Rugged case that works with qi

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of a good case to use that won't interfere with qi charging? I have a tpu case now but would like something that offers a little more protection.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Damn, I guess I'm that only one that wants more protective case than tpu with wireless charging!

Posted via the Android Central App

trekgraham

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Bump, I'm interested in finding a rugged case that supports qi wireless charging and nfc. I want find something that has a good grip and protects.

Sent from my LG G3 on T-Mobile

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I liked the Spigen Slim Armour, but it did make wireless charging slow on Nokia charger, and not work at all on LG charger.

Ended up going naked with tempered glass for the screen, as I love the thin edges as they are.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The maximum range of the current Qi chargers is only about 7 - 10 mm (and 10 is stretching it). And that includes the thickness of the original phone back, the thickness of the plastic case on the charger, and any air gap between the coils in the phone and charger.

In other words, if the coil is inside the phone, you're not likely to get wireless charging to work through a thick case. There are Qi coils that are designed to stick to the inside of a case, and connect to the phone through the micro-USB port. Those might work, but then you pretty much have to remove the case and connector if you want to connect the phone to a computer.

There is an updated Qi standard now that allows for more power, and therefor greater distance between the two coils. I don't know how soon we'll see devices that meet that standard, though.

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888