How do I set up my Static IP?

drhex

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Setting up static IP

I'm trying to setup my Lollipop G3 to use a static ip address on my home network in order to more easily be able to run e.g. an ftp server on it.

My router is a Netgear CG3700. First, I tried its "address reservation" feature, where one can associate a MAC-adress(the phone's) to an ip address on the local network. It was easy to setup, but when the G3 is asking for an ip address, it still gets the first free one in the DHCP range rather than the one I just configured. :-!

I also tried from the phone, by long-pressing the wifi connection and choosing "modify network".
In the window that appears, one can switch from DHCP to static and specify the desired ip address. However, as long as "ip settings" is set to Static, the Save-button is disabled. Someone suggested that entering the wifi password here might help, but Save is still disabled.

What else can I try?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Static IP

Leave the router set for DHCP, or all the devices connected to it ill have to bet up for a static IP.

There should be a Setup item. In there, there should be a LAN item. In there, there should be a "Use router as DHCP server" checkbox. In that area, there should be a starting and ending address. Set the starting address to 192.168.1.100. Apply. (All the computers connected to the router will lose connection for a few seconds, so don't do this while someone is downloading a file or something.)

Now press the active wifi connection on your phone. Forget. Connect to it, but check Show advanced options. Scroll down and you'll see DHCP. Change that to Static.

Put in 192.168.1.<any number between 2 and 99> for the IP address. Put in 255.255.255.0 for the mask (it should be there by default). Put in 192.168.1.1 for both the DNS address and the Gateway address.

Your phone is not at 192.168.1.<whatever number you put here>. Any device using DHCP will get an address with that last number from 100 to 254, in order. (IOW, the first device connecting gets 100, the next one gets 101, etc.) The address has nothing to do with speed or anything else, it's just a way for the router to know which device asked for what.

If you want to access that server from somewhere outside (another internet connection), go to Advanced Setup (in the router), then to Port Forwarding/Port Triggering. Port Forwarding should be selected by default, and FTP should be selected by default. Put the number you gave the phone (192.168.1.<this number>) into the empty box and click Add. Now you can connect to your external IP address (What's My IP Address? - Obsolete Browser Page) with an FTP client and access the FTP server on the phone at home. (If the type of server you want to use isn't in the dropdown, you'll need to know the port it uses and click Add Custom Service.

(This is all from a Netgear N300, but manufacturers tend to use the same or very similar interfaces on all their routers for years. If something is just a little different in yours, it should be close enough for you to figure it out.)

If you need more help with port forwarding, go to the PortForward Forum. They have tutorials, including screen shots, for hundreds of routers, and the ports of hundreds of services, games, etc. They can also answer any questions you have about port forwarding, including using a service like No-IP, so that you don't have to remember your external IP address - you get a name, like any real website (for no charge).

drhex

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for replying, Rukbat, but the problem was that the phone won't let me save the changes when I've specified "Static" ip address.

jshadow

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

This has nothing to do with your phone. You have to go into your router settings and, after seeing what IP address it assigned to your phone, specify that you want the router to use the address that it gave to your phone as a static IP address instead of dynamic. Look under lease type.

drhex

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I suspect it is a lollipop issue. Setting up static ip from my asus transformer running android 4.2 was no problem (i.e. "save" is available.

Can someone running android 5 please check whether static ip can be enabled on their device?

jshadow

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Guys, it has nothing to do with your phone or lollipop. Your router gives the phone an IP address through DHCP when you log onto your WiFi network. The address is a dynamic IP address which means it changes after a certain period of time. You can configure that time in your router settings. You must go into the router and change the settings to change the address the router assigned into a static IP address instead of a dynamic IP address. There are no setting changes you can make on your phone to change your network address to a static IP address.

drhex

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
jshadow, perhaps I should clarify one thing: I am not talking about a static ip address on Internet, but rather a static ip address on the LAN (192.168.0.x).
That ought to be possible to setup on the phone (it could be configured on the laptop and surfing pad with no problems).

On a decent router, it should of course also be possible to configure DHCP to always hand out the same adress to a particular device.
The "address reservation" feature on Netgear CG3700 appeared to be able to do that, but it didn't work the first time I tried. Now I deleted the entry and setup a wifi mac adress - ip address association again, and turned off + on wifi on the phone and it seem the phone got the right ip address this time!

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
drhex is correct. (sorry I didn't get to this sooner)

You have to reserve the MAC address (can easily be found under device information) of your phone at the router and tell it to use a specific ip address. Most consumer-grade routers have this feature.

jshadow

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
jshadow, perhaps I should clarify one thing: I am not talking about a static ip address on Internet, but rather a static ip address on the LAN (192.168.0.x).
That ought to be possible to setup on the phone (it could be configured on the laptop and surfing pad with no problems).

On a decent router, it should of course also be possible to configure DHCP to always hand out the same adress to a particular device.
The "address reservation" feature on Netgear CG3700 appeared to be able to do that, but it didn't work the first time I tried. Now I deleted the entry and setup a wifi mac adress - ip address association again, and turned off + on wifi on the phone and it seem the phone got the right ip address this time!
Drhex
Yes, I understand what you want to do. You want to have your phone keep the same IP address when you are on your internal network so you can log on with ftp software from a windows PC or do something like that. The 192.168.0.x address is given out and controlled by the DHCP software on your router. You have to tell the software on the router not to change the address it gave to your phone. Only the DHCP software on the router can do that.

gingham99

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Responding to an old thread, but I found it searching for a solution to this same problem. The Save button was not active on my LG G3 running Android 5.0.1. I got it to work by entering the IP address, the password, then unclicking Show advanced options. The Save button was then activated and the static IP could be stored. It stays even after I boot the router.

Oyabun

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
Responding to an old thread, but I found it searching for a solution to this same problem. The Save button was not active on my LG G3 running Android 5.0.1. I got it to work by entering the IP address, the password, then unclicking Show advanced options. The Save button was then activated and the static IP could be stored. It stays even after I boot the router.

Thank you for posting that. I probably would have thrown my phone at the wall before trying every possible order.

-------------

FYI to people attempting to instruct others

DHCP Servers assign addresses in a set range. They do not prevent conflicts between statically assigned addresses and addresses they lease. I haven't seen any professional or SOHO routers or switches that will perform that task either. It is up to you, the network administrator in your home, to be sure there are not multiple devices attempting to use the same IP address on the same network. Most client devices that you will use as consumers will have operating systems advanced enough to show you an error message when there is a IP conflict. The idea that any AP or router would have the power to grey out the save button in your Android OS settings is just all around incorrect. The thread starter was correct in thinking he could manually set the IP on his G3. LG made a stupid mistake in how they set modifications to be saved by forcing them to proceed in this matter. I couldn't find any other info on this bug so it seems most likely it isn't born of the Android code. Anyone can set any manually configurable ip settings to any numbers they want in many cases, including ones that are completely incorrect. You do NOT have to set your DHCP server included in your routers to reserve a static IP address to your device via MAC address in order to use static IP addresses. That is a way to configure it but not the simplest. The simplest is manually changing the address on the device as drhex did with his other mobile devices. LG's bug prevented him from changing it on his G3.

TLDR version = RTFM before trying to help

It's really cool that so many people want to help and I applaud your efforts but it would be even greater if you took a bit of time to understand how your hardware and software work along with basic networking.

The idea of having a way for DHCP servers to provide information to clients so that clients aren't mis-configured is not a bad idea but IP addressing (IP4 anyway) is so simple I figure that nobody would bother to promote that idea much. For consumer products it definitely has a place. I wonder if there is a white paper out for the inclusion of such a protocol along side or within DHCP.

Many thanks again to Gingham!

Nh4x4jeep

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
Oyabun...

Please don't be so quick to declare others wrong.. It just intimidates other people and scares them off. If you can't be heard then what's the point of posting? People don't want to have to argue just to convince other people that their issue IS happening.. If you called tech support and they told you "that can't hapoen"..., you would'nt waste your time on the call... You'd hang up and trying to find your answer somewhere else.

I am having the same issue as DrHex.. I want to use OpenDNS Family Shield. In order to do so you must set your devices' DNS to their DNS servers.. you can do this by setting the DNS in the router and letting the devices inherit the DNS or by changing the DNS on the device itself. I wish to change the DNS on the individual devices as I want to change the DNS on my children's devices but not Auto-inhherit to my own devices..

When i go to the networks on my phone, long press, modify network, advanced options, then change network from DHCP to static, all of the other options become available; HOWEVER, they are all greyed out as is the save button.. I suspects this is so because the phone is locked and that this is the true issue. That's just my two cents worth.. I cannot; however, unlock my phone so I'm stuck.

Nh4x4jeep

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
From another post:

rossmcm posted:

Here's what I had to do:

- Turn on DHCP on my router
- Disable WiFi on the tablet, then re-enable it.
- Tablet connects to WiFi, and obtains a dynamic IP address.
- Go into "Modify Network" dialog.
- Change IP settings to Static
- Key in IP address required, Gateway, DNS servers
- "Save" button is now enabled!!
- Tap Save
- Turn DHCP off in router

Nh4x4jeep

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
Even THIS didn't work for me!

MY SOLUTION:

Set OPENDNS Family Shield settings on router
On Android device , choose "forget" network
Then, attach kids android to network
Set Google DNS settings on router
On my Android device, choose "forget" network
Then, attach MY android device to network

Each device inherits settings and works accordingly .. Kids Android devices still have grayed out settings for ORIGINAL DNS, BUT work as desired!

On a PC, goto "Network sharing Center", wireless network connection settings, properties, Internet Protocol version 4 TCP IP V4, properties, and set use the following DNS server address.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech