recommendation for email app

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have been tinkering with K-9 mail and like it. There seems to be a lost of settings so I will have to learn it
Big problem is that I can not get it to add my gmail account. No matter what I do this error pops up when I try to add it. I am positive my account info is correct.

Setup could not finish
Username or password incorrect.
(Command: AUTHENTICATE PLAIN;response: #2# [NO,[ALERT], Please log in via your web browser:
http://support.google.com/mail/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=78754 (Failure)])

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Here are the results of my email app testing. So far have not found one that works right.
I even tried a few paid ones, then got a refund because they did not work.

Email(Google)
not compatible with phone

CloudMagic Email
does not support POP3

myMail—Free Email Application
does not support pop3

Aqua Mail
does not support POP3
no manual config
app deleted all my email because auto setup as imap

K9 Mail
promising
does not work with gmail
can not get support. generic reply
only use forum and unable to get help

Outlook Preview
to many bugs ande problems to list
does not support pop3

MailDroid
can not disable auto push/check email
drains battery and will not stop checking for email

K-Mail Pro
does not work with gmail

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but your testing is faulty. Not everything you listed, but quite a bit of it. For example...

AquaMail does support POP3, it does have manual config, and it's just not possible to delete mail unless you tell it to. Also, default behavior is to ask to confirm delete before proceeding. And even if deleted, it's recoverable.
K9 does work with Gmail.
MailDroid can disabale auto push/check.
K-Mail does work with Gmail.

These are some I have used and can verify. Maybe you should give some a second try. Seems liike you're not spending enough time with some of them to understand what they are actually capable of.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I can verify that all these results are accurate, at least for my device and account. I was never able to get K-9 to work on gmail no matter what I did.
It was suggested that I turn on the "less secure access" to gmail and I am not comfortable taking that chance.

I checked the maildroid forum and it was listed that maildroid can not diable push/check yet. I also went through every menu and could not find any such option

I tried setting up accounts in AquaMail multiple times, and even used manual, and it never prompted for pop or imap

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, all I can say is I had no problem with K9 and Gmail and no doubt thousands of other users don't either.

I used a POP3 account with AquaMail until a few months ago.

I'd like to see you find a satisfactory email app. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I apologize. I was able to manually configure AquaMail for POP3. There is a setting on the top of the screen and it is easy to miss.
It allows the manual server setting for POP or IMAP.

I was able to setup my regular email and Gmail without any problems. Now I have to figure out how to use it. AquaMail seems to have a lot of options and features.

As far as K-9 Mail, here is a screen capture of the error.K-9 Mail Error.jpg

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
No apology needed. I was wrong about MailDroid and disabling push anyway.

AquaMail does have a *lotta* options and some are tricky to find. Go back to my post #12. Any questions please ask. I've used AquaMail long enough I think I could answer most questions, but the built-in help is good.

As for K9, do you get that error on WiFi, mobile data or both? I know that seems like an odd question, but I've seen it make a difference, particularly on WiFi.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I get that error when I try to configure gmail. The connection type does not matter.

I do have a couple of AquaMail questions.
1) Is there any way to see all the folders for an IMAP account?
I don't need to sync them, but on occasion I access messages I have stored there
2) When there is a new message, does AquaMail pop open the folders under the account or indicate there is a new message?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
About K9...I haven't used it for quite a while... I need to do a little research.

1. Tap on the Account title bar and it shows all the folders that are set to sync. If some folders do not appear that you want to see, long-press on the Account title bar > tap Options and folders > tap Folders > tap the desired folder > select sync option.
You can check folders and read messages without causing a sync.

2. It just notifies of a new message (unless notification is turned off). There's a bunch of global notification options in: Settings > Message notifications. There's also an option to turn the screen on in global settings.
Individual account notification settings are: Long-press on the account title bar > Special settings > tap Message notifications.

Last edited:

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I had all those settings configured before I setup gmail in K-9. I even tried the manual config on this page and still get that error

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Do you happen to know why AquaMail deleted all my emails from the server on the POP3 account?
I keep the messages on the server so that I can access them from wembail on any computer that I have. Now AquaMail deleted everything

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
For K9, I really haven't found much more help for your problem. Emailing the developers might be your best bet. Or Google around and see what you can find. Maybe you'll search out something I missed.

As for AquaMail deleting email, I didn't realize that it was a POP3 account. I wish I still had a POP3 account setup so I could check out the settings but I've gone all IMAP. I hate POP3. If IMAP is available there's just not much reason to stick with POP3.

Anyway, did the missing mail go to a Deleted folder? Check the incoming server settings. I think there's an option to leave mail on the server but I can't remember for sure so don't hold me to it. Look in Help > FAQ and read about the delete options.

Last edited:

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
You can't reach the K-9 developers. I tried contacting them and just got a simple reply that they will not accept support requests by email. You have to use their forum, which is made up of users bot the app developers. They were only able to offer the same suggestions listed here.

As far as AquaMail, I found the delete settings confusing. But it was even more suprising and dangerous that the app deleted mail from a POP3 account. I know IMAP will move messages to the trash/deleted folder on the server. But AquaMail completely deleted them.
I had to contact my web host to restore a backup to get my email back.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I was looking at Type, which used to be BlueMail before they screwed up the name.
Is there a way to change the app name so that it appears as "BlueMail" instead of "Type"?
The name is confusing and makes no sense

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have no idea how you could change the name of Type back to BlueMail other than break down the .apk and a little code change.

As for AquaMail deleting your POP3 mail, that's very odd. When I used it with POP3 I never had a problem. Try contacting AquaMail support. They might be able to fix you up. They've got a good reputation for being responsive and helpful. I've never had a problem with AquaMail I needed help with, it's really been totally solid for me. So never having contacted support myself I can't personally verify, but others seem satisfied with the support.

Best solution for your POP3 problem is, of course, to get rid of POP3...

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I was looking at Type, which used to be BlueMail before they screwed up the name.
Is there a way to change the app name so that it appears as "BlueMail" instead of "Type"?
The name is confusing and makes no sense

I don't know either how to change it but so far as long as Blue Mail/Type does what I need it to do, I'm ok with their name change.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae