This just blows my mind- comparison

lynne22

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
It's possible I am easily amused, LOL, but this just amazes me. :eek: Got the new case for the G3- wish I had the phone!!- but with the bottom of the screen lined up with my current LG- which is a 4.7 screen-where the bottom of the screen should be on the G3, it's stunning the difference is screen VS the overall size of the phone. It's not that much bigger than my current LG, but for the difference in screen size......come on Jan. 8th!!

I have seen it in person, and put the two side by side, but when I got this today, it became all the more real. LOL...

lgg3comp.jpg

jimgravy

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Be patient my friend! My LG G3
is everything I could hope for in a device, Samsung can't hold a candle to it... (I owned 3). Wait until you see videos in UHD, it will blow you away!

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That was one of the features that so impressed us when the device was new, and still does....5.5" QuadHD display packed into a relatively small, narrow-bezel body. :)

psychotron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100%. One of the things that impressed me above all others was the economy of design in wasting very little space while maximizing display real estate. Remarkable. The wait will 'be worth it. Got my case late last week and finally went in to pick up my G3 yesterday so I know how you feel.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
In fairness, the old phone doesn't take up any screen for the navigation buttons. With Nav buttons displayed on the G3, you'll need to move that case on the left down a bit to get a fair comparison.

Pedalbflat

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
In fairness, the old phone doesn't take up any screen for the navigation buttons. With Nav buttons displayed on the G3, you'll need to move that case on the left down a bit to get a fair comparison.

Yeah, but also in fairness, those physical navigation buttons don't disappear to show more screen real estate, unlike the G3.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I keep seeing people comment about software buttons being worse than physical buttons because they take up part of the screen, effectively making the 5.5" screen smaller.

This is just not true because physical buttons, like Pedalbflat points out, cannot be hidden. There is also the idea of bezel space, which is eaten up by physical buttons 100%. Whereas software buttons don't always have to be there, especially when watching any fullscreen video, playing games are using apps that don't require buttons. Software buttons are truly they best option in almost any circumstance, when it comes to space and screen size.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
To be clear, I never said on-screen buttons were worse (or better) than physical buttons. They're different, and one can point to advantages for both.

And yes, while you can hide the nav bar, that means you constantly need to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unhide it before you can use it. More tradeoffs.

And yes, the physical buttons means bezel space. But the OP's comparison was about screen size, not overall phone size,

I have a G3, and like it very much. But to be honest, any size comparison needs to take into account all these factors, which the OP's didn't.

Finally, it's a phone, not your lover. Don't get so defensive.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
To be clear, I never said on-screen buttons were worse (or better) than physical buttons. They're different, and one can point to advantages for both.

And yes, while you can hide the nav bar, that means you constantly need to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unhide it before you can use it. More tradeoffs.

And yes, the physical buttons means bezel space. But the OP's comparison was about screen size, not overall phone size,

Not calling you out specifically, but it is a common occurrence I see in other forums.

And, yes. OP was comparing screen and overall phone size in my opinion. Since physical buttons have nothing to do with either, I think it was pretty fairly compared.

Finally, it's a phone, not your lover. Don't get so defensive.

Going by the wording of the OP, it's too late! They're star-crossed. lol

lynne22

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Meyerweb; I was comparing the overall screen size to the size of my current phone. No need to try and drill it down to technicalities, or over complicate it. It was a simple observation, nothing more.

The navigation -I will call them icons, because they are not buttons really- on the G3, don't bother me in the least. You can look past them, and hide them, so not like the capacitive ones I have now. They take up a lot of room on the current phone, needlessly.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Once the rest of the house is awake I'll try to remember to do a side-by-side of the S4 (my previous device) and the G3 (my current). There are some things I miss about the S4 (Screen - I like the saturated look over the the panel LG used, and some days I miss the smaller size, especially how thin it is compared to the G3). Overall I do prefer the G3 though!!

I hadn't touched my S4 until recently (using the G3 straight for 3 months). I don't recall the step UP in size being that shocking, but after using the G3 so long the S4 felt downright TINY compared to it. The step DOWN in size was a surprise.

Anyway, yeah I'll see if I can get some pics of my S4/G3 side by side later. Considering the screen is .5 inches bigger, the phone overall isn't really a big step up - the most noticeable size difference is in the thickness

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I came from an optimus g also. Overall the G3 is not that much bigger but dang the screen is huge! Lol

I found the part if options to hide the soft buttons for specific apps and now I dont ever need to hold the phone close to my face when playing games or movies.

psychotron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Once the rest of the house is awake I'll try to remember to do a side-by-side of the S4 (my previous device) and the G3 (my current). There are some things I miss about the S4 (Screen - I like the saturated look over the the panel LG used, and some days I miss the smaller size, especially how thin it is compared to the G3). Overall I do prefer the G3 though!!

I hadn't touched my S4 until recently (using the G3 straight for 3 months). I don't recall the step UP in size being that shocking, but after using the G3 so long the S4 felt downright TINY compared to it. The step DOWN in size was a surprise.

Anyway, yeah I'll see if I can get some pics of my S4/G3 side by side later. Considering the screen is .5 inches bigger, the phone overall isn't really a big step up - the most noticeable size difference is in the thickness

I find this interesting since I handled a number of devices over the holidays when my family was all together so I could compare them in preparation to replace my failing handset. They had a variety of them, most notably the S4, S5, Note 4 and one G3. I personally don't recall noticing that much difference in thickness between the S4 and G3, and indeed when I looked it up there really isn't. There's only .04" actual difference between the two, but I suppose shape, hand feel and weight might give one that perception even though the reality doesn't really bear it out.

g3s4.JPG

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't recall noticing that much difference in thickness between the S4 and G3, and indeed when I looked it up there really isn't. There's only .04" actual difference between the two, but I suppose shape, hand feel and weight might give one that perception even though the reality doesn't really bear it out.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. They're actually so similar in size. I've held them together, and there isn't that much of a difference. Yet after handling and using the G3 exclusively the S4 just feels tiny. I think the biggest things that make it feel "big" is the curved back and a more "dense" feel in the hand - indeed the G3 is about 7oz heavier then the S4, and on a similar note the S4 feels "hollow" for lack of a better term, almost like there's no batter under the back cover, whereas the G3 feels much more "full" without the hollow feel. For me the size between the 2 feels about the same as going from an S4 down to an iPhone 4 or 4s. The size specs are not that different - but how it feels in the hand certainly does!

lynne22

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
4 more days.....LOL...

I did go to the VZ store to see them again, mostly because I wanted to compare what their signal strength was compared to my current phone, all the same. Which is not a really good thing. I was hoping for a bit stronger signal with the G3, some people said it was better, some say worse. I never have 3 bars on 4G or the cell, but in their store I did. But, at work, I fluctuate between 3G/4G, and sometimes the useless 1X. Guess I'll know soon enough.....

Last edited:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Super huge phone! All those as about bigger that Apple has out.. Don't they realise that a big phone is a bad thing? lol

lynne22

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, it ships today! I will have it Wednesday, and Fedex usually comes well before noon. I am so anxious, but mostly about getting it, and not setting it up, until after I see if I can squash the lollipop update. I don't want it. Outside of the cosmetics of it, it's the change of the keyboard and the gallery/photos thing I don't like the most. After reading, and reading for the last 10 days, I can tolerate some lag, if that's true, staying with Kit Kat. Otherwise I don't want to put anything on it until they force me to update it. There are apps that I use daily now, that I really do need to use, but I don't think most of them have been updated for Lollipop. So that could cause issues too.....what to do.....I hate being told I have to do something, LOL, and I am not comfortable with trying to root it. Ugghh....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol