Upgrade to G3?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm taking a hard look at the G3, now that my G2 is almost up for exchange on the Next Plan. I hope someone can help me with a couple of questions.
1- Does the G3 have the "blinking led", like the G2 has? I love that light.
2- If i put all my notifications on the ext. sd card, how do i attach them when i want to replace a stock sound?

Any help is greatly appreciated.:p

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure what the LED does on a pure stock GS3. I use the app Lightflow, and it allows you to set different colors and blink patterns on an app by app basis. For example, you could set a fast blinking blue notification for text messages, and a slow blinking pink LED for email. The G3 does have multiple color LEDs which can be set to blink, but I'm not sure if blinking is built into the basic software.

As for sounds, in any app that lets you choose a notification (or ringtone) sound, sound files that are stored in the Notifications (or Ringtones) folders on the SD card will show up for selection. However, I've noticed on both my Samsung and G3 that sounds sometimes get reset to default if you put your custom sounds on the external SD. Putting them on internal storage prevents that.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
It has the led. Stock though most people have trouble getting it to work for emails. For texts and calls it works fine, although the led is hard to see from a sharp angle. But as posted above, people are saying light flow gets it working. Haven't tried it myself.

LordLugard

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm taking a hard look at the G3, now that my G2 is almost up for exchange on the Next Plan. I hope someone can help me with a couple of questions.
1- Does the G3 have the "blinking led", like the G2 has? I love that light.
2- If i put all my notifications on the ext. sd card, how do i attach them when i want to replace a stock sound?

Any help is greatly appreciated.:p

1. It has the LED but for some reason it's more gimped than on the G2. They made it smaller and tiny , but it's there. Blinks for me for calls, SMS, BBM, WhatsApp, etc..

2. When choosing a notification, just (use any file manager to) point to wherever your sounds are, in this case the SD card.

Battery life is just as stellar as the G2, slimmer and lighter (although I wish it were the same 5.2" vs 5.5"), plus SD card slot.

Now is a good time to buy as prices have really come down. I never rush to buy at launch, always wait for the hype to die down then buy what I want.

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Possibly hold out for the 2015 flagships... They are all very close now.

I don't think that the flagships will be out, at least not the G4, until May or June.:p

It's already February. If you can hold on a little longer, it would be opportune.

The G3 is a brilliant phone, the best I've ever had but seriously your best option is to wait because if I got the G3 now and then a few months later the G4 came out I'd be pissed.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The G3 is a brilliant phone, the best I've ever had but seriously your best option is to wait because if I got the G3 now and then a few months later the G4 came out I'd be pissed.

I agree with this.

The G3 is a great device but I can only imagine what LG will be doing with the G4. Hopefully, it'll be as good or better than the G3!

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I only say hold out a little longer because the G2 is a great phone. It's not like you currently have rubbish.

They best time to buy is slightly after a flagship is released, to get updated tech with decent pricing.

qmtc83

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I would wait and get something else while it is a great phone you might as well get the latest version if you can hold out.

Posted via the Android Central App

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Wait. The G2 is a perfectly capable phone until the G4 comes out. Trust me it will be worth it

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Well, for me it all depends on a couple of factors. When will the G4 be released to AT&T, and what will the size be. I also have a Nexus 5, but the N6 is just too big for my hand. My wife has the iPhone 6+, which i can handle, and the G3 is almost the exact size. I'm concerned that the trend is to bigger phones, or phablets, and i don't like it. With my Next Plan, i can get the G3, and pay it off in twelve months, or trade up after about eight months. I'm looking at a win/win situation, i believe. Anyway, i'll decide by next month.:p

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

^ This is the bottom line for me. I have a GS3 that I'm getting tired of but works fine if not a bit slow. I like the G3 but with the S6, HTC whatever it is, and G4 all to be out before the summer I'm waiting. Just a few more months and you get a choice of some really nice phones. If I jumped now I'd be kicking myself in short order...just doesn't make sense to jump ship right now.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I got mine a week or two ago. I don't HAVE to have the latest flagship. It'd be cool, but getting the G3 for $50 was pretty cool too. And being in Canada, with likely a longer wait than the U.S. for the new releases I didn't wait. And don't regret it. There will always be something newer and cooler coming out no matter what you buy or when you buy.

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, for me it all depends on a couple of factors. When will the G4 be released to AT&T, and what will the size be. I also have a Nexus 5, but the N6 is just too big for my hand. My wife has the iPhone 6+, which i can handle, and the G3 is almost the exact size. I'm concerned that the trend is to bigger phones, or phablets, and i don't like it. With my Next Plan, i can get the G3, and pay it off in twelve months, or trade up after about eight months. I'm looking at a win/win situation, i believe. Anyway, i'll decide by next month.:p

The 6+ is bigger than G3, they are not almost exact size . The only thing that is the same size is the screen.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
You're right. The point that i was making is that if i can handle the iPhone 6+, i can definitely handle the G3.
I would say that if you can handle the iPhone 6 plus, you might be able to work with the N6. Except the width might be a little wider and not to your liking.

And just remember, unless you're going naked, consider the additional bulk of a case when you handle the floor models at the store. If you're critical about size, that could make or break it.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I would say that if you can handle the iPhone 6 plus, you might be able to work with the N6. Except the width might be a little wider and not to your liking.

And just remember, unless you're going naked, consider the additional bulk of a case when you handle the floor models at the store. If you're critical about size, that could make or break it.

I've only used one brand of case for my phones. It's a Cruzerlite Bugdroid TPU case, which is very thin(for minimal protection), but with a great grip. I've never dropped any phone, but almost did when i checked out the N6 at AT&T. It's too wide for my hand. I keep my phone in a belt holster, so the grip of my case is very important when answering a call. The G3 would be ok for me, and as i'm not an iPhone person, the +6 would also work. My son's college roommate works in my local AT&T, and he can take out any phone from the storeroom, so i can check it out without the security cord.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2