The bottom one on the iPhone exists for no reason other than to hold the big round button that Apple is too hidebound to change, and the top one is sized to match and retain that classic iPhone look. Neither are useful at all. I really believe that Jobs, were he still in charge, would have recognized a design that made sense on a 3.5" phone doesn't necessarily work on bigger ones.

Of course, if they had introduced a phone with a rectangular button, or on-screen buttons, everyone would have screamed they were copying Android. But if Steve Jobs had introduced a phone with a rectangular button, all the iPHans would have gone "Oooh! A rectangular button! How space saving. How smart. Jobs is such a genius!"

Think Apple is worried that Samsung will sue them for copying their design if Apple uses and rectangular or ovoid button?

FWIW, the iPhone 6 and 6+ are certainly the best iPhones Apple has ever made. But they should be. Time marches on and technology advances. But the improvements over the 5s (other than screen size) and iOS 7 are pretty minor, and largely things that Android already does. (Oooh! The power button is on the side!) I'm not interested in an iPhone, but I'm perfectly OK with the fact that lots of people are. Competition improves the breed, and will make Android better, too.

Apple can't win in the design department. On screen buttons and they copy android. Rectangle button and Samsung sues them. Apple is stuck with its huge space taking circle button. Its a awful design with a big screen phone. Takes up so much space. Looks outdated with huge bezel it requires.
I'll take a G3 which is almost a quarter of the size.

Poor apple. They just can't catch a break.

Posted via the Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

it feels like an Android phone that's been put into that EZ mode that they you set up for your grandma. I'm all set.

Exactly how I feel

Posted via Android Central App

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

You mean that at 54 I am still cool having a G3 or should I settle for intelligent???!

Posted via the Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I stopped by at&t today and messed with the iPhone.

I can't get over the UI but I really like the look and feel of the phone. I don't know, Apple just has that certain elegance to their phone's

I can't help but like it, if it wasn't for the interface...

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

...I can't help but like it, if it wasn't for the interface...
Snap out of it it man.
Don't be taken in by the hardware.
DON'T GO INTO THE LIGHT!!!! ;)

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I stopped by at&t today and messed with the iPhone.

I can't get over the UI but I really like the look and feel of the phone. I don't know, Apple just has that certain elegance to their phone's

I can't help but like it, if it wasn't for the interface...

Absolutely agree with you! They make a beautiful device but the software blows....IMO of course.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

iphone, the miracle just for apple fans!
View attachment 137609
Wasn't the Nokia 1520 on that list so I'm sure when you shop for your Android phones you make special note about that monstrosity at the very top every time, eh? Or do you just look at the the Android phones? ;)

As for the physical button vs the onscreen ones? Well, it's down to personal preference. They both take up the same space. I love just pushing the button while it is on my desk to see notifications instead of wrapping my hands around the phone and turning the phone on at the top or god forbid, having the power button on the back so you have to pick it up every time ;). Convenient but personal preference is all. I hope they never get rid of it and find even more uses for it

I'll be sure to tell my fellow physicists at my University of California that we are all idiots because we use iPhones or started with Android and got fed up with having to baby the OS and the lag and the quality of apps and the battery life and on and on and on and then switched. ;)

Continue to have fun with your G3! I'll be getting by with my lackluster iPhone 6. Such a tough world of choice. Why can't I be smart, like you, and not want things to work all the time and have to root or use other ROMs to get decent performance? Such is life. /tear

In all seriousness, I wonder why you felt the need to go try out the iPhone 6 anyway to make you feel better about your G3? Or at least that is what the title says to me. If it were better in your eyes, would you have switched? We all try new phones but why did it make you feel better? 0.o

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
@jdhooghe: My experience of iPhones and iOS is zero. Do you find that they are more trouble free than Android? I'm just wondering as a relative newcomer to the world of smartphones, what the main differences are.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

Wasn't the Nokia 1520 on that list so I'm sure when you shop for your Android phones you make special note about that monstrosity at the very top every time, eh? Or do you just look at the the Android phones? ;)

As for the physical button vs the onscreen ones? Well, it's down to personal preference. They both take up the same space. I love just pushing the button while it is on my desk to see notifications instead of wrapping my hands around the phone and turning the phone on at the top or god forbid, having the power button on the back so you have to pick it up every time ;). Convenient but personal preference is all. I hope they never get rid of it and find even more uses for it

I'll be sure to tell my fellow physicists at my University of California that we are all idiots because we use iPhones or started with Android and got fed up with having to baby the OS and the lag and the quality of apps and the battery life and on and on and on and then switched. ;)

Continue to have fun with your G3! I'll be getting by with my lackluster iPhone 6. Such a tough world of choice. Why can't I be smart, like you, and not want things to work all the time and have to root or use other ROMs to get decent performance? Such is life. /tear

In all seriousness, I wonder why you felt the need to go try out the iPhone 6 anyway to make you feel better about your G3? Or at least that is what the title says to me. If it were better in your eyes, would you have switched? We all try new phones but why did it make you feel better? 0.o

I think a lot of people want to try it out. Not to make themselves feel better just out of curiosity. I go check out most phones. I know I'm not buying a note 4 but I'll check it out. Same with the iPhone. It's good to stay in the loop. As for battery, I don't know if I'd put that in your argument. My work buds have terrible life on their iPhones where as my various android phones have plenty left at the end of a work day. Don't know if much will change with the iPhone 6.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Well this is an android forum... There will be the slight bias to the android side... Just as would be on the iPhone forums to the iPhone side lol.

I don't mind the physical button either and find it convenient for the reason you mentioned. But that's why I do like the G3 because you can double tap the screen to quickly do the same. I believe the moto x has even a better way with just lifting phone or hovering?

I will think apple will make apple pay work where nfc payment hasn't caught on with android and that fingerprint sensor will be used more on iPhone. I know s5 has it but I hear it's quirky.

I will say I don't compare benchmark scores nowadays iphone versus andriod just because they just perform differently with different hardware requirements. Feel is more important and for me Iphone 6 using 1 gb internal memory feels as zippy as any top android phone so far using 2 or 3. My G3 certainly doesn't feel super smooth all the time.

Anyways, I think everyone's curious and wants to know how it fairs against their current phones or for whatever other reasons but discussion so far was ok. I checked it out cause wife is leaning to 6 plus. I asked her if she wanted to try my g2 first and try android but she has access to androids at her job in the tech field and she's just comfortable with iOS. That's the thing with iOS... It just works and sometimes it's good that over the years it has that UI that people know generation to generation without the fragmentation with android people running different versions for so long, different skins between manufacturers , different bloatware from carriers as well as apps like messenger making android phones perform differently from one model to next. Jobs was a genius to not allow carriers to molest his os and pretty much the same whatever iphone you use all over the world.

That being said I like the 6 a lot when I saw it. Definitely a couple of nice updates to os like notifications and widgets and other stuff android has already... But still keeping my G3 for now.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I have the G3 and I am loving it. The performance is stellar compared to any other phone I've used.

IPhone's seem to be for people who just want a good phone that works. People who don't care to tinker as much.

Android on the other hand is for people who like choice. People who like the ability to choose between numerous phones of varying shapes and sizes, performance levels, price ranges and skinned overlays.

I root my phones, sure. I don't do it because my phone is a performance lackey but rather because I like the ability to change things....

Android is more about preference and that's the primary reason I've always viewed iPhone as a secondary choice regardless of how nice I truly think their hardware and build quality is.

Will6371

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

Why would you turn the G3 over to wake it? No need to even press a button on the top phones, I haven't used a button to wake a phone over a year.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

As for the physical button vs the onscreen ones? Well, it's down to personal preference. They both take up the same space. I love just pushing the button while it is on my desk to see notifications instead of wrapping my hands around the phone and turning the phone on at the top or god forbid, having the power button on the back so you have to pick it up every time ;).

Never heard of knock-on? No need to pick up the G3 at all. I do admit I like the physical button on the Samsung phones, for the reason you state, but dear Lord does the button on the iPhone need to be so huge? A rectangular button could have cut the size of the bottom bezel in half.

Sounds like you haven't actually used a modern Android phone. The quality of current apps is just fine, thank you, and lag really isn't an issue any more. And ALL the flagship Android phones have dramatically better battery life than the iPhone 5s. We'll wait and see about the 6.

My Android phone works just fine, thank you. If I choose to play with ROMs it's because it's a hobby, not because I need to. My current phone is running stock rooted 4.4.2. Rooting lets me do SO many things that iPhone users can only dream of, having nothing to do with performance, but everything to do with capabilities.

Probably for the same reason you feel the need to hang out on Android forums to champion your iPhone. Is your manhood reaffirmed by telling us why your phone is better?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

The round button is practically a trademark of all their iPhones and iPads... not rectangular, not oval, not square... round. Has that familar and comfortable feel going from iPhone to iPhone or iPad or iPod. Doesn't bother me.

But it also serves a purpose for the fingerprint reader and I hear it's more accurate than the Samsung Galaxys... Walt Mossberg says when he tries it, it works like 50% of the time. And the reason is probably the design of the sensor from what i read the apples is just more elegant of a solution...

It uses a touch pad and captures more of the pad to make a match. It allows for 360 degree reading of the fingerprint so you can hold it one hand and your thumb can be read at angle... take out phone with one hand., thumb on pad, viola. Want to apple pay? take out phone one hand, thumb on phone, viola... paid.

The Samsung you swipe up and down and saves a number of fingerprint files on the phone. So you need two hands to swiped vertically because it cant read with finger swiping at angle of rotation. Time to pay?... Take phone out of pocket, one had hold phone, other hand swipe finger up and down... oops... up and down again... oops... up and down again. Ah forget it... Put phone back in pocket, pull out wallet, and give credit card and allow cashier to steal number and buy dinner later. :confused:

Never heard of knock-on? No need to pick up the G3 at all. I do admit I like the physical button on the Samsung phones, for the reason you state, but dear Lord does the button on the iPhone need to be so huge? A rectangular button could have cut the size of the bottom bezel in half.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I was just thinking LG could put themselves in great position if they put a fingerprint sensor on the back of their phone power button. Could be just as clean a solution... phone to payment sensor, activates phone for payment, use the same one hand and volume rockers to scroll through which credit card you want to use then put finger on power button/sensor, viola.

in a couple of years we'll do retina scans with the front facing camera.

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

Apple phones are always great at point of release because apple really optimizes the utilization of their hardware. So yeah it is zippy even with two cores and 1GB at release time., then come the updates and new features and 1 year in your Apple hardware is showing how underpowered it really is. of course being proprietary you are stuck with apples code. I have lived it since the iPhone 3g on phones, and since the Mac SE with their desktops - enjoy yourself I am done with Apple, jobs is dead and it shows.

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

Besides if you want a slick designer metal clad phone with ooh aah factor and an underpowered camera get the HTC one m8.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
donm527: If I cut off your finger....and I trust that you will excuse me if ever I do that....and keep it nice and warm, will I be able to use it to get into your phone?
I have little doubt there are people who would indeed go to such lengths.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

lol... Actually I don't know but that wouldnt be an Apple problem... that would be a problem with all companies that use biometrics like that. I would imagine if it did work, it would work better than if you were trying to do the same with an S5... you imagine having to swipe up and down that severed finger 3-4-5 times on a Galaxy S5? Only to throw the finger and phone away (I guess that would make the Samsung more secure, lol). Ugh. :confused: