Switch to LG G3 ?

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.

I'm thinking of switching to the LG G3 from a HTC One. I've read all the reviews and the only real downside I consistently read about is the battery life. I can live with that as I am never far from a charger in the car, home, or at work. While I love this HTC phone, I am fed up with the megapixel camera. I can never seem to get a good shot of the kids running around, or of anything unless its completely still. How good is the camera on this phone for a casual user who wants decent pictures? Also, does this phone have the IR blaster or something similar to control my tv and cable box? One more question. how loud is the speaker phone? That a big one for me, as I tend to use speakerphone a lot while driving.

Thank you.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello all.

I'm thinking of switching to the LG G3 from a HTC One. I've read all the reviews and the only real downside I consistently read about is the battery life. I can live with that as I am never far from a charger in the car, home, or at work. While I love this HTC phone, I am fed up with the megapixel camera. I can never seem to get a good shot of the kids running around, or of anything unless its completely still. How good is the camera on this phone for a casual user who wants decent pictures? Also, does this phone have the IR blaster or something similar to control my tv and cable box? One more question. how loud is the speaker phone? That a big one for me, as I tend to use speakerphone a lot while driving.

Thank you.

Hi,

I had an LG G3 for a few months until recently.

The camera is excellent. I found it extremely user friendly, and shots in normal and low light were of very good quality. The laser focus really does make a big difference. Catching moving shots is easier on the G3 than any other phone I've used (although the Sony Z3 I have now is also very good at this).

It has an IR blaster, and it's own LG remote control set up pre installed. It works really well - I had 3 TV's and my Sat. TV box all hooked up to it. The only downside I found was the range. I found anything over 2 or 3 meters, or not pointing directly at it usually meant it wouldn't work. I think this may be normal for IR blasters though currently, but it's the only one I've ever tried.

The speaker is on the back of the G3. It's 1w, and the sound itself for a small speaker is fine, but it's no boom-sound that you may have been used to on your HTC. Also, with it being on the back, the sound level and, to some extent, the sound quality, is heavily effected when you put the phone down or are watching something on YT as the noise is essentially firing away from you.

The battery is OK. I found 12-16hrs max with medium to heavy use, but as you said, if this isn't an issue, then that's fine for you. But it's the main reason I changed to the Z3. But, of course, the G3 battery is swappable, so you can always carry a spare should you wish.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, battery life is not that bad (except for a small majority). I am still continually amazed with how good the pictures are with the G3. Compared with my wifes S5, i consistently come out with better images which leads her to grabbing my phone every-time she wants to take a photo. The focus is super fast (not so much on HDR mode). The phone does have an IR blaster which has presets which work with just about any tv etc. The IR blaster can also learn your current remotes with a simple point and shoot configuration. Regarding the speakerphone, even with the rear mounted speaker its definitely loud enough for me whilst driving, but im not sure how that compares to the HTC.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Erwaso- I would be interested to know how the backup battery works. In particular I need a solution that I can just charge and then leave/forget about in my briefcase. ie... I need something that will stay charged for several weeks as backup in an emergency.

Posted via the Android Central App

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the M8 and G3. You will not be disappointed with the switch. The camera is great and yields nice pics. The speaker doesn't compare to boomsound ,but plenty loud enough. As far as battery goes,each person has different results do to their use. I find it to be better than my M8. I am an average user,2 email accounts pushing ,lots of video watching. Average for me has been 12-16 hours with 4-5 hours screen time. Give it a try ,I don't think you will be disappointed.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
...I'm thinking of switching to the LG G3 from a HTC One. .....

Did just that, from the M7. More of a leap than a switch. First accessories were the Quick Circle wireless charging case and a Powermat wireless charging mat. Made my M7 feel like an antique. Like having the power switch (which I rarely use now) and the volume rockers on the back. But the Quick Circle makes the phone function fantastically.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Erwaso- I would be interested to know how the backup battery works. In particular I need a solution that I can just charge and then leave/forget about in my briefcase. ie... I need something that will stay charged for several weeks as backup in an emergency.

Posted via the Android Central App

Charge the spare battery, when the current battery runs out, swap it with the spare from your briefcase. Then charge the other when you have a chance.

Only downtime is when switching batteries but at least you don't have to wait for a charge like when using a mophie juice pack

Posted via Android Central App

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
THANK YOU to all of you. Just the info I was looking for. I plan on getting the phone here in the next couple of days. Thanks again for all the insight.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Lithium batteries have the best shelf life of any rechargeable battery technology used in consumer products. This thread may be of interest to you:

Li-Ion Self Discharge Rate Test

I've never formally tested battery life, but I've seen batteries that sat for several months still show 90-95% of full charge when placed in a phone. I would just stay away from the really cheap batteries you'll see on ebay and Amazon.

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I've has this phone for a little less than a week now and it's awesome. Thanks for the insight again. The only thing I do miss from my HTC M7 is the speakers, but the camera on my new LG more than makes up for it.

Decon1

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
So how about the battery? I am a medium user that never gets under 50% in 18 hours. I do use Nova Prime Launcher and have disabled most of the Bloatware by using Application Manager.

Decon

Last edited:

grumpygramps1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
The battery for me has been great. I wouldn't consider myself a power user, but I do stream music on my way to work and back home again. Frequently text and the like, and over obsessively check words with friends. It lasts all the way until its time to turn in for the night which is plenty for me.