Update on Verizon

rockets95

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Handful of issues that the update seems to fix:
- Calendar widget is much smoother. It used to always reload when you scroll to different days.
- Signal switching from 3g to 4g is much faster.
- Overall performance seems to have improved.
- BT connect between different devices seems to be better.

Another off topic thing I noticed is the software update download didn't count against my data limit. Pleasant surprise.

Posted via Android Central App

DirtyLarry1

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Let us know how it goes.

Posted via the Android Central App
Worked like a champ.
The only difference was for the step to get the phone recognized in the Device Manager under the Coms port, I had to install the Verizon specific LG Mobile Driver file. That file is named LG_VZW_UnitedWHQL_v2.18.0 as of October 31st, Halloween.

I installed the OTA update shortly after my phone was back to the spot it was prior, which I really have to give credit where credit is due. Google has made that entire process so damn smooth it is great. I was literally back up and running to where I was within 20 minutes. I just need to sign into a few apps.

I have to say, I do miss the damn Animated Weather on the lock screen. LOL

To answer someone above, I did rename some files in that process, so perhaps that is why it did not work for me initially.

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I updated on 10/30, I was rooted with exposed framework installed and the wifi tether mod. I was getting the error trying to upgrade until I removed the hotspot hack and renamed the files back to the original names. After that it went through no problem. I enabled survival mode in SU and uninstalled the framework and after updating re-installed the framework.

As far as any changes after the update, there is a major improvement in signal strength. Before the update when I was at work in the maintenance shop I would struggle to get any data signal. I would have to toggle airplane mode and remove my case to maybe get one bar for a short period of time and then have to toggle again to try and get it back. After the update I had two bars of 4g the whole time and that's without removing the case or toggling airplane mode. I am very happy with the update.

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Update worked well for me. I see the improvements noted in the above posts plus wireless charging seems to work better...a lot easier to find the sweet spot for placement on the charging pad. The only issue I have that doesn't seem to have been addressed is the compass inaccuracy....seems to be 180 degrees off most of the time.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm still not working and I have tried everything except unrooting and updating that way. I do not believe I have the tether root file.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I updated on 10/30, I was rooted with exposed framework installed and the wifi tether mod. I was getting the error trying to upgrade until I removed the hotspot hack and renamed the files back to the original names. After that it went through no problem. I enabled survival mode in SU and uninstalled the framework and after updating re-installed the framework.

As far as any changes after the update, there is a major improvement in signal strength. Before the update when I was at work in the maintenance shop I would struggle to get any data signal. I would have to toggle airplane mode and remove my case to maybe get one bar for a short period of time and then have to toggle again to try and get it back. After the update I had two bars of 4g the whole time and that's without removing the case or toggling airplane mode. I am very happy with the update.

I've tried every single thing and I'm extremely sad because I don't know what to do anymore and I wnt6yhe update. How do I exactly remove the Hotspot hack? Step by step instructions would help, thanks in advance

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't get the whole root thing, particularly with this phone. Getting weather animations on lock screen? Seriously?

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the whole root thing, particularly with this phone. Getting weather animations on lock screen? Seriously?

Just for my understanding of what you said... Are you asking why people root for just weather animations? Or was that different from what your question was?

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

You don't need root for weather animations on your lock screen....

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've tried every single thing and I'm extremely sad because I don't know what to do anymore and I wnt6yhe update. How do I exactly remove the Hotspot hack? Step by step instructions would help, thanks in advance

What all did you modify when you rooted? Did you do a hotspot mod? The one I did ([MOD] Verizon G3 HotspotMod Fully Working (N… | Verizon LG G3 | XDA Forums) involved renaming hotspotprovision.apk and hotspotprvision.odex and then moving a replacement file to this folder. To change it back I just removed the replacement file and changed the names back.

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just for my understanding of what you said... Are you asking why people root for just weather animations? Or was that different from what your question was?

There is a lot more you can do than just weather animations. I did the hotspot mod and installed the xposed framework and G3 Tweakbox. The framework allows numerous modifications, a couple I have are amplify battery saving module and the pie control module for the chrome browser. The G3 tweakbox adds tons of mods, just a few I use are removing the volume warning when plugging in headphones, disable the sounds when changing volumes, added more steps to the volume adjustment, removing the input switcher notification when the keyboard is up, disable shutter sounds in camera app.

Replied to wrong message. :)

Last edited:

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot more you can do than just weather animations. I did the hotspot mod and installed the xposed framework and G3 Tweakbox. The framework allows numerous modifications, a couple I have are amplify battery saving module and the pie control module for the chrome browser. The G3 tweakbox adds tons of mods, just a few I use are removing the volume warning when plugging in headphones, disable the sounds when changing volumes, added more steps to the volume adjustment, removing the input switcher notification when the keyboard is up, disable shutter sounds in camera app.

Replied to wrong message. :)

Haha I see that.... Yeah I know what it can do was just asking the poster what they meant by just weather animations.

EDIT: Had to unroot and then update and now going to try and re-root using ioroot

Last edited: