G3: Do the screens break easy?

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I go to the verizon store and looking at all the phones and was attracted to the LG G3 display running in demo mode. The store employee states this is a great phone but due to the thin bezels it breaks screens easily and he steered me to the S5. Any input on this ?

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: screens break easy?

Sales rep must be slanted towards Samsung. I have my phone in a otterbox defender case and it has survived several falls from the seat or console onto the hard vinyl floor mats of my work truck. The screen may not survive a fall further than that. but most phones don't.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

When I go into a Vzw store I don't ask the reps anything about phones...... Cus they don't know. When I went n got my G3, it was like I was the rep n he was the consumer smh. He knew absolutely nothing about the G3. As far as the screen breaking easily I haven't experienced it nor have heard or read about such happenings. I have 2 cases I switch between. A Spigen slim armor n a Supcase premium hybrid. I also have a tempered shield protector on it as well.

I have dropped my phone a couple of times with no scratches or damages to the phone. Let alone broke the screen.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So I go to the verizon store and looking at all the phones and was attracted to the LG G3 display running in demo mode. The store employee states this is a great phone but due to the thin bezels it breaks screens easily and he steered me to the S5. Any input on this ?

Hogwash, pick up any phone and look how close the GLASS is to the edge. Done phones even wrap the edge in glass...

Htc has been the most durable in my experience but I've had no issues with my G3

Posted via Android Central App

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

My g3 has fallen a few times with just a thin jelly case on it (hate bulky cases) and it hasn't had a scratch. My g2 fell many times as well and never broke either. Most reps lean towards Samsung because they need to sell a certain amount each month.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

If you read just a little on Android Central, you already know more about phones than a Verizon employee with their Corp training.

Mika Kat

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Phone reps are the stupidest people. They are car salesmen basically. Don't tell you **** just that blah blah blah this Samsung phone is awesome blah blah blah.
Don't listen to them. They all talk outta their butts.
He just needs to sell Samsung phones. That's it.

Posted via the Android Central App

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

That salesmen got his extra commission. Blaaaa! Don't ask them anything but to check you out so you can leave to play with your new phone. They get extra cash to sale phones they are over stocked on. Take it back and get the Lg g3 with a glass screen protector. Screen protector because you never take that chance. Unless your just ballin like that. I had the S5 for a day and returned it because touchwiz was like having the cartoon network in a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Don't forget the salespersons have got a LOT of phones to learn about. I don't know that I could say all that much off the top of my head about all the technical specs of my phones without making an a**e of myself by getting it wrong and I actually OWN the b*****ds, and only three at that.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I don't think I've read a single post about a broken screen on a G3, here or on any of several other sites I visit. Don't worry about it.

As far as the reps, when I was checking out phones the rep at a Sprint store didn't even know the screen on the G3 was bigger than the S5. Knowledge is not a requirement to work retail. Acceptance of low wages and the ability to show up for work more or less on time are about all it takes.

Don't forget the salespersons have got a LOT of phones to learn about. I don't know that I could say all that much off the top of my head about all the technical specs of my phones without making an a**e of myself by getting it wrong and I actually OWN the b*****ds, and only three at that.

But if it was your job, wouldn't you at least make the effort?

SFG14

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

A sales guy that quick to discount one of their own products = most likely bigger commission on the Samsung unit, or some sort of quota to meet.

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

That's not an excuse. If that's your job then u supposed to know your stuff. I worked in the cellphone department at Walmart. We sold phones for all the major carriers as well as pre-paid. That's a lot of different features, plans, coverage maps, etc to know n remember. But I did it cus that was my job. A lot of these reps especially at Verizon are fresh out of college or in college n to them it's just a check.

Sent from my Verizon LG G3

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

That's their primary job, to
know the phones they sell. It's sad they are like car salesmen and don't know the product. It's stupid.

I work in telecom and their is no excuse for not knowing the product you sell. At least these people can read off the piece of paper right next to the phone.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Like most people said, don't even bother having a rep in the stores help you. I always have a bad experience in the stores here in Canada, the sales people in the stores are terrible. They always tend to steer people towards certain devices, and they rarely have the info you need when it comes to any number of things (plans, specs, etc.) You are much better off researching yourself online and purchasing through the website.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^To all above responding to my post: True, but a lot of them in the stores near me are very young and I tend to be kindly disposed to young persons. If I go in and ask for a phone and they know what a phone actually IS, that's good enough for me.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Most salesman dont know a thing about most phones. I think i know more about phones than 90% of those salesmen..

And telling they cant know everything is bull****. They do not even sell 30 high end phones. So its not hard at all tot remember the pro's and cons!

Posted by my G3 or my 1+

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Funny you mention this. One of the reps told me the same here in TX one of the time I was looking at the G3. He didn't try to steer me to any other phone but did mention he dropped the one he's using and the screen shattered. I have a G2 alos with no bezels and have dropped it and no problems.

I ended up coming back a couple weeks later and bought the G3. Any phone's screen can shatter if dropped correctly............

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: G3: screens break easy?

OP: I rather like it when salespersons do their job a little bit badly. On one occasion I was with a friend in a major UK computers/camera store, helping her buy a digital SLR for her partner. The young sales guy described a particular Nikon camera as "not a load of crap" and we both immediately liked him for it. The camera was bought.☺
On another occasion, the same friend was equally delighted when talking to a friendly and helpful youngish female bank salesperson about a loan. The latter, entering address details, kept hitting £ signs by mistake. "It's because I work in a f*****g bank!" she said. Pleasing, because you don't normally expect that in banks.☺

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: G3: screens break easy?

wow!! Thanks for all the replies. I just found out a my buddy is getting a pair of LGg3's for him and his wife. She seen the phone at a party and fell in love with the screen. I am still shopping, between the S5 , G3 , note 4 and iphone 6. It's nice to have a community like this to pull from and I see I have nothing to worry about if I pick the G3.