Can I tether my G3 using AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan?

practical guy

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps you'd be willing to answer a basic question about tethering on AT&T? I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from the days of being a legacy Cingular customer. I was able to use a 3rd party tethering app without rooting on my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket until the phone died in June 2014. I believe the OS was Android ICS. My replacement (until end of 2 yr contract term) was an AT&T Go Phone ZTE 740 (Radiant). 3rd party tethering app wouldn't work; nor would other "post-root" tethering apps after rooting. The phone's OS is JB. Just purchased LG G3 for a new 2 year contract term. It runs Kitkat; and is upgradeable to lollipop. Am I ever going to be able to tether and use my unlimited data without paying the additional tethering fee to AT&T? I read on another site that ICS was the last Android OS that permitted tethering with no additional charges. True? If so, is there a way to wipe JB off of my ZTE 740 Radiant; or wiping Kitkat off of my LG G3 in order to install ICS? BTW, this isn't a deal-breaker; I've tethered sparingly in past only when I needed alternate internet access (when traveling). I'm not looking to abuse the unlimited data (even if it now gets throttled after a certain point). Would appreciate any insight/advice you can offer. THANKS!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Tethering isn't controlled in the phone - any tethering app works on that end. (It just does the routing and DHCP part of a router.) It's at the carrier's end that more and more carriers are killing tethered packets unless you have a tethering account, and you can't do anything about that at the phone end.

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
AFAIK as soon as they found out you're tethering on a non-tethering plan, in your case an unlimited data plan, they will take that off and move you to a 5GB tethering/data 5GB plan for $50.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can I tether my G3 using AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan?

You can root and install a custom ROM where you can simply enable tethering in the settings.

That said, it's probably a good idea not to admit your intent to violate your EULA in a public forum. Just sayin'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Use a VPN to encapsulate all your data on the tethering device.
If it's encrypted, they can't know if you are tethering or not.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Use a VPN to encapsulate all your data on the tethering device.
If it's encrypted, they can't know if you are tethering or not.

Wouldn't this method kill performance speeds?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I don't know how AT&T works, but on Verizon I pay the extra $30 per month for tethering un my unlimited plan. Of course, I use it daily, so it's well worth the money for me and I feel like I should pay since I'm a huge data abuser.

However, if you root and install a ROM, that's usually the main reason people want a ROM installed is for tethering. The second reason is for performance upgrades and removal of bloatware.

Good luck. It sound like you'll need to go with the root/ROM methode to me. I don't think Foxfi works with any network any more. If you can find it, try Foxfi. It used to work without tethering, but it's been years since I used it.

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how AT&T works, but on Verizon I pay the extra $30 per month for tethering un my unlimited plan. Of course, I use it daily, so it's well worth the money for me and I feel like I should pay since I'm a huge data abuser.

However, if you root and install a ROM, that's usually the main reason people want a ROM installed is for tethering. The second reason is for performance upgrades and removal of bloatware.

Good luck. It sound like you'll need to go with the root/ROM methode to me. I don't think Foxfi works with any network any more. If you can find it, try Foxfi. It used to work without tethering, but it's been years since I used it.

We would have to give up our unlimited data plan if we need to tether on At&t. This means moving from unlimited data to at least a tiered data 5GB data plan that would cost $20 more.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
FWIW I agree with scottysize. Root and flashing a new ROM is the surefire way to get what you're after. The process was really easy on my end, and while I don't tether much anymore it's nice to know the option is there when/if I need it. Good luck!

Sent via my Bloat-Free ATT G3 running SlimLP ROM

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney