Moto Droid Turbo: Just When You Thought The G3 Would Reign King Awhile

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Enter the Motorola DROID Turbo. I've always loved the reliability in Moto's signal strength and have considered them well built. If I didn't quickly jump on the G3 on July 10th (first day for G3 orders) I'd have a real tough time deciding on what phone to get. If Samsung didn't put second rate crap radios in their phones, the Note 4 would have been another contender.

Oh well. Advancements in technology are inevitable. I just wish the G3 had more time on the throne.

Posted via the Android Central App

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Screen is smaller with non-removable battery and no SD card slot. Not exactly a winner in my book. Also, going by the screenshots, looks to be as big as the G3, yet smaller screen, hmm...

If this is the best that Motorola can do with a 3 month head start (more like 4) then I have misgivings. Still, the Moto S and possibly something else will be coming from them as Google is having them manufacture the new Nexus phone. makes sense since they own Motorola Mobility.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Screen is smaller with non-removable battery and no SD card slot. Not exactly a winner in my book. Also, going by the screenshots, looks to be as big as the G3, yet smaller screen, hmm...

If this is the best that Motorola can do with a 3 month head start (more like 4) then I have misgivings. Still, the Moto S and possibly something else will be coming from them as Google is having them manufacture the new Nexus phone. makes sense since they own Motorola Mobility.

I am a firm believer in removable batteries but 3900mAh is a lot of juice. No SD support? Then I need at least 64 GB flash memory. Two valid points you made and those specific points would be important ones to consider.

scotty729

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The specs look really good and I am sure it is going to be a really nice device, but I don't think it will be king of the Android mountain. The g3 has the SD card slot, removable battery and a very good battery life on top of that. The g3 also has the best displays on the market, they make the displays for many oem's so it will not edge us out there. And in my opinion the LG g3 is and always will be one of the most customizable devices you can buy, and for me that is very important. We will see what happens but I think it will be the g4 that tops out the g3 lol.

Posted via Android Central App

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The specs look really good and I am sure it is going to be a really nice device, but I don't think it will be king of the Android mountain. The g3 has the SD card slot, removable battery and a very good battery life on top of that. The g3 also has the best displays on the market, they make the displays for many oem's so it will not edge us out there. And in my opinion the LG g3 is and always will be one of the most customizable devices you can buy, and for me that is very important. We will see what happens but I think it will be the g4 that tops out the g3 lol.

See, my mistake is comparing 801 vs 805 SoC. I'm a spec freak. I like processing speed. I'm sure the G3, M8 and ,S5 will all be respectable for a while.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The key thing the Moto has that other phones do not is the Moto Software Suite (Moto Display, Moto Voice, etc.) Once you have it, it's hard to go back to a normal phone. Though I agree on the no SD card slot can be a bummer for some.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'd like to know, as well. What makes the Moto Software Suite so "Must Have" ???

The same software as on the OG X and '14 X. I'm not saying the software is for everyone but it's a major difference between the two phones on this discussion.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon exclusive, it appears... can't even consider this phone, even if I wanted to.

moto x play is what theyre calling the AT&T version, just went through FCC

the only issue i have with this new droid is it has Capacitive buttons and unsure about what the camera will hold, 21mp is nothing unless is takes good low light pics with a good sensor.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
the only issue i have with this new droid is it has Capacitive buttons and unsure about what the camera will hold, 21mp is nothing unless is takes good low light pics with a good sensor.

Those buttons will definitely add to the vertical phone size. And that is something I wouldn't want.

JaiMento

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
The same software as on the OG X and '14 X. I'm not saying the software is for everyone but it's a major difference between the two phones on this discussion.

Which still leaves me clueless. I've never had any of those phones. I am genuinely curious about the software suite and what makes it a must have.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Which still leaves me clueless. I've never had any of those phones. I am genuinely curious about the software suite and what makes it a must have.

Moto Assist

For setting the do-not-disturb sleep mode, driving mode (automatically read back texts and incoming calls), home mode (same sort of thing, so you don't have to always have your phone in your pocket or have to run to see who's calling), and a meeting mode that ties into your calendar so your phone won't bug you when you're busy.
Moto Actions

This uses the four IR ports on the front of the phone. You can wave to silence calls and alarms, and it looks for your approaching hand (or face or whatever) to turn on the display peek so you can see time and notifications without waking the entire phone.

The old "OK, Moto X" voice command prompt still works, but now you can get cute with it. "OK, NeckBeard" is absolutely an option.

Actions also controls the wrist-flick action for launching the camera app, a feature you don't realize how much you missed until you start using other phones without it.
Moto Voice

Motorola made talking to your phone cool with the original Moto X. And it's gotten better. You now can official set your own launch phrase. The old "OK, Moto X" still works just fine, but now you can get cute with it. "OK, NeckBeard" is absolutely an option. And like before, you can utter your launch phrase at any time — the phone doesn't actually have to be awake.

You also can now speak your PIN to unlock the phone, if that's what you're using (though Trusted Bluetooth devices are back, and we highly recommend that if you have a Bluetooth device nearby), and you can choose with voice commands work while the phone is locked.
Moto Display

Moto Display

This is the renamed Active Display. It's what lets you peek at the clock and notifications without having to hit the power button, and it's controlled form within the umbrella Moto app. You can chose whether you want to use it in the first place (it's on by default), choose which apps you want to appear in Moto Display (maybe it's not the best idea to have a Tinder notification show up while you're sitting next to the boss), and you can chose to hide notification details if you're using a screen lock.

Again, one of the important things here is that each of those features is able to be updated independently from the operating system. That means Motorola — and not the carriers — controls those updates.

From AC's review. Moto X Review (2014) | Android Central

Ashley_Renee79

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Saw your post and it made me feel a little better ☺. I got my g3 a little over 3 weeks ago I think and I had a moto x before that. When I saw the new Motorola phone I was sort of bummed. I like the g3 but really miss a lot of the features of the moto x. The always listening, reading my texts when driving and being able to read and or delete texts and emails from the lock screens with active notifications were amazing features but g3 has a much nicer display, larger display and kick a** camera so it's a keeper.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Can't ever go back to a smaller screen, did it once; Droid DNA 5" to HTC One 4.7"

There is a way of using a door-sized phone that is nevertheless small. I'll just get out my philosophy outfit....
You have a phone with a 3" display, and that's small. You get another with a display a trillionth of an inch bigger, which is not enough to make a difference to the size description, so that's small too. You repeat that, and again you find that the screen which you've agreed is small, is still small, because increasing the dimension by a trillionth of an inch can't make it anything other than small. And so on. There's never a point at which you can say that the trillionth of an inch increase changes the description from small to big. So you add a trillionth of an inch each time until you've got a phone with a ten-foot display, which is....small. Heh.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I wouldnt call 5.2" small. Personally

I find 4.7" to 5.2" the best size range with 5.2" at the limit because I did love my G2. My G3 is ok but I prefer the G2 size. And this Moto will have 2 day battery on a quadhd display, the best processor and imagine OS closer to stock and as the article says... the very highest of high-end phones for Verizon. I think it's a better phone than the upcoming Nexus because 5.9 is ridiculous. The deal breaker is Verizon. Wish they had it for AT&T

Motorola Droid Turbo revealed: Snapdragon 805, Quad HD and two-day battery | Android Central

Can't ever go back to a smaller screen, did it once; Droid DNA 5" to HTC One 4.7"

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I didn't say 5.2" was small. I said I can't go back to a smaller screen. My G3 is 5.5", the Turbo is 5.2 making it "smaller".
No different than I can't go back to an analog, dot matrix cell phone.

I wouldnt call 5.2" small. Personally

I find 4.7" to 5.2" the best size range with 5.2" at the limit because I did love my G2. My G3 is ok but I prefer the G2 size. And this Moto will have 2 day battery on a quadhd display, the best processor and imagine OS closer to stock and as the article says... the very highest of high-end phones for Verizon. I think it's a better phone than the upcoming Nexus because 5.9 is ridiculous. The deal breaker is Verizon. Wish they had it for AT&T

Motorola Droid Turbo revealed: Snapdragon 805, Quad HD and two-day battery | Android Central