why can't I use my Gmail app.?

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
My Gmail app. for my LG G3 is not working,when I click on it it will ask me to add my email address and it say that this account already exists.I am able to enter Gmail through the browser but not through the Gmail app.I have downloaded this app.from Play Store uninstalled it and reinstalled it a few times trying to make it work,but it does not.Interestingly,the Gmail app.in my iPad is working fine.I am not positive but it started to happen when I updated my unlocked phone to Android 5.0.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you're using the Login link and not the 'Create New Account' prompt? If you go to Settings, Accounts in your phone, does your Google account show up there? Is the Gmail option available and active?

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
It urges me to use the "Create New Account" prompt.Thats the only choice it gives me.When I go to Settings>Accounts&Sync I get to Auto-sync data
its marked ON.The Accounts are Email and Google.Click on Google Accounts is my email address synced.How do I proceed from here?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you take a screenshot of whatever you have available when you open the GMail app, please? I really don't know what could be happening, as the app should connect to your account automatically. I guess you could try removing your Google account and re-adding it (or at least trying to disable GMail sync, and then re-enabling it first).

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I wish I know how to take a screenshot of what comes-up when I click on the Gmail app.Alas,I don't know how to take a screenshot.If I remove my Google account and re-ading it will it allow me to use the same email address?

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
perhaps I can explain what I see at first:a large red M New in Gmail ( its a video prom),the next step is GOT IT.Now a sort of a half envelop with 3 pages sticking out of it:mad:outlook,@yahoo,@gmail under it says;you can now add all your email addresses
Add an email address
when I add my email address and click on
Take me to Gmail
it says that :that account already exits
or add another account
I don't want another account,but just to see what happens I did go through all the steps that it asked me to do and on the end I got back to where I started from.It sounds crazy,my head is swimming by now,I have been at this now for 8-10 days!But I am very thankful for your help!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like the intro when you first open the app, but the 'add account' prompt should be only if you want to add a new e-mail account. Have you tried backing out of that? Or not adding an e-mail account?

If you remove your account from your phone and re-add it, yes, it'll let you use the same account you're using now, you will just have to re-sync stuff that was already there (contacts, settings. etc., not apps). Just as if this was a new phone.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!You are probably seeing my problem now.There is no way backing out of it,except going back to the Gmail app.that put s you right back to the same place.And if I don't add a new account as it wants for me to do to stops right there,will not let me go any further.
Now,I have tried to remove the Gmail app. and reinstall it,no result,back at the same problem.I wonder if Android 5.0 causing this,I had not have this with KitKat 4.4.Should I choose to remove the account,how do I go by doing it?I am afraid loosing the ability the use GMAIL through the browser as well!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why this is happening, since I've tried two phones with Lollipop to test it and they all get instant access to GMail. Granted, they're not my phones so I can't ask them to uninstall the app and re-install it to see the intro video again, so I'm not sure about that part.

Removing your account from your phone will not keep you from being able to use GMail through web, your account is not touched. To do this, go to Settings, Accounts (in your phone) and select Google and your account. There should be a REMOVE ACCOUNT option in the menu there. Then just re-add the same account and see if this resolves the issue.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!Now when I go into my Google account there are a bunch of other things in there like..Calendar,Contacts,Drive, Google Playbooks,Google Play Music....etcetera and Gmail .should I Remove Gmail only and reinstall it ?Where will I get the Gmail app.from the Play Store?It will be the same app. I am using now I hope its not corrupted and its what causing the problem.Anyway thats the last thing I can try.Thanks again for your help,I'll let you know how it came out

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The app actually doesn't go away if you remove your account from your phone, but if you want to uninstall the app, you can find it in the Play Store.

Removing your account, however, will sign you out of any other Google services, like Play Books, Music, YouTube, etc. While the apps will not be uninstalled, you will be signed out of all of them.

When you try to sign into any of them, they will add the Google account to your phone once you do.

You can try first to just un-tick the GMail option, reboot, and re-enable it. If that doesn't help, then try removing the account altogether and then re-adding it.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
this becoming a nitemare!I removed the Google account of my mail,reinstalled it rebooted and.....nothing ,the same old thing comes up.But with a explanation that this app. will not work unless Play Services is installed and activated and it gives me a app. for it .So I open the app. mark this on>mark that on verification codes,I answer and do all to the best of my ability and on the end the Gmail app. on my Home page still would not open!
That app.( Play Services or something) I can't even see anywhere.I am really getting tired Googles Gmail nonsense!I am surrey are getting tired as well me bothering you with this problem,but I am very grateful your kindness!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you disable any apps in your phone? Google Play Services is NOT an app, it's an essential part of your phone, but if you're rooted, you can delete/disable it, rendering basically most of Google's services useless in your phone.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have not rooted the phone,its an unlocked phone Lg G3 LG-D855 Google Play services shows in Settings>Apps. Version 6.7.76 (1745988-430) and its not disabled.In it there is Launch by Default and there is no default set,and it gives me no choice to set anything default.The whole thing is really pothetic this much trouble to able to use Gmail?! And the funniest part is that it worked probably before I updated to Android 5.0,but I can't remember exactly when.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You really shouldn't have to deal with Play Services... there's no default set nor can you choose anything there because, again, it's not an app, it's an internal service for everything else.

I'm afraid the Lollipop update has gone wrong at some point with your phone and you might need to do a factory reset. Unfortunately, this means everything (documents, apps, files, etc.) will be wiped clean, so back up everything first and check twice that you've backed up everything you need.

I talked to someone who owns a G3 and they don't have issues with the GMail app (and they're on Lollipop, too). I'm not on Lollipop yet, but my Note 4 has no issues with GMail, nor does my Tab S. So it's not the app, it's gotta be something that went wrong with YOUR phone :(

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.I am not sure what am I going to do I guess I could do a factory but I am not keen on doing that yet.At the moment I can live with the stock email and getting Gmail through the Browser.I sure you are right,but remember that Gmail app. was updated more than once and then I had the Lollipop upgrade and between he two something went wrong.Everything else works flawlessly on my device.Why is it not cool getting your Gmail through the Browser?Thank you again for trying so hard to solve this madness and if you come up with some other solution,please don't hesitate to let me know.I don't think anyone else can help me.

killerwvu

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
The update messed up my Gmail app and the Play Store and pretty much everything Google related. After a few days of trying to manual undo everything from the apps, I had to do a factory reset. It's annoying, but at least everything works now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with killerwvu... When an update this 'big' hits a phone, it's usually best practice to do a factory reset afterwards. Not ideal, but it's the way it is. And from what I've been reading, this is one of the buggiest releases I've seen, so it only becomes more of a good idea to just factory reset your phone after Lollipop.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.Its just I can't make up my mind if I should do a factory for correcting Gmail.Right now I am using the stock email and if I want to I can get into Gmail through the Browser.Everything else is running very well.Is it worth it to do?Will the stock email give problems along the line so that I wish I had done the factory?I can't answer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12