thinking of upgrading from iPhone5 to LG G3

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5 and am thinking of upgrading to the LG G3. I I need a larger screen to see properly when I use my contact lenses
My carrier is Cricket Wireless. They are a prepaid division of AT&T and use the same towers and equipment
I can not afford an iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

Since my phone is older it appears that everything will be an improvement.
Most of the apps that I use, free and paid, are available on android. For the apps that are not available, there are others that accomplish the same purposes.

What good/great/awesome things will I have to look forward to or adjust to?

I have never used an Android device so any help/tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A friend mentioned rooting. Is this like jailbreaking on the iphone? What will I gain by doing this?
I used to have my iphone jailbroken but after a bad upgrade, the restore wiped that out.
Thanks

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
First of all, before you ditch your iPhone, stop using iMessaging, send texts through SMS. Otherwise, texts you should be receiving will get lost because the Apple system will think you are still using iMessage and they will be undeliverable to your Android phone. The only experience I've had with an iPhone is the brief period that my wife had one and every time I tried to help her with it, I'd get so frustrated, I wanted to slam it on the floor and jump on it. The Android system is, to me, much more intuitive, and I can navigate the menus easily and the placement of settings makes sense. It seems that the iPhone menus are hit or miss and follows no logic why settings are where they are.
Forget about rooting (jailbreaking) until you are thoroughly familiar with your new phone.
Not sure if an app that you paid for in the Apple App Store will be available from Google's Play Store without charge.
I try to minimize the number of apps I add to the phone, only the ones that there is no equivalent built in to the operating system. I found, for example, that SwiftKey doesn't play as nicely with the G3 as it did on my previous phone, the HTC One. So I'm using the native keyboard and while it's word prediction isn't as good as SwiftKey, it's satisfactory.
I don't know what limitations you will run into using the LG G3 on Cricket. Seems like driving a Cadillac at a dirt track demolition derby.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
How can I stop using iMessage?
I read about the problem you mentioned but I don't remember how to turn it off

There are only three paid apps that I use and the others are all free. I checked the Google Play store and all the paid apps are there
They are 360 Panorama by Occipital, CamCard (business card scanner). I also use an app that displays my calendar for the week (iphone doesn't have this but android may have it)

Cricket is actually really good. They use the same towers and equipment as AT&T and I can use any phone that is compatible with the AT&T network, but it has to be unlocked to use on Cricket. How can I unlock the G3?

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to ask this before.
1) Can I sync my Outlook Calendar on PC with Phone Calendar?
2) I have my contacts in a vcf file. Can I import this into phone contacts?
3) Instead of uploading all my music from iTunes to google. Can I just copy it to the phone? (I am going to get a microsd card)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to ask this before.
1) Can I sync my Outlook Calendar on PC with Phone Calendar?
2) I have my contacts in a vcf file. Can I import this into phone contacts?
3) Instead of uploading all my music from iTunes to google. Can I just copy it to the phone? (I am going to get a microsd card)

1. 99% sure you can
2. Easier to upload that vcf file into a Gmail account from your desktop and then sync it into your new android phone.
3. Upload the music to Google play music on your desktop. It'll sync to your Oconee and not use any storage space

Posted via Android Central App

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5 and am thinking of upgrading to the LG G3. I I need a larger screen to see properly when I use my contact lenses
My carrier is Cricket Wireless. They are a prepaid division of AT&T and use the same towers and equipment
I can not afford an iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

Since my phone is older it appears that everything will be an improvement.
Most of the apps that I use, free and paid, are available on android. For the apps that are not available, there are others that accomplish the same purposes.

What good/great/awesome things will I have to look forward to or adjust to?

I have never used an Android device so any help/tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A friend mentioned rooting. Is this like jailbreaking on the iphone? What will I gain by doing this?
I used to have my iphone jailbroken but after a bad upgrade, the restore wiped that out.
Thanks

I have done the same thing, switched from an iPhone 5 to My first Android which is the LG G3, and I didn't regret it (besides the fact my txt msgs on carrier went up if you don't have unlimited messaging thanks to iMessage gone)

First off you'll be adjusting to the size/screen. It will take a couple of weeks on how to text or call one hand especially coming from an iPhone but you'll like it eventually. The display is really good, qhd really trumps iPhone 5.

Second, the os. While both operating systems has their own pros and cons that I won't dive in, it didn't confuse me to learn Android. You probably would just have to disable the bloatware from your carrier. There are TONS of features and customizations which I liked, I guess this is what people meant when they say you're free to do things other than the restrictions with iOS.

Lastly, the battery; it would prolly last you a full day but this is ymmv. Mine lasts for a day with the same usage I had from my iPhone 5, of course that varies since we use it differently especially with Apps.

I think you'll like it, well I did. Glad I made that switch. My biggest feature was the ability to stream any video stream on chrome browser on the G3 to chromecast on my tv.

Btw I'm not rooted so I can't help you with that part.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
New LG G3 is great! I was able to move my music and photos by simply copying the folder on my PC to the phone SD. Gotta love that!
I had a major problem figuring out how to sync my PC Outlook calendar. After numerous options did not work, I finally caved and spent $4 for an app called syncroid. It works great.

I am still figuring out the features and stuff. I absolutely love the selection of apps and the open features of android (like the phone appearing as a drive in windows)

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
New LG G3 is great! I was able to move my music and photos by simply copying the folder on my PC to the phone SD. Gotta love that!
I had a major problem figuring out how to sync my PC Outlook calendar. After numerous options did not work, I finally caved and spent $4 for an app called syncroid. It works great.

I am still figuring out the features and stuff. I absolutely love the selection of apps and the open features of android (like the phone appearing as a drive in windows)

It always surprises me(in a good way!) that former ios users are amazed at how versatile Android is when they first come over to the dark side! :) Welcome! The Lg g3 is truly an amazing phone/media device!

Posted via the Android Central App