What is normal accuracy for GPS/compass on G3 phone?

Michael Novello

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Mine jumps around a bit, sometimes up to 20 yards or more off from where I actually am. The compass is always 10 to 20 degrees off even after calibrating (which could have something to do with magnetic north not being factored in?)

I'm just wondering what other people's experience is with the G3 GPS and compass.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I use GPS Test Pro (here's a link to the free version http://goo.gl/lgSPVw) and according to that, its normally within 3 meters/10 feet, and that's with 20+ satellites in view, and using 12-15 for actual location fix. I haven't compared the compass to a true compass, but I have mine set for "True North" not magnetic north. You're right that there is a difference between the 2, and a quick Google search shows the difference is about 15-20 degrees as you said.

As a quick comparison, my previous phones (Galaxy S4, and a Galaxy Nexus before that) showed about the same accuracy, but took slightly longer to obtain a stable location fix.

Edit: I found this article, and it appears that with current smartphones, a 10 foot fix is about as good as it gets for now. Quoting the article "It only takes 5 to 10 seconds of open sky to get a 10-foot fix on the ground, and it doesn’t need Wi-Fi hotspots or cell towers to assist any longer." and here's the link to check it out Mobile Phone GPS Accuracy? - Tri-State Engineering

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
My GPS is totally out of whack. I can leave here, travel to a city 250 miles away and it still shows I'm in my hometown. One time when I was traveling back home it stuck on a town about 70 miles from home and stayed there until I had to shut the phone down and power it back up. I didn't stop for gas there or to eat I just drove straight through. And this was one of those two stoplight towns but somehow it locked on to it.