Strongly considering a move from S5 to LG 4

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I like the S5, but am less than enthused about either version of the S6 or HTC 9. I like what I've seen in the G3 and will probably get the G4, but wonder what some of the common issues/hangups are about the G3 have been (everyone has them, right)? I haven't completely gone through this forum. Anyone care to share some of the common issues/hangups on the G3?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you should amend your strong considerations for a device that not even the specs are available yet. I understand your need to jump to another manufacturer or line, but it is a little premature.

You questions about the G3 are valid, and a good idea but only in theory. The G4 could be so different that any criticism about the G3 could be non-existent on the next iteration. Moreover, new criticisms for the yet-to-be announced device are still unknown.

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I know the G4's specs aren't out yet, but I'm definitely NOT buying a S6, iphone, or an HTC. I was impressed enough with the G3 that LG phones have moved to the top of my list... but I'd still prefer to know the hangups of the previous model (despite the possible differences).

I like to be as informed as I can, which means knowing a little bit about a thing's history.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Good points. I think we can safely say LG has had some thermal issues with the G3 as far as a quality control standpoint. Added to this are rumors about thermal issues with the G Flex 2. Not all are affected, but enough to cause some red flags when purchasing. Although trade in policy is fairly painless if you go through a carrier and can exchange until you get a normal unit. Also it is safe to say LG, like most manufacturers in the Android business, have had some issues with their programming, both on a kernel and ROM level. Bugs and oddities, but I would not say more or less than the average manufacturer. People have been praising LG's close-to-stock experience, while others have disagreed. It seems more like personal preference than anything, and nothing that can't be fixed with some rooting. ;) Another common thing I see is Bluetooth streaming for music. People are constantly complaining about choppy performance, and I am unable to determine if this is a software or hardware issue.

The most praise I feel has come from form-factor and screen to body ratio with the G series. I expect the G4 to follow suit.

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Any feedback on how quickly the G3 was updated when a new version of the Android OS came out (for AT&T)? For me, updating the S5 is/was EXTREMELY SLOW on the firmware updates.

the_newnormal

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Around the world updates were quick, but from memory the USA carriers were slow.

G3 is only usb2, and the socket takes some getting used to ( insert on slight angle).

Sound is great, but the auto detection of headphones with or w/o microphone or aux out wasn't reliable until updates.

Camera is great also, but some photo post processing makes zoomed images look a little like a painting, if that makes any sense

Genuine accessories are harder to find than they should be

Screen is bright enough for me, but some want better sunshine viewing

Presumably all those items will be fixed on a G4 though

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Any feedback on how quickly the G3 was updated when a new version of the Android OS came out (for AT&T)? For me, updating the S5 is/was EXTREMELY SLOW on the firmware updates.

LG has been pretty good with rolling out 5.0 update to all the USA carriers so they could work with it and then soak test.

Thiscrapsucks35

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly thrilled about potentially buying a G4 and then LG releasing a higher end phone in the 2nd half of the year. Just gives me advanced buyer's remorse.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly thrilled about potentially buying a G4 and then LG releasing a higher end phone in the 2nd half of the year. Just gives me advanced buyer's remorse.

If you're looking to buy the highest-spec device available then wait for LG to announce it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12