Why are there so few wireless charging options for the AT&T model for the LG G3?

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the only Wireless Charging option available for my AT&T version of the LG G3 is the OEM Quick Circle Case and the only mat that will work is the Duracell Powermat? All the QI charging options whether they are actual back cover replacements or just the receiver stickers by themselves they all say not compatible for AT&T model.

I have the aforementioned Quick Circle case and Powermat combo which works great but I want to be able to use some of my other cases as well and charge wirelessly... :-\

Any suggestions? (aside from switching to T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon) LOL I saw that coming.

-Rob

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read AT&T doesn't use QI wireless charging and went with a completely different standard. The AT&T model is different than all the rest because of this

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
AT&T completely broke QI charging on the G3.

As of the last time I checked, the only options are to use AT&T's PMA flip cover with the powermat, or to buy a universal QI receiver.

The universal receiver has a small wire with a micro USB port on the end. You lose your USB, but gain "wireless" charging. Amazon has multiple variants at different price points.

Posted via the Android Central App

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If you start doing some reading, over at xda for instance (and other sources), you'll see that it's a big issue. Although Qi is the most popular standard, and LG intended the G3 to be Qi enabled, AT&T as usual did everything they can to make the phone as bad as possible for customers.

There are two standards; PMA and Qi. Everybody likes Qi and there are hundreds of options/accessories at good prices. PMA (Pwer Matters Alliance) is a different standard, and in fierce competition to Qi. AT&T has bought stock in PMA. Therefore, they will do everything they can to kill any customer use of the competition, Qi. Even though there are not many options for PMA charging, and even though AT&T itself can only sell one accessory; the Circle Case (for $60!). Then you go get a cheesy Duracel power mat for the actual charging. Duracel is a member of this PMA group as well obviously.

As if this were not bad enough, many AT&T G3 owners are experiencing problems even using AT&T's system!! Apparently if you get the circle case, it can stop functioning at any point. Reportedly AT&T has unofficially stated to one xda member that they know there is a problem with their G3 and wireless PMA charging can quit at any point. It's either software or some hardware goofing that AT&T did. Many users have replaced phones and circle cases many times and are still left hanging. So get out your voodoo dolls, stick an AT&T invoice inside the head, and start sticking pins in it, because that's about the only progress you will make with AT&T (may leeches infest their undershorts).

Some people report success cutting open the circle case, getting the sticker out of it, and pasting it into the back cover of the phone.
There' s also the more global issue that the phone is set up for Qi charging by LG out of the box in Korea, but all the US carriers do not sell the phone ready for charging. They make you buy something additional to get this functionality. Typical greed and lack of concern for customers. Except with AT&T, regardless of what you pay, you reportedly cannot get reliable charging- even PMA.

If I'm wrong with any of this, please correct me. If anyone has found a solution to get PMA charging working reliably, long-term, with an AT&T G3, please let us know.

rtapales

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw those options that take up the usb port.. but its such a kluge for something that should be pretty standard. Ergh! Thanks AT&T.

AT&T completely broke QI charging on the G3.

As of the last time I checked, the only options are to use AT&T's PMA flip cover with the powermat, or to buy a universal QI receiver.

The universal receiver has a small wire with a micro USB port on the end. You lose your USB, but gain "wireless" charging. Amazon has multiple variants at different price points.

Posted via the Android Central App

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
As for PMA solution, I will be offering PMA chips for sale like I did for the Qi...

I WILL HAVE PMA CHIPS AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER THIS WEEK - COMPATIBLE WITH AT&T, ROGERS AND BELL - PREORDER STARTING 9/25: LG G3 PMA Wireless C… | ATT LG G3 | XDA Forums

Sign up for newsletter at LG G3 PMA/NFC Internal Wireless Charging Sticker Adapter Chip for AT&T (D850) and Rogers/Bell (D852). This will also be the link to place your preorders open.

I WILL BE THE FIRST IN THE STATES TO OFFER THESE AND WILL HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF THEM.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
As for PMA solution, I will be offering PMA chips for sale like I did for the Qi...

I WILL HAVE PMA CHIPS AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER THIS WEEK - COMPATIBLE WITH AT&T, ROGERS AND BELL - PREORDER STARTING 9/25: LG G3 PMA Wireless C… | ATT LG G3 | XDA Forums

Sign up for newsletter at LG G3 PMA/NFC Internal Wireless Charging Sticker Adapter Chip for AT&T (D850) and Rogers/Bell (D852). This will also be the link to place your preorders open.

I WILL BE THE FIRST IN THE STATES TO OFFER THESE AND WILL HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF THEM.
You can place your order for the PMA chips! They will be shipped out next day.

lgg3pma.jpg
lgg3pma_frontback.jpg

How to install

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I understand everyone's frustration regarding AT&T and the PMA charging standard versus Qi.

I have ordered a Duracell Powermat charger and a PMA / NFC sticker mod for my G3 case. Together they both cost less than $35.00

Some members at the XDA forums website absolutely INSIST that the PMA won't work without an embedded magnet in the case under the PMA charging sticker or so on. Then I've seen other posts stating that the magnet is not necessary. I have done some research but it's not entirely clear either way when doing a Google search.

Any feedback regarding this? It would appreciated... :cool:

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T LG G3 has the Quick Circle wireless charging case and I bought the Duracell PMA charging mat. At first, I had problems with positioning the phone to get it to charge and with the phone indicating it was charging. Could have been operator error. For the past two months, when placed on the charging pad at night, it consistently chirps when I slide the phone into position, the red charging LED lights on the phone, the green light on the bottom of the pad lights, and the "wireless charging" lights up momentarily in the Quick Circle. By morning, all lights are out and the phone battery is usually at 100%, or sometimes 99% or 98%. I don't think the PMA pad keeps the battery topped off.