Why am I hearing pops or glitches when playing music from my Micro Sd on my LG G3?

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Issues with playing music from Micro Sd on LG G3

Hi, I am having issue with playback issue on my new LG G3. I have synced up to 5000 - 6000 songs from my itunes library to my 128gb sand disk micro sd card using isyncr. The issue is that randomly I will hear pops or glitches, I am uncertain as to what is causing this though I did not experience any issues when the music was stored on the internal memory. I have tried another music player app (Shuttle) but that did not sort the issue.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Issues with playing music from Micro Sd on LG G3

Are you using wired headphones or BT ones? If BT, that might be why.

If the issue is with the file, the 'skips' would appear always at the exact same spot in the song.

Also, some users with audio glitches have said that if you change the runtime from ART to Dalvik (you need to enable Developer Options for this).

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

Are you using wired headphones or BT ones? If BT, that might be why.

If the issue is with the file, the 'skips' would appear always at the exact same spot in the song.

I use wired headphones, the skips/pops never occur at the same time and sometimes don't occur at all, the read speed on the micro sd is around 20mbs.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If you copy the same file to internal memory, does it still happen or is it just with SD Card? Read speed for audio should be more than enough with 20mbps. Not for 4K video and really pushing it with FullHD, but that's not your case.

Have you tried the runtime change?

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

If you copy the same file to internal memory, does it still happen or is it just with SD Card? Read speed for audio should be more than enough with 20mbps. Not for 4K video and really pushing it with FullHD, but that's not your case.

Have you tried the runtime change?

No Issues with playing music on internal memory, it seems stable compared to the mem card. It happens randomly, sometimes the song on the memcard will skip and sometimes it won't

I haven't tried changing the runtime, I don't know how

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

No Issues with playing music on internal memory, it seems stable compared to the mem card. It happens randomly, sometimes the song on the memcard will skip and sometimes it won't

I haven't tried changing the runtime, I don't know how

I have the same problem but its not the memory card. Its the Aux port. Try using a headset that has 3 lines instead of 2. Or just use a pair of bluetooth headsets and see if the problem goes away for you. Good luck!

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

Well I have tried replacing the micro SD but the one I just put the issue still remains, could this be a background app which is causing the music to briefly pause?

Tom Stallard

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello Richard

I'm having the same issues with the random popping/glitches when playing mp3 and FLAC files stored on my microSD (sandisk 64gb Ultra). Internal stored music is fine, perfect playback.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking at reformatting the SD card to FAT32 - I think currently it is exFAT (which is the default format the phone formats). Problem is you need a micro sd card adaptor to then plug into a computer to do this. And you also need a 3rd party program to format to FAT32 if your card is over 32GB.

I've read up a little on this and it appears the FAT32 is faster in terms of read/write speeds... however you are restricted to files no bigger than 4gb. This isn't an issue for me because I just have music on my phone. It is a long shot but it MAY work... I'm going to buy a microSD USB reader and see what happens. Won't do it for another few weeks probably. In the meantime, If you have the ability to do this with yours and it's successful, please can you let me know. It may be that you have an SD card reader in your laptop or PC already.

REMEMBER that reformatting the card will ERASE all data on it (you probably know that but just in case).

Regards,

Tom

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello Richard

I'm having the same issues with the random popping/glitches when playing mp3 and FLAC files stored on my microSD (sandisk 64gb Ultra). Internal stored music is fine, perfect playback.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking at reformatting the SD card to FAT32 - I think currently it is exFAT (which is the default format the phone formats). Problem is you need a micro sd card adaptor to then plug into a computer to do this. And you also need a 3rd party program to format to FAT32 if your card is over 32GB.

I've read up a little on this and it appears the FAT32 is faster in terms of read/write speeds... however you are restricted to files no bigger than 4gb. This isn't an issue for me because I just have music on my phone. It is a long shot but it MAY work... I'm going to buy a microSD USB reader and see what happens. Won't do it for another few weeks probably. In the meantime, If you have the ability to do this with yours and it's successful, please can you let me know. It may be that you have an SD card reader in your laptop or PC already.

REMEMBER that reformatting the card will ERASE all data on it (you probably know that but just in case).

Regards,

Tom

I have a G3 D851 (T-Mobile), Android 4.4.2 and 64GB Sandisk Ultra - the grey and maroon colored card. All of my music is on the card as opposed to internal memory. Most of my music is v0, 320k and just a handful of FLAC. I understand your frustration. I can't tolerate any artifacts in my music - pops, glitches, etc and use higher end headphones and IEM's. I have no sound issues with MP3 or FLAC.

Tom Stallard and Richard Lister - what release of Android are you using? What model of G3?

First try backing up the card content and formatting as Tom suggested to rule that out.
It could be an app but odd that it only happens with the microSD. Try removing one app at a time. Disabling an app also works, and with force stop the app may restart again. So removing the app is better.

It is best - and maybe less time consuming, to do a Factory Reset and restore only the Google apps. Use the stock music player. My guess is you have a defective phone.

Tom Stallard

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys. Thanks for the replies.

I'm on android 5.0, using playerpro app with their DSP pack. My LG is LG-D855.

My thinking is that there is something in the background which is interrupting the playback. I've tried using flight mode and turning off wifi, sync etc, with no effect. I'm going to see if FAT32 works but ultimately I reckon there's a naughty app somewhere. I'm hoping it's not Playerpro because that app is awesome.

I'll try Noozy (thanks steveovr). Does that have gapless playback?

Tardus what player do you use?

Cheers chaps.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have a LG-D855 on andriod 5.0, I think I tried to reformat to FAT32 but the phone wouldn't read it. Does anyone know of any apps that can format this card?

Thanks

Tom Stallard

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Richard,

I can't find any app (unless your rooted) that formats SD cards at FAT32.

However, I have had success with using a new player called Poweramp. There's a free 15 day trial and thereafter it is £3. Been playing all of my FLACs and MP3s with almost perfect playback (I've had about 3 glitches in 4 hours, and these were only when I was playing on the phone googling something or unlocking it). There's settings on the app which try and help if you still experience 'skips' which I've tweaked. It's a lot better and the gapless is also much better than my previous app, Playerpro.

Give it a go. I don't think I'm going to bother FAT32'ing my SD card now, as it seems pretty good. I also recommend turning off wifi, mobile data, sync (or 'airplane' mode... isn't it Aeroplane? lol). I've noticed that when a message came through it caused a glitch.

Poweramp appears to be the way forward. Do some research about the best EQ settings also, to make your tunes sound even better.

Ho'rah.

Tom Stallard

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Update after few more hours of listening.

On Poweramp there's a two settings found in audio>advanced tweaks. "audio buffer size" set mine to +250ms and "Audio Thread Priority" set to +2.

Have now listened for hours, received messages, played with phone with NO glitches or blips. If I get any I can increase the above settings but so far so good.

Richard have you given this a go? Be good to hear you have the same result.

Happy listening all.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

Hi

I managed to find app for windows called partionwizard which used to format sd card to fat32.

This seems to have worked for me and i no longer get any of the glitches i got before.

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Heavybob23

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site

Poweramp is the quickest and easiest solution. Not to mention an excellent music player. Well worth getting the paid version.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan