Need a little help/advice

mrtinydave

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I have been a member for a little while here and love the forums. I just recently upgraded from the Nexus 5 to the LG G3 on t-mobile. I am seriously loving this phone so far. My question is that coming from a Nexus which I had rooted and roms on I would like to do the same with my G3 but can't find anyway to root it and unlock the bootloader so I can run a rom on it. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks to all in advance

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Purple Drake or Towel should work for root, and I'm pretty sure the boot loader on TMO devices is already unlocked.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If xocomaox comes by, he will probably help. He is one of our G3 rooting experts and always ready to advise. :)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Using the below spreadsheet it seems that your phone, D851 - 10C/M (USA T-Mobile), can be rooted using PurpleDrake. "Bumping" is not needed like the other variants ("bumping" roms and recovery mods was a way around actually unlocking the bootloader) due to the bootloader already being unlocked. Stump Root should also work for you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hs0qlcGP80gl9wC0r9bs0AWMD-1D9iGgC9ulCG9roMs/edit#gid=0

You can find these tools and methods below. You'll love this phone even more once you start flashing some ROMS to it!

PurpleDrake Root

Stump Root

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I've tried rooting today on an 8555 using Purple Drake and it wouldn't work despite being on the supported list. I got told my my phone was not running a compatible software version.

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Just realised you can't root lollipop. Have to downgrade to Kitkat first. All too much hassle, screw it!

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
So, just to soundboard my thinking :

1. Downgrade from Lollipop to Kitkat
2. Root
3. Take a Nandroid backup in Kitkat in case I need a safe factory restore point
4. Install my CM12 rom (or whichever rom I want)

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
So, just to soundboard my thinking :

1. Downgrade from Lollipop to Kitkat
2. Root
3. Take a Nandroid backup in Kitkat in case I need a safe factory restore point
4. Install my CM12 rom (or whichever rom I want)

Yes that is correct.

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Great, now I just need to find a bloody windows computer, as of course you can't do an OS downgrade on a Mac!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670