Marques Brownlee: G3 not in top 5 for 2014

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Wow...a lot of sensitive people here :'( Just wondering if any of you watched his review before you criticized him? It's pretty good really. There's a lot going for the phone in his opinion. And some of what he doesn't like makes sense to me.

> In general he doesn't like most Android skins - I agree. He's not crazy about the LG skin, his opinion but after having a Samsung phone for 3 years I'm very suspicious about a heavily skinned phone, one reason I'm considering a Moto.
> He wasn't crazy about the back firing speaker - I don't like them either, I'm tired of cupping my hands to hear the speaker better. Personally for me the bar has been raised and rear firing speakers have no place on phones anymore and is a big negative for me considering this phone.
> He didn't like the phone heating up - it wouldn't let him turn the brightness up because of the temp. Not an unreasonable point and I see it discussed in this forum from time to time. It almost stopped him from continuing to use Google Maps because it was heating up. If I was navigating and the phone shut down because of heat I'd be furious, unreasonable?

In the end it's a very positive review, not sure why it's being met with so much negativity when I'll bet many haven't even watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH1qFd24bY&list=UUBJycsmduvYEL83R_U4JriQ

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I find his reviews awesome and I dig his insight into these devices.

He was critical of the G3 because his overheated on him and had various software issues. I wouldn't have been thrilled with a device like that either. That being said, he still had tons of good things to say about the phone. And he did a whole video just talking about the beautiful display.

Lots of whiners in this thread. Bu*thurt cause he didn't put your phone in the top 5. LOL, its a damn phone list.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Best Smartphones of 2014: OnePlus One, Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6 Plus | BGR

OK, whatever. And I haven't personally touched all these phones, so what do I know? But the OnePlus One, really dude?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Thats because it isn't. Other than QHD display, it has nothing special, and the choice of the snap801 and LG's poorly coded screen really take a toll on the phone. Maybe next year with the g4 LG will get it right.

Man the **** hurt is strong in this forum. Relax people it is "HIS" top phones. Not everyone has your opinion, don't get your panties in a bunch over it. If the phone works for you who cares what others say or choose over it?

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Lot of angry people over one person's subjective opinion. If you like the G3, great, but that doesn't mean he has to. Be together, not the same remember?

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
OK, let's see your top ten list. I will be amazed to see 10 phones above the G3.
I actually made an error in my comment. My intention was to write that the G3 would not be in my top 5 for the year. Not that it matters, but my top 5 would be the Note 4, Note Edge, Nexus 6, Moto X (2014), Droid Turbo, with honorable mention to the iPhone 6 Plus.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually made an error in my comment. My intention was to write that the G3 would not be in my top 5 for the year. Not that it matters, but my top 5 would be the Note 4, Note Edge, Nexus 6, Moto X (2014), Droid Turbo, with honorable mention to the iPhone 6 Plus.

And this is exactly why lists are just that...opinions of the people that made them. You're list in my opinion:
Note 4: Samsung - no thanks, after my GS3 I'm done
Note Edge: See above
Nexus 6: Too big, might as well stuff my MacBook Pro in my pocket
MotoX: Darn good phone, maybe the best of the year...they forgot to put a battery in it
Droid Turbo: Maybe...but reading some of the problems over there I just might hold off until next year
iPhone 6 plus: I own a MacBook Pro, iPad, iMac, Airport Express, Airport Extreme but their phones - no way, love the customization possibilities of Android.

So my list would vary but I'm not getting bent over yours, just like Marquis Brownlee's, I appreciate his analysis and agree on some points, others don't really figure into my needs/wants.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
And this is exactly why lists are just that...opinions of the people that made them. You're list in my opinion:
Note 4: Samsung - no thanks, after my GS3 I'm done
Note Edge: See above
Nexus 6: Too big, might as well stuff my MacBook Pro in my pocket
MotoX: Darn good phone, maybe the best of the year...they forgot to put a battery in it
Droid Turbo: Maybe...but reading some of the problems over there I just might hold off until next year
iPhone 6 plus: I own a MacBook Pro, iPad, iMac, Airport Express, Airport Extreme but their phones - no way, love the customization possibilities of Android.

So my list would vary but I'm not getting bent over yours, just like Marquis Brownlee's, I appreciate his analysis and agree on some points, others don't really figure into my needs/wants.
Your opinion respected.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree with the Note 4 if I had big hands, but it's just too uncomfortable for me to hold. Ditto the Nexus 6 (I'm guessing - can't actually find one to try. The 6 might be better as part of the "best of 2015" lists than 2014, given how hard it is to find.

Note Edge is cool. I give Samsung props for innovating, which is something I'm not seeing much from other manufacturers. But the functionality of the edge screen is minimal, and the price is way too high.

Moto X? If it had a 3000 mA battery in it, I might have bought it. Moto is the only other company in this industry that's actually innovating with their software features. But I don't want a phone that has worse battery life than my last one.

Droid Turbo looks impressive. Like almost all new phones, it was released with beta software. The issues will get worked out over the next 6 months. I'll agree with this choice, except for the fact that it's limited to the Darth Verizon network.

Jos P1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Just joined the Android family based off his review of the G3, aint even mad it's not in "his" top 5. Still love this phone.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Lisa Gade, another mobile tech reviewer I like, has the G3 in "her" top 5, and the OPO isn't in the top 10. FWIW ;)

Sent from my Nokia 909 using Tapatalk

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Lot of angry people over one person's subjective opinion. If you like the G3, great, but that doesn't mean he has to. Be together, not the same remember?

True, but to fail to judge such a groundbreaking and outstanding device as the G3, to be unquestionably one of the top five phones of 2014 is, at the very least, a little surprising.

Posted via Android Central App

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
True, but to fail to judge such a groundbreaking and outstanding device as the G3, to be unquestionably one of the top five phones of 2014 is, at the very least, a little surprising.

Posted via Android Central App

I agree, and would definitely put it in my top 5.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I had never seen a single review by him until yesterday, but man they are so much better than just about anyone else out there. I can't even quite pinpoint exactly what it is that makes his reviews so much better; they just are.

Anyway I watched his videos for the Oneplus One and the G3, he made several for each. He loves both phones. He seems to have a thing for big phones, as well as stock Android. I think that's why he probably gave the nod to the Oneplus and Nexus 6. Also like I said, in his videos you can tell how much he likes the Oneplus. If it was one of his favorite devices of this year, then how can you fault him for that opinion?

Bostonsfavson

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I watched the OnePlus review today as well. Did he mention battery life? I didn't hear anything about it, but it would be absurd to review a phone without mentioning it

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I had never seen a single review by him until yesterday, but man they are so much better than just about anyone else out there. I can't even quite pinpoint exactly what it is that makes his reviews so much better; they just are.

Anyway I watched his videos for the Oneplus One and the G3, he made several for each. He loves both phones. He seems to have a thing for big phones, as well as stock Android. I think that's why he probably gave the nod to the Oneplus and Nexus 6. Also like I said, in his videos you can tell how much he likes the Oneplus. If it was one of his favorite devices of this year, then how can you fault him for that opinion?

Agree on all points.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
It's funny because while watching his videos I'll occasionally click on a review by someone else, like PocketNow, and man they're just gawd awful. It's like a boring person reading a list of specs with a picture in the background.

Agree on all points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC