New LG G3 User - Back Cover Queries about Qi

YamiPrem

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I just got this phone from a friend (an unwanted replacement) brand new.

I was looking at Qi chargers and ran into some stuff I don't fully understand. My back cover has four gold contact points (US layout i.e. space between a pair). Am I right in thinking two is for NFC and other two is for Qi chargers? Or do I still need to buy and attach a Qi charging sticker thing on the inside of the cover? (Presumably having to take current one off?)

And what are some good Qi chargers? Vu seems popular but is far too expensive! I don't need Qi charging, just looking into it as a novelty. :)

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
This thread has a lot of information in it: forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g3/411218-lg-g3-wireless-qi-charging-new-post.html

If you have the Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile one then you can either take the NFC sticker on the inside of your battery cover and replace it with an NFC/Qi sticker (Amazon on eBay have these for under $8), or you can buy a new cover with Qi on it off of eBay - which will also rid you of carrier logos and the rear will look better, especially if you have the Verizon one. If you have the AT&T then you need either their Quick Circle case to get wireless charging, or use PMA standard chargers.

I'd suggest getting this Qi charger, I've heard nothing but good things about it.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-tylt-vu-qi-wireless-charger.html#post4090087

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If the sticker in the back of your phone already has 4 contacts, then it already has wireless charging capability. The stock NFC-only stickers, as you have surmised, have only two contacts.

As stated above, if it's not the AT&T version, then it's Qi compatible. If it's the AT&T version, it's PMA compatible, and the two standards are not compatible with each other.

I'm using this charging puck. It's cheap and works well. Be sure to connect any Qi device to an AC charger with at least 1.5 amp output. 1.8 to 2.0 amp is even better.

Amazon.com: PowerBot® PB1020 Qi Enabled Wireless Charger Inductive Charging Pad Station for All Qi Standard Compatible Devices Including Samsung, iPhone, Nokia, Google, Nexus, LG, HTC and Other Smartphones with Receivers (AC Adapter Excluded. 2 x Mi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress