Can dropping your phone damage GPS/compass?

Michael Novello

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
How hard would you have to drop your phone to damage the GPS/compass? I dropped mine on the pavement hard enough to scrape up/crunch the corner pretty good, and I'm not sure if this is why my compass is always about 10 degrees off and the GPS often jumps around (saying I'm on the opposite side of the street, or 20+ yards or so from where I actually am).

Since the back battery cover got pretty scraped up, I replaced it with a new one, but it doesn't have the gold contact leads the original cover had.

Michael Novello

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
How hard would you have to drop it? Sounds like a cheap phone if the internal components can break so easily from being jarred. The thing is, I don't know what amount of GPS "jumping" is normal, or if replacing the back cover with one that doesn't have the gold contacts could have anything to do with it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If I were to drop my phone onto a paved surface hard enough that the corner got damaged, I think I'd be surprised if it did NOT do internal damage as well. If your location inaccuracy started after the drop, it looks like there is indeed such damage. If you're unsure of the contacts, it might be worth seeking advice from LG customer support.

Posted via the Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Here we go again.....
Some things are not meant to be dropped, like your average smartphone.
They do make "rugged" smartphones that are designed to withstand the rigors of an active lifestyle or clumsy owners.
Google "rugged smartphone", there are plenty to choose from.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
All components are pretty much the same in every smartphone. They're extremely fragile and never made to withstand drops.

It then is up to the phone manufacturer to design something that looks and feels nice to the end user.

After you buy the device, it's your option to protect it with either extra armor and padding (cases) or a very steady and careful hand.

This is the optimal setup for manufacturers because they provide people with a choice to make it as fool proof as they wish, without sacrificing too much design and sleek feel.

The back cover links the phone's NFC antenna to the component in the phone itself. I am not sure what other components take advantage of this antenna.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude