Help with playing music off of micro SD card

ahmo1965

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I switched to and Android from an iPhone 5s. I love the freedom of a Droid over the constricting OS of Apple. First I had a Google phone, but switched to the LG G3. The reason is to accommodate to 40 gigs of music, and put it on the LGs external micro SD card. For the life of me I cannot get the music to play off of the 32 gig internal memory or the 64 gig external micro SD card. I get error messages when the songs wont play at all, or the songs skip like fast forwarding. I'm using a ScanDisk 64 gig micro SD card. The only way I can get the music to play is to burn up AT&T data while streaming in Google Play app. Do I need a different brand? Do I need to mount it in a certain order? Please help. Has anyone else had this problem?

I CAN get music to play off of the 32gig internal memory, but not the SD card.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which music app are you using? The stock one or Google Play Music? Try some other ones, like PowerAmp, Mortplayer Music, or Player Pro.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I switched to and Android from an iPhone 5s. I love the freedom of a Droid over the constricting OS of Apple. First I had a Google phone, but switched to the LG G3. The reason is to accommodate to 40 gigs of music, and put it on the LGs external micro SD card. For the life of me I cannot get the music to play off of the 32 gig internal memory or the 64 gig external micro SD card. I get error messages when the songs wont play at all, or the songs skip like fast forwarding. I'm using a ScanDisk 64 gig micro SD card. The only way I can get the music to play is to burn up AT&T data while streaming in Google Play app. Do I need a different brand? Do I need to mount it in a certain order? Please help. Has anyone else had this problem?

Very curious. I use Rhapsody on my G3 and have a Sandisk 64gig card installed. All downloaded songs go to a folder on my SD card and play perfectly so it definitely can be done. How did you get the songs onto the SD card? What folder did you put them in? I would attempt to use another player downloaded from the play store as well and see if that helps.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Use power amp go to settings and make sure it's set to find music on sd card and check all files you have music in. Then click on check for all music and then should find all music and you will be ready to go.

Posted via Android Central App

ahmo1965

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which music app are you using? The stock one or Google Play Music? Try some other ones, like PowerAmp, Mortplayer Music, or Player Pro.

I've tried using Google Play and the LG stock music app. I've tried using LG PC Suite to transfer files. I've used Windows Explorer to copy and paste the music files to the micro SD card which is inserted in the phone. I called LG tech support, they told me to us VLC media player. If theres something you guys think is better, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

ahmo1965

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Use power amp go to settings and make sure it's set to find music on sd card and check all files you have music in. Then click on check for all music and then should find all music and you will be ready to go.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks Doggy, I'm going to try PowerAmp.

ahmo1965

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Very curious. I use Rhapsody on my G3 and have a Sandisk 64gig card installed. All downloaded songs go to a folder on my SD card and play perfectly so it definitely can be done. How did you get the songs onto the SD card? What folder did you put them in? I would attempt to use another player downloaded from the play store as well and see if that helps.

Thanks GTCharlie. Can you please give me a step by step on how to load the songs on the SD card? I have an SD card to USB converter. Should I use that rather than keeping the SD card inside my phone? I have some of the music saved as .mp3 files and some as Windows Media Audio files. Does that make a difference?

Thank you guys. I'm still learning Android.

ahmo1965

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I found the solution. Maybe I can help someone else. I chatted on line with Sandisk. I gave them the numbers on both sides and emailed pictires of the front and back. Turns out my Sandisk micro SD is a counterfeit. A fake. 64 gigs no wonder it only cost $30.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Glad to hear you got the problem resolved. And by the way that is the same price I paid for my sandisk card are well. And it is definitely authentic. Check amazon and see what you can find.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
... that is the same price I paid for my sandisk card are well. And it is definitely authentic. Check amazon and see what you can find.
I've gotten 2 from Amazon at this price & both have worked great. ahmo1965 - I'd check up on the seller of that counterfeit one.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Neutron Music player will play any music. I've also been using the stock app w a 64gb Samsung SD card working well.
Sorry I am not anymore help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Big Khan

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Posted via the Android CI have Poweramp, on my Samsung Galaxy S5, with lollipop 5.01 OS. Poweramp, will play my Google Play Music that's on my 64gb SD Card but it will not show Artist Name, Track Title or Album Art. Do you know how to correct this and if not can you point me to someone who can. I'm a Newbie to Android Central.entral App

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat, then I started to toy around with Spotify.... Wow.... No problem only need WiFi or a network...unless I want to upgrade...sounds good in my car too

In the Net

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if you've worked this out or not but all you have to do is go into the Rhapsody app, pull down the settings (upper right), select Advanced Settings then select Choose music download location. Then set the SD choice. It shows you the directory path but on my phone (LG G3) it's incomplete. On mine, it is: /storage/external_SD/Android/data/com.rhapsody/files/rhapsody/files/ . It works fine on mine.
Good luck!

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if you've worked this out or not but all you have to do is go into the Rhapsody app, pull down the settings (upper right), select Advanced Settings then select Choose music download location. Then set the SD choice. It shows you the directory path but on my phone (LG G3) it's incomplete. On mine, it is: /storage/external_SD/Android/data/com.rhapsody/files/rhapsody/files/ . It works fine on mine.
Good luck!

Does the Rhapsody app ever freeze when moving on to the next song for you? Lately it is happening more and more often to me. Start listening to an album and after the first song or two it can't seem to move on to the next song. If I go into the app and tap on the song it will play just fine. Annoying to have to take the phone out of my pocket, unlock it and then start the next song.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2