W00T!! All LG G3 models can now be unlocked!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, happy day!!!

BUMP!

So they cracked the code! They will be posting info for all the models soon, but this is AWESOME news. We should expect custom dev to start speeding up a bit... and more eyes on means that we'll most likely get all the bugs ironed out (including a working camera and bluetooth).

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm fairly new to the G3 and the Android system, what does this actually do? It seems it's different from root.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm fairly new to the G3 and the Android system, what does this actually do? It seems it's different from root.

Root access just means that you have full admin rights to your device... so you can fiddle with pretty much everything on the phone. But most phones have locked bootloaders, which means that the device can only boot from the software provided by the OEM (or a customized version very close to it). All the G3 models (except the T-Mobile one) were locked..... so no custom ROMs (like CyanogenMod or OmniROM) and you also couldn't really flash a custom recovery, such as TWRP, which allows you to make backups of your phone and flash custom versions of Android.

And running custom ROMs means you are no longer beholden to your OEM and carreir for updates. I used to have a Verizon Wireless SIII... and I unlocked it and loaded a custom build of Android 4.4 (KitKat) only a couple of weeks after Google released it, MONTHS before any carriers sent out a 4.4 OTA.

It's a big deal.... I don't really mind the Optimus UI that LG put on the G3... but I still prefer 'stock' Android. There are some test builds out there for the T-Mobile G3 (which I have) and the phone runs much better without all that OEM stuff slapped on. This means that there will be a lot more people who can develop... and good for us.