LG G3 Getting a lot of screen redraws when unlocking the phone.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I just noticed this starting to happen now.

Whenever I unlock the phone and the home screen comes up, it always seems to redraw the screen. I only have 2 widgets on the home screen. The stock weather widget and the Google search widget, along with the icons for my apps.

I don't recall it doing it before, but now it happens every time I unlock the phone.

Yes I know Nova launcher works great, but I prefer just staying stock cause the weather widget doesn't work with Nova and I like the LG skin and color layout. Oh, and I am not rooted.

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Getting a lot of screen redraws when unlocking the phone.

Do you have your Developer Options turned on? Anything checked there?

luckyDroid

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

By redraw do you mean it goes back to a black screen? If so move your hand from the sensor on top. My phone was auto turning itself off when I would go to unlock it and it was because I had my fingers near the sensor.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I just noticed this starting to happen now.

Whenever I unlock the phone and the home screen comes up, it always seems to redraw the screen. I only have 2 widgets on the home screen. The stock weather widget and the Google search widget, along with the icons for my apps.

I don't recall it doing it before, but now it happens every time I unlock the phone.

Yes I know Nova launcher works great, but I prefer just staying stock cause the weather widget doesn't work with Nova and I like the LG skin and color layout. Oh, and I am not rooted.

Any suggestions?

This just started a few days ago for me and my girlfriend. Neither of us have had this problem before.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Only bumping because it is really odd to see no one else is having this problem...maybe this post got buried too quick? This is a new problem. Something changed in the last week or so that is causing this.

PS. I hard reset my phone after my post before this.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Do you have your Developer Options turned on? Anything checked there?

No. Actually I don't even have the Developers menu activated.

@luckydroid

I guess to better explain it, when I unlock the phone the 2 widgets on my home screen pretty much just disappear for a second and reappear. Maybe redraw isn't the best way to explain it, but it's what came to mind when I see it.

I don't get the problem if I am doing stuff on the phone and just hit the home or back button. It's always when I unlock the phone and it gets to the home screen.

I know it can't be the sensor cause my hand isn't any near the top of the phone when I unlock it.

Really weird. I don't remember doing any app updates lately that I think would cause it.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

@luckydroid

I guess to better explain it, when I unlock the phone the 2 widgets on my home screen pretty much just disappear for a second and reappear. Maybe redraw isn't the best way to explain it, but it's what came to mind when I see it.

I don't get the problem if I am doing stuff on the phone and just hit the home or back button. It's always when I unlock the phone and it gets to the home screen.

I know it can't be the sensor cause my hand isn't any near the top of the phone when I unlock it.

Really weird. I don't remember doing any app updates lately that I think would cause it.

Seriously...that is exactly what is happening to me and my girlfriend. She uses the stock weather widget, I use HD Widgets. Same problem. I'd love to know what apps you have that updated recently. It never did this before maybe 5-7 days ago.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

@luckydroid

I know what you're talking about. It happened to me at the beginning as well. The way I got rid of it was to open up developers option and bring all animation scales (Window, Transition, Animator Duration Scale) to 'Off'. I also have the 'Mosiac' screen wipe effect and it does everything beautifully with no redraw issues. Hope that helps you!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^You're saying that both you and your girlfriend have G3s and that you both started getting the problem at the same time? Is this the same carrier? And that there is nothing that you both did on your phones that could possibly account for it?
If you both bought the phones at the same time, same place, perhaps they're from the same batch....could be relevant.

Posted via Android Central App

Eric Ortiz3

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same situation and every animation is turned off. I have been with this phone just a couple day an i am planning to go to att to return it. Because i dont know if this a hardware issue or is the kit kat version used in this phone Ineed to know if some was able to fix this or if this an issues with the sofware.

Carlitosxfeng

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey. I was having the same problem. And let me tell you that it has nothing to do with animation or developer options. The only way i got rid of it was to set a knock code. I used to hate knock code but I kinda like it now. I have the same widget you have. The clock weather widget and the google bar. I hope it helps you.

Sent from my LG-F400S

nodnarb1974

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have also been having this very same issue and posted about it earlier today. I thought it was related to having the stock weather widget since it seemed to start when I changed from the smart notice. It started do it again though.

I will give knock code a go and see if that helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here it went away but now seems worse than ever and I have not changed anything.

Posted via Android Central App

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
ya mine went away yesterday, so it's not doing it now. Very weird, but I'm sure it will be back.

I am curious if anyone running a different launcher such as Nova or Apex are experiencing these issues?

One thing that is really irking me is that LG released atleast 3 performance updates already for the Euro versions of the G3, yet the US versions have not. The Tmobile version I do believe had one update, but it wasn't a performance update like the Euro versions.

Some dude on XDA who says he works at Verizon as a tech, says that there have been no updates come in from LG as of yet, so Verizon doesn't have anything to test so far.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
ya mine went away yesterday, so it's not doing it now. Very weird, but I'm sure it will be back.

I am curious if anyone running a different launcher such as Nova or Apex are experiencing these issues?

One thing that is really irking me is that LG released atleast 3 performance updates already for the Euro versions of the G3, yet the US versions have not. The Tmobile version I do believe had one update, but it wasn't a performance update like the Euro versions.

Some dude on XDA who says he works at Verizon as a tech, says that there have been no updates come in from LG as of yet, so Verizon doesn't have anything to test so far.

My girlfriend and I both had this happening too, as I mentioned above. It just happened out of nowhere. It got to be so annoying we both went to Nova. I have not had any redraws since. Even though Nova is technically "nicer," I was fine with stock and don't think I should have to use a third party launcher just to get a good user experience. To top that, I had to buy a $5 calendar widget because Nova doesn't support LG's native calendar.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend and I both had this happening too, as I mentioned above. It just happened out of nowhere. It got to be so annoying we both went to Nova. I have not had any redraws since. Even though Nova is technically "nicer," I was fine with stock and don't think I should have to use a third party launcher just to get a good user experience. To top that, I had to buy a $5 calendar widget because Nova doesn't support LG's native calendar.

Couldn't you have just downloaded the Google Calendar app and use that widget? It's free.

Also I agree. Nova is nice, but I prefer to just stay stock for now, but I might just have to put on Nova if it really starts to get on my nerves.

My main gripe with that is that you cannot use the stock weather widget with Nova, and I really like that widget.

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I too have had this issue...I found it happens with some background pictures and not others...got me wondering if it has to do with higher resolution pictures.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't you have just downloaded the Google Calendar app and use that widget? It's free.

Also I agree. Nova is nice, but I prefer to just stay stock for now, but I might just have to put on Nova if it really starts to get on my nerves.

My main gripe with that is that you cannot use the stock weather widget with Nova, and I really like that widget.

I like the LG Month view widget. The Google Calendar app widget is more of an "agenda" type - and it is ugly in my opinion. So I had to find one that was month view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde