How has your naked G3 held up?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of losing the case (but keeping a screen protector). I'm thinking a few less millimeters will make for a better one-handed experience 😜

So how jacked up ( or not) is your case-less G3 after a few months?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

jaypster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have warranty/insurance on your G3, then I won't advice using it without a case. I thought about it the first few days but it is a bit slippery and I didn't want to take the risk of dropping my phone and end up using it with scratches and dents. But then if you decide to go that path, you should install a tempered glass screen protector and a full body skin. :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine is holding up fine. I don't find it slippery. I do have a little mark on the silver band on one side of the phone,but that's it.

But if you're really worried about getting scratches on your phone, keep it in a case. It will, eventually, get scratched up. That's just the nature of any portable handheld device. I buy my phone to use, not to display as art, so I don't really care if it gets some scratches on it.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought a case when i got the phone. Had to remove the case daily to put it on the wireless charger. after 3 days i tossed the case and have been running naked ever since. The phone has held up fine with a few matt spots where it rubs from being put in the center console of my car, but are barely noticeable. However the other day i climbed out of the car without realizing it was on my lap and it fell on to some rough concrete and picked up a few extra scratches, but again barely noticeable unless you give it a close inspection. Would rather buy a new back cover after a year than carry it around in a bulky case. Besides it looks so much nicer without a case.

Last edited:

jaypster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you mean. Its what happened with my HTC One M7. At first I used a case but eventually I took it off because the phone looked better & felt better w/o the case. With the G3, I'll be using a case because I want to keep it in good condition so that the resale value would be better. :)

spam2021

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ive had my G3 for a few months now and running naked since day one, It doesnt look bad but it sits in work truck most of day. I work with oil so I constantly get oily smudges on screen, but phone has held up pretty well. I dont plan on reselling so I'm not worried about a few scratches here and there. I slipped a case on it at mall and did not like the feel at all. Just my 2 cents

Posted via the Android Central App

waterise

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Dropped mine in 2 months more than I dropped my iPhone that I had for 2+ years. Only damage that's been done is the bottom right corner is slightly nicked.

Posted via the Android Central App

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought a case when i got the phone. Had to remove the case daily to put it on the wireless charger. ....
That LG Quick Circle case I got for my AT&T G3 is fantastic. Replaces the back, allows wireless charging, circle cover protects the screen.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine has held up very well. I used the quick circle case for about a month, but I like the phone better without a case.

Had a S3 and note 3 before this that I also used without a case, never dropped any of them.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I got my first handheld device in 1998: a Palm III PDA. In the last 16 years, I've broken exactly one device. And it was that Palm III, when I slammed a car door against my leg, with the Palm in my pocket, screen facing out.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
With the minimalistic cases available why gamble? My case is so thin that the width is negligible with or without the case.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I go back and forth between a Nillkin snap on, Verus and a snap on carbon fiber.
Use the Nillkin more becasue it is so thin but also has a great texture on the back making it really easy to hold on to.

Which case u using? I got 3, what's one more? ??????

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I go back and forth between a Nillkin snap on, Verus and a snap on carbon fiber.
Use the Nillkin more becasue it is so thin but also has a great texture on the back making it really easy to hold on to.

Which case u using? I got 3, what's one more? 😔

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
With the minimalistic cases available why gamble? My case is so thin that the width is negligible with or without the case.

Because I prefer the look and feel without a case. Also not much of a gamble for me personally as I don't drop my phones

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Because I really don't think a case that thin offers any real protection in a drop. It may prevent it from getting scratched, but to provide impact protection it has to be thick enough, and soft enough, to "give" and absorb some of the impact force. A thin hard case just transmits the impact straight through.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed and I hate scratches so it does 2 things for me; no scratches and a better grip (the naked G3 is so slippery).

Because I really don't think a case that thin offers any real protection in a drop. It may prevent it from getting scratched, but to provide impact protection it has to be thick enough, and soft enough, to "give" and absorb some of the impact force. A thin hard case just transmits the impact straight through.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have been using my phone without a case since I got it (June 24th?). No scratches on it and I never drop my phones.

I have considered skins just to change the look of it. Never would consider a case unless travelling. In that situation I would get the Zerolemon one as a temporary thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith