Now that Android 5(.0.1) is here with improved external SD card handling, what file manage works?

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I've used ES File Explorer prior to Kit Kat but it doesn't appear to be ready (or maybe I'm missing some setting) for Lollypop's new access ability. Are there any file managers that work under the new paradigm?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It is really sad to hear of ES File Explorer's incompatibility with the new version. I love that application. I hope it is fixed soon.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about the fact that the SD card is now part of the file system, not an external storage device, that has nothing to do with the file manager apps. It has to do with learning how Linux works, so that you can create folders using the apps that are going to write in them. You can't create a file with one app, then edit it with another app, unless the editing (renaming, deleting, any edit) app is a member of the group that created it or is rooted.

That's not going to change with 5.0, 5.1, 6 or any later version of Android. It's been that way in Linux ... well, in Unix, from the beginning, and it's how most operating systems (not Windows or Mac, but most real ones) work. It's how Android should have worked from the start.

anon(5804888)

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the file system changes are superior. But when it breaks the usability of your $600 toy and limits you to less available memory, then maybe better isn't always good.

drhex

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I have been able to write files anywhere on the external SD card on a stock LG G3/lollipop using the latest version of the X-plore file manager.

Last edited:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The developers just have to make the neccessary changes to get this working in 5.0. This just means I won't be moving to Lollipop anytime soon, even witht he news that xposed framework is now compatible with 5.0!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay