Can the phone ring time be extended?

Liz Blake

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The length of time the phone rings, before diverting to voicemail, is only only 15 seconds, which is much shorter than the 30 seconds I had on my BlackBerry.

Is there any way to extend the amount of time it rings before it diverts? I've searched settings and sounds, but not found anything yet :(

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
The length of time the phone rings, before diverting to voice-mail, is only only 15 seconds, which is much shorter than the 30 seconds I had on my BlackBerry.

Is there any way to extend the amount of time it rings before it diverts? I've searched settings and sounds, but not found anything yet :(

As far as I'm aware, how long your phone rings before going to VM or being diverted elsewhere is carrier related. Did you change carrier when you went from BB to your LG?

It might be worth calling up your VM and seeing if there's anything in the options there, or even speaking to your carrier. I had the BBZ30 before the G3, and I'm fairly sure I never came across a setting on the actual handset that could change it (altho' I was happy with the length of time it rang, so never really looked).

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answer Stwutter. I'm with the same carrier, so there's been no changes in that respect. I'll check the VM options.

I don't know about recently, but my old carrier used to have options (20 or 30 seconds I think), but as you get a new SIM when you get a new handset, it can sometimes set to the default if their are options available.

Be interested to know what they say.

Liz Blake

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you joesf - that has solved my problem completely!

In case anyone else is interested, the following was posted by chaplain in September 2011 and I've just followed the instructions which has increased the ring length time from 15 to 30 seconds.

On most Droids, and most carriers:

1. Dial *#61# and click Send. You will see your VM access number and the current ring delay time.
2. Write down the phone number displayed (including +1).
3. Dial **61*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11*30# and hit Send. +1xxxyyyzzzz is the number you wrote down previously, 30 is the delay in seconds. The delay can be set in 5 second increments, 30 is maximum.
4. Dial *#61# to verify that the new settings are active.

I had looked for relevant threads, but not back that far, so many thanks for finding it for me :)

Andree Desorcy

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Strange...when I tried entering the exact code/numbers, it did not work. I tried several times. I figured I'd try using *61*+1xxxyyyzzzz*11*30# instead of **61.... and voila, it worked for me. One star before 61 instead of 2...not sure why though. Big thank you as the short ring duration was driving me crazy! Appreciate the tip!

Brownie56

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
On my year old Galaxy S5 it's: **61*121*10*30# which gives 30 seconds ring time before going onto answerphone (or change the last figure to 20# for 20 seconds).. I know this is correct 'cos I've just done it! :)

TeamTwister

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for this. The short ring time has been driving me crazy.

It works fine so long as you use the copied number exactly as given ..... the +1 prefix refers to the USA, for me in the UK it's +44.

anon(9467178)

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I have AT&T. I just did this and on my Galaxy Note 3 this worked great. On my LG V10 it messed up the voicemail so when people called they would get a generic AT&T Voicemail message that asked them to input the number of the person in which they wanted to leave the message for, instead of my personal greeting. I had to call AT&T and get an advanced tech support person to reset my voicemail and add extra time to my ring. The V10 ring is really long now and works great.

My advice is do this only on phones from 2014 which is when this post was originated. If you have a later phone just call your carrier and have them do it. While I was on the line with AT&T the guy said that he maxed out the Note 3 ring but when I tried it again it was short like before I did the dial codes. So on that phone you have to do the dial codes and AT&T can't help you. On other phones, especially later ones, just call your carrier.

Michael4397

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Just as a practical matter, even if you can set your phone to ring for 30 seconds before going to voicemail, most people will hang up in less time than that. Yes, studies have been done confirming this.

Granted, traditional rules of telephone courtesy may have called for one to let the phone ring 10 times before hanging up. But in the real world, circa 2016, few people will call, then let the phone ring that long before hanging up.

The chief exceptions being for calling someone known to be elderly or having physical difficulty getting to the phone. Hey, if you call a 90 year old, or someone with two broken legs, you're an ***** if you only give her 4-5 rings to answer the phone.

I'm not saying one should hang up so soon. This isn't me talking about "should," at all. This is me noting what actually is.

With a 30 second delay time before a call goes to voicemail, many callers will hang up before the 30 seconds are up. So you'll wind up with fewer voicemails, and more "call from this number, no message left" experiences. Which, frankly, some people may not mind. But there you have it.

And this is why so many carriers have, as a default, no more than 15 seconds - sometimes even less than that - before a call goes to voicemail.

NanGD

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
thanks, joesf for the link, and Liz Blake for detailing the steps. I have AT&T, Samsung Galaxy S5, and Android 6.0.1, and this method worked perfectly!! I had previously called AT&T about lengthening the ring-time, and support told me it couldn't be done.

As far as anyone hanging up before 30 seconds, that's fine with me. If I don't know the number and they can't wait to leave a vm, I ignore the call.