Will G3 lag go with Android 5.0 L update?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To quote the man who sought spiritual advice from the statue of Abraham Lincoln about whether rubbing turps on his head would cure his baldness: 'That just made it woiss.'
Well, hopefully not with the G3 plus L, but you never know.

Posted via the Android Central App

scotty729

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I believe that android 5.0 is just going to make a near perfect phone that much better. But remember it will be a while before we see the update, because we are at the mercy of our carriers, I just hope that it is not like the kitkat update that was a mess, at least if you are a sprint customer like myself. Very excited about this update, this is going to be a major one.

Posted via Android Central App

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
To those who claim they have no lag simply haven't compared it to another high end Android. I thought my phone was amazing for 3 weeks until I compared it to my brother's HTC One M8. Only then did I realize I had lag. I was ecstatic for the first 3 weeks then pissed off ever since once I saw how fast the M8 was. Luckily I'm on AT&T and the ART runtime made my G3 faster than my brother's M8 but before the conversion I was angry. The bottom line is you have lag but don't know it yet until you compare it to an M8 or moto X2 then you will realize especially when switching between apps in the multitasking view. Regardless I know Lollipop will fix it on the AT&T variants for sure because it is an optimized OS which runs on ART by default but I can say the same for the Verizon variants although I'm confident all will be well after the update since LG is aware of the issue and will optimize their software accordingly....

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
To those who claim they have no lag simply haven't compared it to another high end Android. I thought my phone was amazing for 3 weeks until I compared it to my brother's HTC One M8. Only then did I realize I had lag. I was ecstatic for the first 3 weeks then pissed off ever since once I saw how fast the M8 was. Luckily I'm on AT&T and the ART runtime made my G3 faster than my brother's M8 but before the conversion I was angry. The bottom line is you have lag but don't know it yet until you compare it to an M8 or moto X2 then you will realize especially when switching between apps in the multitasking view. Regardless I know Lollipop will fix it on the AT&T variants for sure because it is an optimized OS which runs on ART by default but I can say the same for the Verizon variants although I'm confident all will be well after the update since LG is aware of the issue and will optimize their software accordingly....

I thought my G3 was pretty fast and perfect as well until the device started getting hotter than usual and took it back for a Note 4. The speed of the Note far exceeds the G3 by alot. There is a difference between an 801 processor on a quad hd phone and an 805 processor on a quad hd phone and it definitely has shown.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Its a great device and all, but I just feel in my opinion they rushed it too soon just to be the first to have the quad hd screen. They didn't do enough homework on the internals and how it would work out with a more powerful screen.

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Its a great device and all, but I just feel in my opinion they rushed it too soon just to be the first to have the quad hd screen. They didn't do enough homework on the internals and how it would work out with a more powerful screen.

I'm thoroughly convinced the 801 chip set can push a 1440p screen smoothly. IMO the lag has more to do with unoptimized software and bugs rather than an underpowered chip set. We will know more after the Lollipop update. With that being said since they were trying to be the first to do it right then they should have just thrown in the 805 but its too late now. Let's see what happens....

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm excited about android 5.0. Seems like the G3 is getting it before the Samsung phones which is always a good thing !

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The 5.0 build will most likely come without any of the same UI issues that the 4.4.2 G3 builds have... Actually, I'm pretty sure of that. They've already fixed the UI problems, its just that everyone hasn't had the right build rolled out to them yet. I loaded the CloudyG3 1.1 ROM, which is a multi-model ROM based on the international 10M kit and it runs substantially better than the T-Mobile 10M variants I've tried.

So its fixed.... and 5.0 will most likely be even more improved.

As an aside.... The 'lag' isn't so much lag as UI optimization issues. Screen transitions are a bit jerky, windows scroll quicker than the content renders. Quirks in the underlying framework that are unavoidable on a brand new hardware AND software platform. It's not horrible, and depending on how old a phone you came from, you might hardly, if ever notice. But if you hop on a Nexus 5 or an HTC M8, or even (better) run one of recently released custom ROMs that are AOSP based (CM, AICP, PAC, Liquid Smooth, etc). Back to back, there's a difference.

But..... again... LG has figured most all of those interface problems so I wouldn't suspect any problems with LP