My LG G3 Brick

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Got my LG G3 last Friday and it worked beautifully. I spent the last several days getting it just how I want it, setting up the home screens, downloading apps...all the good stuff to make it my own. I never dropped it. Never got it wet. Never rooted it.
Last night I set it on my nightstand with 70% battery in perfect working condition.
This morning it wouldn't turn on.

I plugged it in to the charger. Nothing.
I plugged it in to a different charger. Nothing.
I pulled the battery out for a couple minutes, put it back in...nothing.
I held the power button down for a full 90 seconds. Nothing.

Just talked to an Amazon rep (that's where I got it, so I can't take it to a Sprint store) and they're going to have to send a replacement.
So the advantage of buying through Amazon was that I only paid a penny for it.
The disadvantage of buying through Amazon is that I'm now at the mercy of shipping times. Hopefully I'll get a one-day replacement and have my new one in-hand tomorrow afternoon.

I'm hoping this is just a freak occurrence and not a common problem with the G3. Has anyone else seen or have this happen?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've seen it reported with every brand of phone, but I think yours is the first report I've seen on a G3. Manufacturing isn't 100% perfect, and sometimes things die. That's why we have warranties.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I've seen it reported with every brand of phone, but I think yours is the first report I've seen on a G3. Manufacturing isn't 100% perfect, and sometimes things die. That's why we have warranties.

Yeah...I know every product has a defective one every now and then. I was just curious whether this had been an issue with anyone else. I really like the G3, so hopefully the replacement doesn't give me any problems!

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I moved to the G3 because I had a similar issue happen twice, my wife has had it happen three times, but you're the first I've heard have it happen with a G3.

T-Mobile G3

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Crazy story. Unless your outlet is malfunctioning, I wouldn't worry about the replacement doing the same thing. I would change chargers if you don't get a replacement charger as well.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thought I recognized an old webOS user name :) I've had mine now since August and really like it. Moving from a Galaxy S3, it has a better battery life, better camera, a little less bloated than TouchWiz, and a snappier feel. I picked up a ZeroLemon 9,000mA battery. It makes the phone huge, I could probably knock someone out with it, but I like the fact I get over 2 days of use now :)

Rooting the phone was super easy too. No computer required with Stump Root.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Ugh...still waiting on the replacement. I've been phone-free since Thursday! They sent out the replacement via one-day shipping on Friday, but it was apparently too late in the day to make it here by Saturday. It's funny because I hate talking on the phone, but I also hate not having a phone!

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have learned my lesson to wait for a phone promotion before buying! I bought the Nexus for $199 and the Droid DNA for $199 cause I had to have them. They were both like $49 in 3 months, and retired by month 4 (not really, just seemed that way). Never pay full price. And look around at whoever sells your carriers phone. Someone, somewhere has a better price.

Posted via the Android Central App

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have learned my lesson to wait for a phone promotion before buying! I bought the Nexus for $199 and the Droid DNA for $199 cause I had to have them. They were both like $49 in 3 months, and retired by month 4 (not really, just seemed that way). Never pay full price. And look around at whoever sells your carriers phone. Someone, somewhere has a better price.

Exactly why I bought through Amazon. Only deal better than 1 cent would have been free.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile has had great warranty support, imho. Yes, I'm paying eight bucks a month for it, but replacing five defective phones has only cost about 80 bucks, and I never paid for postage. The thought of having to mail my phone somewhere and then waiting to see if the problem is worthy of being replaced under warranty, and then waiting to get it back kills me.

T-Mobile G3

pharmacyfella82

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Was searching around on the internet and stumbled across your post. EXACT same thing happened to me yesterday. Amazon, one cent phone upgrade. Set phone down with 70% battery, next time I look at it the phone is bricked. I haven't tried to flash it, just enabled ART runtime in developer options.

Either way, Amazon is shipping me a new phone tomorrow. But how odd is that???

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Was searching around on the internet and stumbled across your post. EXACT same thing happened to me yesterday. Amazon, one cent phone upgrade. Set phone down with 70% battery, next time I look at it the phone is bricked. I haven't tried to flash it, just enabled ART runtime in developer options.

Either way, Amazon is shipping me a new phone tomorrow. But how odd is that???

Definitely odd. Maybe yours and mine were part of a defective batch. I'm sure someone out there tracks that stuff as it gets reported.

The replacement is still going and working great.

Ba Bui

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
It has happened again. Worked when I went to bed last night. When I woke up it was dead.

Tks for the update man, now I know there are others like me, I bought my LG G3 D850 on April 20, 2016, it lasted until December 2016 before it died... tried hardbrick/unbrick (Qualcomm 9008) it, I was able to factory reset it but then EVERYTIME the phone turn on it would only lasts 30s-60s before it suddenly shuts off. I decided to leave it aside until today, December 2017, I tried hardbrick/unbricking it again, didn't work, so my phone is basically a brick now, rest in peace LG G3 D850.
-In the memory of the first phone I actually loved using.
Best regards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87