Favorite weather app?

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been jumping from Accuweather to the weather channel. Still haven't found a good weather app. Any one have Any suggestions? I don't care for widgets much.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I like 1-Weather as well. Good amount of information and easy to navigate UI. I've been playing with Arcus Weather for locally accurate, 'will it rain in the next 5 minutes?" type forecasts.... but 1W is my workhorse.

xamadeix

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I like 1-Weather as well. Good amount of information and easy to navigate UI. I've been playing with Arcus Weather for locally accurate, 'will it rain in the next 5 minutes?" type forecasts.... but 1W is my workhorse.

I heard 1weather is a battery drain? At least I've heard someone say that

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Not relevant to you guys is the BBC weather app....very nice app, but have had to uninstall it several times due to occasional battery drain....about 20% overnight. Despite reporting, not fixed the last time I tried so I have to use others.

Posted via Android Central App

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I tried AccuWeather just because it finished first in some ranking they did a few months ago but I didn't like it. I went back to Weather Bug Elite.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A lot of weather apps can be battery hogs, but most allow you to customize update intervals and location types... It is inexcusable that some basic weather apps access your GPS to get your location. Unless you are using an app like Nooly or Arcos, which tries to tell you almost to the minute if it will rain, apps pretty much only give you your local regional forecast, or at least the forecast at the closest weather station that they report for. In instances like that, network based location is more than suitable.

And for most cases, an interval of less than 3 hours is a waste of time. There are some exceptions, of course, like if you live in Tornado Alley, but even then, that's that the EWS alerts are for.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Beautiful Widgets.
Nice combo clock and weather set up. :)

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

Last edited:

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Yahoo weather

I downloaded this last night, it seems to work alright, interface looks quite nice.

I think any weather app is going to be hit and miss on the forecasts and local weather honestly. I've tried a bunch (weather underground, weather bug, accuweather, open weather map etc.) All seem to be OK most of the time, but then off at other times.

1weather looks kind of nice, might give that a whirl at some point.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I find the graphics to be top notch.

That's the gist of it really. All of these apps are tabulating mostly the same forecast data.... there's some variation, but for the most part, you are getting similar results. It all boils down to look and feel. 1W looks pretty slick whereas a lot of the other apps I've used seem pretty dated and clunky.

Plus, there's a lot of layers of information.... The main pages have everything condensed into an easy to navigate and read, horizontally-scrolled format, but if you dig a little deeper, say in the extended forecast screen, you'll find those cool detailed NWS narratives for current, near, short and long terms, etc... those are nice for the science geek in me since it goes over weather patterns, fronts, trends, etc. Stuff like how a front way the hell out in Alaska will develop over the course of the week. I love that sort of thing.

Every other weather app just seems muddled. It's weather, it shouldn't be difficult.