[APP] Key Plus - Change LG G3 Volume key shortcuts to any app (without root)

Apptuners

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I developed this app that will let you change the volume button apps (when phone is locked). Instead of Quick Memo+, you can do the following:

• Toggle flashlight with built-in option, without touching the screen
  • Launch any app
  • Execute even Launcher shortcuts such as Direct Dial, Direct Navigation and much more.
  • Should work on all variants of G3, even the "mini" G3 variants such as G3 Beat, Stylus, S etc.. although not tested
  • No ads. Completely free.
You can change both Volume Up and Down shortcuts on KitKat. From Lollipop, LG hardcoded Volume Down shortcut to their Camera app. But Volume Up still works.

Please give it a try and let me know your feedback.

Download
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.apptuners.keyplusapp&token=dKOOP2BT

Attachments

• Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Up.jpg
    Up.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Shortcut.jpg
    Shortcut.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 155

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey - great idea and it works without rooting. Put the flashlight app on the up shortcut and it's working perfectly! I don't see Google voice search as an option - only Google Now. That's OK but makes for one extra step if I have to hold the shortcut and then tap the microphone icon or say "OK Google."
Any chance of adding voice search to the options?

Thanks!

Apptuners

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Which Homescreen Launcher do you use? Some third party launchers let you creat Homescreen shortcut to launch Voice Search (Nova Launcher has this). If that is the case, you should be able to use it with Key Plus.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I did what you said and found it by selecting Nova activities, then google search, and scrolling down to find the right action. It seems to be working well. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1419129364862.jpg
    1419129364862.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 98

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I developed this app that will let you change the volume button apps (when phone is locked). Instead of Quick Memo+, you can do the following:

• Toggle flashlight with built-in option, without touching the screen
  • Launch any app
  • Execute even Launcher shortcuts such as Direct Dial, Direct Navigation and much more.
  • Should work on all variants of G3, even the "mini" G3 variants such as G3 Beat, Stylus, S etc.. although not tested
  • No ads. Completely free.
You can change both Volume Up and Down shortcuts on KitKat. From Lollipop, LG hardcoded Volume Down shortcut to their Camera app. But Volume Up still works.

Please give it a try and let me know your feedback.

Download
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.apptuners.keyplusapp&token=rEM2MpWU

I liked the idea but it seems like after I press volume up the phone needs to get unlocked first. I did follow the tutorial to select it by default. Im using Flashlight by Joe app from the Play Store for the volume up. Can this get fixed?

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Awesome app! Worms perfectly and is flawless. I used to have my g3 rooted and had a app like this but now that I have it non rooted I've been looking for something like this! Good job man! 👍 @apptuners

Posted via Android Central App

Apptuners

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I liked the idea but it seems like after I press volume up the phone needs to get unlocked first. I did follow the tutorial to select it by default. Im using Flashlight by Joe app from the Play Store for the volume up. Can this get fixed?

Unfortunately that is a security limitation of Android. While it is possible for an app to disable unlock (as long as the user is not using a password to unlock), it can only display a screen of it's own. The moment the app tries to launch another app, the lockscreen will come back. I don't think it is possible to beat this situation without root.

Now if you just want to use the flashlight, why not use the built-in flashlight of Key Plus? You can find it at the very top of the list of apps (titled Toggle Flashlight). The benefit of using it is that it will work without turning the screen on. And when you press the volume key again, it will turn off as well. I don't think any flashlight app in Play Store will be able to do that.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I did what you said and found it by selecting Nova activities, then google search, and scrolling down to find the right action. It seems to be working well. Thanks again!

You are welcome. Since I have been getting requests from more and more users for Ok Google search (and many of them using LG Home or Google Launcher), I decided to add Ok Google search to the app itself. You just need to select the shortcut seen in the screenshot below. It will take a while for the update (v1.01) to appear on Play Store though.

wDH5aFc.png

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately that is a security limitation of Android. While it is possible for an app to disable unlock (as long as the user is not using a password to unlock), it can only display a screen of it's own. The moment the app tries to launch another app, the lockscreen will come back. I don't think it is possible to beat this situation without root.

Now if you just want to use the flashlight, why not use the built-in flashlight of Key Plus? You can find it at the very top of the list of apps (titled Toggle Flashlight). The benefit of using it is that it will work without turning the screen on. And when you press the volume key again, it will turn off as well. I don't think any flashlight app in Play Store will be able to do that.

OMG you just made my day, thank you so much!!! That worked without unlocking the screen at all, a huge THANK YOU and props to your app!!

Tcbemis

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok... I installed it and it doesn't work for the torch. As in, nothing except turns up my volume when I press the up key. Down is perfect, I love that it defaults to A Better Camera (the Quick circle app won't do that), so it's only half worth it for me.
But this is my real question... I can't uninstall? I can't do it from my home screen by dragging up, not through my apps in settings. The option is there, but faded out and can't be pressed.

Can you help please?

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok... I installed it and it doesn't work for the torch. As in, nothing except turns up my volume when I press the up key. Down is perfect, I love that it defaults to A Better Camera (the Quick circle app won't do that), so it's only half worth it for me.
But this is my real question... I can't uninstall? I can't do it from my home screen by dragging up, not through my apps in settings. The option is there, but faded out and can't be pressed.

Can you help please?

Sorry if this is too obvious, but is the screen off when you try to do this? This app only works as a shortcut when the screen is off. If the screen is turned on, the buttons only act as volume controls.

Apptuners

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is too obvious, but is the screen off when you try to do this? This app only works as a shortcut when the screen is off. If the screen is turned on, the buttons only act as volume controls.

That is correct

Can you help please?

Don't worry. Uninstallation is easy. But before that I would like to know some details to find out why it isn't working for you.

Is QuickMemo working for you correctly? I mean when you press the Volume Up button, is QuickMemo launching?

As for uninstallation, you first need to revoke the admin permissions. You can do with that by running the app and clicking Uninstall option in it. After that, you can uninstall it like any normal app.

But before that I would like to try my best to get it working for you.

Tcbemis

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So I did figure out how to uninstall (duh... Follow the directions 😯), I'm planning on reinstalling today and giving it another go. Now that I played with both cameras a bit this morning, I've realized that it was actually the native camera, not A Better Camera that was working with the down button.

Could it have something to do with the fact that I have the quick circle case and use that app with it?
Thanks!

Ricky Love

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I have set this app to default, when locked i press volume up the led lights up but only for a second before turning off. If I press the volume down quick memo works ok.

Why not working for me? Quick circle is turned off and im standard not rooted

Tcbemis

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm sorry to say, but after spending a lot and having this case shipped from France, I kind of have to stick with the case.

Apptuners

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm sorry to say, but after spending a lot and having this case shipped from France, I kind of have to stick with the case.

I completely understand. I hope one day LG will remove this restriction.

I have set this app to default, when locked i press volume up the led lights up but only for a second before turning off. If I press the volume down quick memo works ok.

Why not working for me? Quick circle is turned off and im standard not rooted

Few users have indeed reported this issue. I have been trying to figure out why this is happening but my own G3 doesn't have this issue, which makes it tough to debug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2