New Moto X. Worth Switching?

anon(9029232)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Ive only had the G3 for three months but I'm really liking the smoothness of the new Moto X. I almost bought the original Moto X over the G3. What do you guys think. Should i switch? I really like the stock android feel as well

Posted via the LG G3

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Really like the looks of the Moto X with the metal trim, wood or leather back and the cool sensors that it uses and love a closer to stock android feel. I don't think you can go wrong with it... but until reviews say otherwise, I think the LG camera is better and that's important to me to stick with LG. I can live without quadhd... pretty much am because nothing to really watch with it lol. And I question if the battery life will be better on the Moto X but they arent pushing power to a quadhd display to use more juice I guess. Some articles have called it the best Android phone out right now. :confused:

Ive only had the G3 for three months but I'm really liking the smoothness of the new Moto X. I almost bought the original Moto X over the G3. What do you guys think. Should i switch? I really like the stock android feel as well

Posted via the LG G3

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably stick with my G3 but I may pickup a new Moto X also. Especially if they run some good off contract sales for it. I don't think one is "better" than the other (G3 or new Moto X) but I think from what I've read about the X that the G3 will be a better fit for me..

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
With only 16GB and 32GB options, no way. If it was 64/128 then I would consider maybe looking at it and possibly a backup.

Sent from my VZW LG G3 (tapatalk)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The 32gb version is just a bit less expensive than a G3. But not worth the loss of screen and camera.

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Posted via the LG G3

Depends on what your using it for. Its said that it's UI fluidness is second to none. Including the Nexus 5. There's something to be said about that. Unfortunatley you'll miss out on expandable storage and a removable battery. Camera is okay.

I don't see the phone be a workhorse

Posted via the Android Central App

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I love the styling of the moto x and have been very tempted to purchase but I can't go back to battery life like that. My nexus 5 did it's job but I always carried around a battery pack.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Battery life and only 32gb of storage max is what killed the X for me. I'm finally dumping my note 2 for a G3. Thought about a note 4 but I need a change from Samsung.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
If the most important thing in your phone is stock android and smoothness of the OS then get the new Moto X. If you want (arguably) the most well rounded phone out right now get the G3. G3 will have better screen resolution, better battery, better camera. Moto X will have smoother OS and faster OS updates as well as customizing the phone via Moto Maker. Really two different phones that will appeal to different people depending on what you are looking for.

Side note: I am not saying that the G3 is "laggy" or that the new Moto X will have terrible battery life and camera. Those are just the strengths and weaknesses of each phone IMO.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
100%.... The Moto X would be tempting if not for two thing... battery and camera. Two things that I put fairly high up on my list..

By most accounts, the Moto X performs a little bit better than the Nexus 5 (my previous phone), but even with its gas-guzzling screen, the G3 still outperforms both. With the G3, I stopped having to manage power consumption or worry about topping it off during the day if I wanted to get a full day's usage out of it... I'd get 3 hours of SOT with my Nexus 5, and I'm around 5 with the G3... that's a 60% improvement and not something I am looking to regress from.

The X's camera, in near every review, gets a kind of 'meh' rating. It improves over the original, but it still OK. The G3, on the other hand, is one of the top cameras available and I can attest to that.. the thing is rock solid, reliable and takes awesome pics in most conditions and I don't have to fuss with focusing issues, etc. If I screw up a shot, it is almost certainly my fault and not the phone's.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll put my 2 cents in cause I have the OG X and my wife has the G3. If the camera is a big deal, the G3 may be better as I've read that the new X is just 'good', not excellent as the G3's camera. The X's software extras like Moto Display, touchless controls, driving mode, etc. are freaking amazing and help make the phone what it is. The only thing the G3 has in comparison is Knock Code which is cool in it's own right. As far as battery life, I get really good battery life on my OG X. I only use 2-2.5 hours of SOT so take it as you will. My wife has to charge her G3 by 5pm with about 3 hours of SOT. So in our experience it's worse than what I can get out of the X. Again, everyone will have different experiences withe the battery but that's ours. I mainly love the X due to the phone allowing you to do simple tasks without actually picking it up or even looking at it sometimes. It really does make my life much more simple and I believe that's what makes a smartphone smart. To me, the G3 is just a high end phone with high end specs to make it the 'must have' phone of the year. For some that is just fine. For me, I want more than specs, I want a excellent experience. And to conclude, Moto has been kicking **** with OS updates. Good luck on your choice.