G3 Battery Life?

Cooz Cooz

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
So I'm deciding on either the HTC One M8 or the G3 and I'm leaning towards the G3 but I've been reading about the battery life being terrible. Some reviews say that it lasts 10-12 and others say it barely lasts 5 hours. I use my phone all throughout the day whether it's being on social media, checking sports scores or diagnosing myself with cancer through WebMD. Battery life is a huge factor to me since I'm coming from an iPhone (4s) that would barely last 4 hours. So what is your honest experience with the G3's battery life?

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
So I'm deciding on either the HTC One M8 or the G3 and I'm leaning towards the G3 but I've been reading about the battery life being terrible. Some reviews say that it lasts 10-12 and others say it barely lasts 5 hours. I use my phone all throughout the day whether it's being on social media, checking sports scores or diagnosing myself with cancer through WebMD. Battery life is a huge factor to me since I'm coming from an iPhone (4s) that would barely last 4 hours. So what is your honest experience with the G3's battery life?

I got my G3 a few months ago, having come from a Blackberry Z30, which had a decent battery life, so had similar concerns.

I've posted on here a few times about the G3 battery-life. I consider myself a fairly heavy user (which is conceptual, admittedly...) - I play a few screen intensive games to and from work most weekdays (maybe 60 mins worth in total), have a large Twitter acc. which is always on the go, a bit of FB, plenty of e-mail, a few texts, the odd bit of video streaming on YT or AC... I unplug at 6am most days, and by the time I hit the hay at around 10.30pm, I usually have around 10% left.

Basically, the G3 battery is very good. But, like any top-end handset, if you use the screen loads, it'll drop. When I look at my battery chart at the end of the day, it's not just a perfect steady line down to 10% - it's full of flats and sudden dips... but it averages out over most days.

Everyone has their own experience, but you will find people on here who claim either 5 hours and dead, or the battery lasting 3 days - There's always going to be exceptions, but if you get 5 hours from the G3, it's either faulty, has a rogue app(s) that's killing it, or you're just hammering streaming videos on a loop. Equally, claims of day after day without charges can only be virtual non-use. Modern day smartphones do not last for days and days on end if you actually use them.

And don't forget - the battery comes out, and you can by a spare for a few £$ online - you can't do that with and iPhone or a M8. Reportedly, the Sony Z2/3 has an amazing battery (Sony do seem to get this right in their phones). My work colleague has a similar usage on his Z2 to me, and tends to get 20% more battery than I - but again, his battery doesn't come out.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Brilliant detailed reply, Stwutter!

I have a BlackBerry Z30, and albeit I like my BlackBerry and my almost a day and a half battery life, the lack of basic apps (unless you get Snap or Amazon) is simply annoying...

Anyway, all that to say, I'm considering an LG G3, and was concerned about battery life. I appreciate your thoughts...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why people say the battery sucks. With my usage, I got 3 hours of use from my nexus 5, now I can get 5+ with the G3... And since I'm rarely on the phone for 5 hours in a day, there is usually a lot left in the tank at the end of the day. I no longer worry about my phone dying on me, no matter what I'm doing....

YMMV, the G3 has a hungry screen and wouldn't keep up with a M8 in an endurance test, but it is by no means weak.

will_solo

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I can usually go about 2 days before charging my battery. I would consider myself a fairly heavy user, especially when I am talking/messaging my wife. I also have my personal Gmail, and work Google Apps account on my phone which does push for email. I do also play Tetris Blitz throughout the day when I have some free time, which that is what mainly kills my battery. But by the end of day 1, I'm usually around 60% life. On day 2, by the time I go to sleep (11pm) I need to charge. So I would say this is way better than I was getting from my Note 2 at the end there.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I can usually go about 2 days before charging my battery. I would consider myself a fairly heavy user, especially when I am talking/messaging my wife. I also have my personal Gmail, and work Google Apps account on my phone which does push for email. I do also play Tetris Blitz throughout the day when I have some free time, which that is what mainly kills my battery. But by the end of day 1, I'm usually around 60% life. On day 2, by the time I go to sleep (11pm) I need to charge. So I would say this is way better than I was getting from my Note 2 at the end there.

With reasonable use this is the max I think you can expect. There are claims of 3, 4 or even 5 days on one charge, but if I stock my fridge up on Monday and don't eat anything, the fridge is still full on Friday. I'd be hungry and bored though...

Posted via the Android Central App

tripled1

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I love my G3. However, I had poor results with the stock battery. For $25, I bought a battery that is more than double the power. That's how I got to the place I am now and again I love it. You lose nfc and the phone gets thicker. I don't find an issue with either of these sacrafices. I love the screen being bigger than the s5 and the battery life is out of this world. So, if I fall asleep and foget to plug in my phone, it's not a crisis. There's also the portable chargers or case chargers if you prefer.

You can find the battery if you google 7500mAh-Extended-Battery-cover-For-LG-G3 on ebay or zero lemon for the case charger or there are countless seperate portable chargers. I hear Mugen does a great extended battery too.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
With reasonable use this is the max I think you can expect. There are claims of 3, 4 or even 5 days on one charge, but if I stock my fridge up on Monday and don't eat anything, the fridge is still full on Friday. I'd be hungry and bored though...

Posted via the Android Central App

I was very pleased when shortly after a full charge my G3 told me I had something well over a thousand hours of standby time left....I worked it out at 42 days. It would be interesting to test it but on the whole as you say phones, and food, are for use.

Posted via Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I was very pleased when shortly after a full charge my G3 told me I had something well over a thousand hours of standby time left....I worked it out at 42 days. It would be interesting to test it but on the whole as you say phones, and food, are for use.

Ha. Yeah. You'll notice that, after a full overnight charge, the G3 will usually go 1 or 2 hours before the battery meter even drops to 99%. I often get 240+ hours showing then... Obviously this changes pretty quickly as you use it. Not sure if that's normal on all Android handsets, but the G3 does seems to have an 'over-charge' percentage that doesn't show up.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if that's normal on all Android handsets, but the G3 does seems to have an 'over-charge' percentage that doesn't show up.

Yep... I've seen it on some other phones, just not nearly as much as the G3. Basically, they just set the calibration a bit too low. I think they are just playing mind-games. People take their phones off the charger and see it is still 100 an hour or two later.

Or maybe its some functional reason.... Dunno.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Yep... I've seen it on some other phones, just not nearly as much as the G3. Basically, they just set the calibration a bit too low. I think they are just playing mind-games. People take their phones off the charger and see it is still 100 an hour or two later.

Or maybe its some functional reason.... Dunno.

I'd rather it was 'accurate', so to speak, but I've learned to live with it...

overzeetop

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone 5 to the G3 last summer and, honestly, there is almost no difference in battery life. If I use it a lot, I *can* run the battery down in a few hours, but on a typical day I'll go from fully charged to ~40% battery at the end of the day. I'd guess I'm getting 4-5 screen-on hours, which is as good or better than the iPhone. For $15 I picked up two spare batteries and a charger (And then LG threw in a free batt and charger last week), so even if I beat the heck out of the phone I'm just a few seconds away from a full charge. I pretty much never worry about battery life anymore.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather it was 'accurate', so to speak, but I've learned to live with it...

Oh, I agree. I mean, at the end of the day, it doesn't make a difference in terms of the total charge. The only thing it accomplishes is confusion (and some wonky battery stats)

Joshua Kirkland1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
That chart looks like Sprint's stock. Seriously though, it looks worse than I've ever seen on mine. I played this game called "Ravenwood something bla bla knockoff whatever" for about an hour one time and I lost about 25% charge but that was in my opinion abnormal use. I'd check out an app that checks on your battery-software cohesiveness and battery health or something. Btw sorry to all you guys that got let go by Sprint.

andec23

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I got my G3 after i had enough of my samsung S3, samsung is rubbish to my G3. I use it for a week now and im a heavy user. After 2 hours of usage its on 100% so i am amazed as samsung frim the very beginning lost 20% per hour. Sound quality is way better, so the loudspeaker works as it should be, unlike on my samsung. I was thinking between the sony z3 or the lg g3 but because the battery non removable in sony even though its waterproof, i picked g3. So far didnt regret it, i just hope it wont fall in the loo by mistake! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon