G3 for a penny on Amazon Wireless (on contract)

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Right now I have a Galaxy S3, which is starting to get very laggy and is giving me some problems that are tough to deal with. I'd like to upgrade before the end of the year. So I've kind of been holding out in the hopes that the Xperia Z3 comes to Sprint, but it's feeling more and more like it won't happen. I have been looking around to see my options...the Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8), the LG G3, the Note 4.

They all look good to me, but the S5 is kind of ugly and sounds like it has some issues with lag. The Note 4 is more than I want to spend. The HTC One and the LG G3 both sound like solid choices...and today I noticed Amazon is offering the G3 for a penny now on contract.

Would you folks who already have this device say it's worth getting into a two-year contract for this device? I mean...it's ONE CENT! Only thing I might be concerned about is the long-term life for this phone. Thoughts?

ThreeofNine

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Biggest problem with the AT&T 2 year contract price is that you'll be paying $40/month every month until you change phones or cancel or until AT&T changes prices. The Next Plans bill the extra Next fee for the length of the term you sign up for and then the phone charge goes back to $15/month for data plans 10GB or higher. Yes $.01 looks good for the G3 but calculate the total cost of ownership for you. such as 2 year contract price $.01 plus $40 x 36 months + $1440.01 Next 24 (30 month term) $19.33 + 15.00 x 30 = $1029.90 plus $15.00 x 6 months + $90.00 Grand total of $1119.60!

I have a Galaxy S3 too, but I'll wait until next Spring when more 64 bit phones will be out. I'll install Cyanogenmod CM12 Lollipop when it comes out in a few weeks to hold me over til spring. Good luck!

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Biggest problem with the AT&T 2 year contract price is that you'll be paying $40/month every month until you change phones or cancel or until AT&T changes prices. The Next Plans bill the extra Next fee for the length of the term you sign up for and then the phone charge goes back to $15/month for data plans 10GB or higher. Yes $.01 looks good for the G3 but calculate the total cost of ownership for you. such as 2 year contract price $.01 plus $40 x 36 months + $1440.01 Next 24 (30 month term) $19.33 + 15.00 x 30 = $1029.90 plus $15.00 x 6 months + $90.00 Grand total of $1119.60!

But I'd wait until next Spring when more 64 bit phones will be out. Good luck!

I'm on Sprint. My plan costs would not change at all from what I'm paying now. I'd likely get insurance for the first year, perhaps...that'd be the only cost difference. My main concern is the life of the device itself.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone since July and I really like it. If you're still using the S3 you'll notice pretty big differences in speed and reliability. If you were happy getting 2 years out of the S3, then I think you'll be happy with the G3 for two years. Some people, myself included, switch more frequently because of the rapid advances in technology, but that's going to be a concern no matter what phone you get. You can't lose for that price!

TJWINS

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Right now I have a Galaxy S3, which is starting to get very laggy and is giving me some problems that are tough to deal with. I'd like to upgrade before the end of the year. So I've kind of been holding out in the hopes that the Xperia Z3 comes to Sprint, but it's feeling more and more like it won't happen. I have been looking around to see my options...the Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8), the LG G3, the Note 4.

They all look good to me, but the S5 is kind of ugly and sounds like it has some issues with lag. The Note 4 is more than I want to spend. The HTC One and the LG G3 both sound like solid choices...and today I noticed Amazon is offering the G3 for a penny now on contract.

Would you folks who already have this device say it's worth getting into a two-year contract for this device? I mean...it's ONE CENT! Only thing I might be concerned about is the long-term life for this phone. Thoughts?

If lag is what you are trying to avoid then I would consider twice before getting a G3. I love my G3 and it has zero lag since converting the runtime from Dalvik to ART on AT&T but ART doesn't run smoothly on the Sprint models. I'm sure Lollipop will fix this but if you plan on buying a G3 on Sprint and trying to avoid lag then look elsewhere. With that being said I love my G3 and wouldn't trade it for anything but I don't have lag either. Good luck...

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm