I'm Getting An LG G3 Instead Of A Note 4

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I was to going to pre-order a Note 4 from T-Mobile. While I think $750.00 is too much for a smartphone, Samsung was offering a $200 trade-in for any working smartphone. However, as is true of many "good deals," there was a catch: the trade-in must be made through a participating retailer and must have a minimum trade-in value of $10.00. I was able to find an old Samsung Epic 4G which had a trade-in value of only $6.00 through T-Mobile. I checked the trade-in value of some other older phones and most were in the $6 to $8 range.

Since I didn't have a suitable trade-in and wasn't willing to pay $750, I decided to look at alternatives. I'm 75 with poor eyesight and clumsy fingers, so I need at least a 5.5" display, and it must be an Android phone. I decided to get an LG G3 after reading a lot of reviews, good and bad, and trying out the phone in the local T-Mobile store. I've had a Samsung Note 2 for the past couple of years and the one feature I think I'll miss is the S-pen. I got the Note 2 for the large screen and didn't think I'd ever use the S-pen but I've been surprised at the number of times I've pulled out the S-pen to make a quick note.

Once I've had the LG G3 for a few weeks I'll let you know if I made a good choice.

UPDATE, 10/08/2014

The LG G3 is a very good phone but, unfortunately, it's not the right phone for me. It cost me a $50 T-Mobile restocking fee to try the G3 but, if I hadn't tried, I would always wonder.

The G3 is well built, innovative, and operates quickly and smoothly. I like the knock feature and the G3 launcher is the best stock launcher I've seen. Contrary to some reviews I read, I encountered no stuttering (although I was using Apex instead of the stock launcher) and the colors did not appear washed out, unless you place it next to a Samsung device with saturated colors. The camera is amazing, battery life seems good, and the G3 functions well as a phone.

I should probably explain why I used the Apex launcher instead of the stock G3 launcher. The G3 launcher is easy to customize with lots of options but, unfortunately, it lacks the ability to lock the desktop, and that feature is one of the main reasons I prefer the Apex launcher to the Nova launcher. The ability to lock the desktop may not be important to most people, but when our grandchildren ride in the car they like to play games on my phone, and one of the most popular games is move the icons around and try to hide them from Grandpa.

After all that praise, why did I return the G3? As I mentioned, I'm 75 with poor eyesight and clumsy fingers, and I need a little larger phone. I also realized that Samsung's S-pen is important for me, not just for note taking but because it's a real aid for older folks with clumsy fingers. Therefore, in spite of the many qualities of the G3 and the relatively high cost of the Note 4, I returned the G3 and pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Last edited:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely. Love to hear your thoughts and insights.
Let us know if you have any questions.

The N4 does seem a bit overpriced. It will probably still be a big seller. Crazy.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Tri-Band LG G3.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Placed my order for the Note 4, out of curiosity, but I will be keeping my G3 oh yesss, best of both :)

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
$750 doesn't sound too bad to me as a UK user. The lowest UK price for the Note 4 at the moment seems to be £629 which works out at $1006.40c, so it seems we're paying more for our phones than US users. $750 equals £470.50p, about what I paid for my G3. Please send food parcels.

Posted via Android Central App

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
$750 doesn't sound too bad to me as a UK user. The lowest UK price for the Note 4 at the moment seems to be £629 which works out at $1006.40c, so it seems we're paying more for our phones than US users. $750 equals £470.50p, about what I paid for my G3. Please send food parcels.
Ah, some of the many benefits of our American Revolution -- no British tax on tea and lower smartphone prices.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Placed my order for the Note 4, out of curiosity, but I will be keeping my G3 oh yesss, best of both :)

(Let us know when you start posting your famous reviews in the N4 forum...a lot of us would like to know how it compares to the G3.)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
(Let us know when you start posting your famous reviews in the N4 forum...a lot of us would like to know how it compares to the G3.)

Think its released on the 10th here so may have it in a week or maybe that's optimistic lol will keep you posted.

Oh and be sure to check out my Note 4 review lol

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
And here I was thinking it was impressive that my 71 year-old grandmother carried an iPhone.
A 75 year-old man rooting Android phones? So awesome. Must have a life-long knack for tech.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
My 88 year old grandpa uses an iPhone 4s better than most users I see with iPhones. I would like to introduce him to Android, but maybe next year.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Despite having the 805 processor - the G3's 801 is still faster because touchwiz. :)

I can only assume you haven't used a recent Samsung device. I have the G3, my (adult) son has an S5. Stock unrooted, the S5 is faster and smoother than the G3. It has none of the lag and stutter so common on our phones. Yes, when it was first released it had serious lag, but Samsung has fixed that over a couple of OTAs. We have to hope LG will do the same.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Ah, some of the many benefits of our American Revolution -- no British tax on tea and lower smartphone prices.

But don't forget that UK price includes VAT, so to really compare prices you'd need to add in sales tax in most states, and a portion of the income tax you pay.