G3 video camera tips for shooting live action?

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm taking my new G3 to a car race this coming weekend and I'm wondering if there are any tips I should know for shooting something like that? Use auto focus, don't use auto focus, etc.

I tried it out on a high school football game last Friday night and it seemed to do ok when I just left it alone and zoomed in and out.

Also I'm going to two concerts in November and would like to know if there are any tricks to shooting in low light.

Thanks.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I record my son's football games at night and also went to the motley crue show and recorded some in low light. The auto works well.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I record my son's football games at night and also went to the motley crue show and recorded some in low light. The auto works well.

Do you just need to tap the center of the screen and hit the AF button or is there a way for it to always be on? When I shot the two clips I hit auto focus about mid way through each and couldn't really tell that much except for the AF at times would get a little blurry while it was trying to adjust.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I think in my experience you can turn it off or on in the settings. If it's on and you do tap the screen to focus while recording then it will turn it off and focus where you tapped. When you do that the AF button appears on-screen to turn it back on if you want.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I think in my experience you can turn it off or on in the settings. If it's on and you do tap the screen to focus while recording then it will turn it off and focus where you tapped. When you do that the AF button appears on-screen to turn it back on if you want.

Oh ok so it's probably on all the time since I haven't been into any settings. I thought tapping the screen is what turned it on since it brought up the icon. Thanks for that.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Just to follow up on how it went at the race this past weekend. The G3 did very well in my opinion. The videos that I shot and shown to people, their reaction has been on how crystal clear it looks. The videos I shot early in the morning in the paddock area was when the sun was directly behind me so I had a problem with glare and couldn't see the screen very well but you can't tell anything in the finished video. The only other problem was when I tried to film the start of the race from my seat. At that time the sun was shining directly down on the cars so they were sort of shimmering which made the videos appear fuzzy. But in fairness it would probably take some more sophisticated video equipment other than a phone to get rid of the glare.

I've got two concerts to go to next month so I'll see how it does in low light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech