My G3 Screen is Smashed

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My phone fell from a table onto a hard floor at Starbucks close to 3' high. I went to a local mall where I know they have kiosks that do screen repair. Unfortunately, they only repair iPhone's. Before I ship my G3 to LG for repair, does anyone know of a place that can install a new screen?

I appreciate it.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The G3 screen - glass and digitizer is inexpensive and easy to replace and you can probably do it yourself! Go to youtube for instructions and Ebay for the purchase. Or go to a local repair shop. It should cost around $25 over the cost of the digitizer from Ebay. If not, negotiate.

BTW, if you smash a Samsung screen you are basically SOOL if you don't have insurance.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I smashed mine a few weeks after I got it. . Went online bought a digitizer and glass. .

Had the whole thing replaced and back together in about 35 minutes.

It is VERY easy to repair

Posted via the Android Central App

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I smashed mine a few weeks after I got it. . Went online bought a digitizer and glass. .

Had the whole thing replaced and back together in about 35 minutes.

It is VERY easy to repair

Nice. Where did you get the parts?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
So is the LCD damaged or just the digitizer glass part? That is like $20.00USD at any website.

LCD screen itself is more expensive.

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So can you actually get an OEM digitizer for $25-35? I just had my phone screen crack and now 75% of the screen is unresponsive. It's supposedly just the glass and digitizer that I need, but I'm about to send my phone back to LG and possibly drop $150 for a repair and retain my warranty. If I can save $100 I might just be ok with losing the warranty... Phone is 13 days old.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
So is the LCD damaged or just the digitizer glass part? That is like $20.00USD at any website.

I'm pretty sure the glass, LCD and digitizer are all glued together. So while it's technically possible to replace just one part, separating the pieces without damaging them is likely to be very difficult without the proper knowledge and tools.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ouch. Sorry to hear. I finally got my tempered glass screen shipped to me. I barely notice it's there and hopefully it keeps my screen from breaking like others say. Cheaper and less time consuming than then buying a new screen and installing.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

The screen is definitely broken. If you rub your thumb across the screen, you can feel the elevated sharp glass. I just wish I could find a place in Connecticut to do the repair.

Posted via S4 TechNology

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the glass, LCD and digitizer are all glued together. So while it's technically possible to replace just one part, separating the pieces without damaging them is likely to be very difficult without the proper knowledge and tools.

Yes, you're right. They are glued together and you have to heat it up to separate, then apply glue to get them back together. Simple replacement, but not exactly easy if you don't like working with heat.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I got mine from fixit.com. The glass and the digitizer are glued together, i replaced both as i figured that i would break the digitizer when i tried to take the glass off.

After doing it, I would not try it unless you have the tools. I don't know that youcould get the two pieces apart without breaking the other.

It wasn't a ton cheaper than sending it away, but i wasnt without a phone for weeks or pay a ton for overnight shipping.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I got mine from fixit.com. The glass and the digitizer are glued together, i replaced both as i figured that i would break the digitizer when i tried to take the glass off.

After doing it, I would not try it unless you have the tools. I don't know that youcould get the two pieces apart without breaking the other.

It wasn't a ton cheaper than sending it away, but i wasnt without a phone for weeks or pay a ton for overnight shipping.

My brother had a huge dead spot on his screen and sent his to LG. He called them and they gave him an RMA# for him to send with his device. They returned it back to him in exactly 6 business days! Thats not bad!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
With Android L so close, I'm looking for a speedy repair. My dad is an electrical engineer and me an (aerospace) mechanical engineer so I'm hoping, should I order the parts, that our two heads can make this a successful repair. And if not, I'll blame my dad since he's the electrical engineer.

2 places to scope out my local Verizon store rep said would do the replacement. I'll call them tomorrow. My S4 went through an update and works better, but it ain't a G3.

Posted via S4 TechNology

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34