From VS98512B to 10B, back to 12B but Rooted

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to share my experiences with Verizon’s LG G3 software recovery, rooting, and why I went back to VS98512B. I know that there are threads covering rooting. I also know there are threads covering going back to stock, but I haven’t seen one covering how to be rooted with 12B. Of course I might have missed it. After all, my wife says I’m not very observant. (I’ve made links in the words to the sites I used if you’re interested in doing this yourself. As always, only you are responsible if you break your device.)

So, to start:

I wanted root access. I was on VS98512B and saw no way to gain root with that version of VZW’s software. (I did not try Stump Root while on 12B to begin with. It might have worked, but I can neither confirm, nor deny.) After reading several posts, it looked like there were two thoughts for Verizon LG G3 owners wanting to go back to 10B.

One of them (KDZ method) had me going back to 10B_01, but that wouldn’t allow me to take any updates. At least not according to the notes. Why would I want to update? More on that in a minute. Also, it was not easy to follow and actually seem to be a little tougher to do.

The second one (and one I went with) was the TOT method, as it uses 10B_03 which can be updated. Simple and straight forward, that is after I found a different link from XDA. The XDA post didn’t have a file that I needed to perform the restore. However, the link I used for the TOT method had all the files I needed and worked great. (I plan on asking the XDA developer where the missing file is, or if he know it’s missing, or once again, did I not get it because of my failure to be observant.)

After restoring back to 10B and performing the minimum amount of work to get the phone back operational, I rooted using Stump Root. It worked fine, but I can say that I had to let it "Brute Force" the root. It took about 4 minutes before it asked me to reboot.

Then I updated to 11C. Checked to make sure I still had root. I did, so I updated to 12B. I still had root then, so I performed an FDR, and now I’m in the process of restoring all apps, etc. I still have root access, so this will be my last update.

Why did I update? The 12B update actually drastically improved the battery life when using GPS. Anyone that used the G3 and GPS a lot noticed a huge drain prior to the 12B update. Also, I noticed an improvement on holding a LTE signal with 12B. There’s a spot in my house where I jump back to 3G on 10B and 11C, but 12B it stays on LTE. I never jump back to 3G.

Now, I’ve said all of this to help out anyone that wants to root from 12B, is afraid to. Also, if anyone is stuck on 10B and afraid to update because they might lose root, I wanted to let you know that you can go up to 12B.

Will I go to Lollipop? Not with this G3. I have updated about as far as I care to. My phone works great on 12B, and now that it’s rooted, I can use my Tasker app and make it do everything I want it to do.

Signed,
Finally Happy with his G3

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ummmmmm, because I had already gone back by the time I ran into Stump root. You're right. I should have tried it on 12B, but I didn't.

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, I'm trying to do this method.

My Problem: I'm stuck in the step where I put my G3 in Download Mode and then I go to Device Manager and I cant seem to find it under Ports (COM & LPT). I have installed the provided drivers and still no go...

This are my hardware and software specifications:

LG G3 Model VS985 Android Version: Kitkat 4.4.2 (12B).
Operating System: Windows 8.1 N

Note: In device manager I didn't even have the option of Ports (COM & LPT) I had to install some legacy hardware Drivers.. that's under Action > Add legacy hardware.

If you need me to give you more info just ask me.. I really want to have my g3 rooted in 12B like you do..:-\

thank you in advance :)
I

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

My Problem: I'm stuck in the step where I put my G3 in Download Mode and then I go to Device Manager and I cant seem to find it under Ports (COM & LPT). I have installed the provided drivers and still no go...

Note: In device manager I didn't even have the option of Ports (COM & LPT) I had to install some legacy hardware Drivers.. that's under Action > Add legacy hardware.

If you need me to give you more info just ask me.. I really want to have my g3 rooted in 12B like you do..:-\

I

I had the same problem. What worked was uninstalling the drivers, then putting the phone in download mode while plugged in, then installing the drivers while the phone was plugged in and in download mode. I had the device settings up and was watching. It would refresh while the drivers were installing a couple of times, then Ports would show up.

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site

I

Nevermind I just left the pone plugged in and after a few minutes it just showed up there.. So weird!

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. What worked was uninstalling the drivers, then putting the phone in download mode while plugged in, then installing the drivers while the phone was plugged in and in download mode. I had the device settings up and was watching. It would refresh while the drivers were installing a couple of times, then Ports would show up.

Thank you I completed the flashing Now lets get rooted, I think I will try IORoot instead its a one click solution. What do you think ?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you I completed the flashing Now lets get rooted, I think I will try IORoot instead its a one click solution. What to you think ?

Stumproot was soooooo freekin' easy. I mean, really easy. I had to wait 2 - 3 minutes, but it rooted itself but it worked great on 10B. I recommend stumproot. You already got it plugged into your computer. Just place stumproot on it, check allow unknown sources, install, then root. Uninstall once root is accomplished. Update back up to 12B. I threw a FDR in at 12B just for S&Gs.

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your prompt response. One thing tho, I'm not very familiar with some of your abbreviations, FDR means Fast Dump Restore? (Google) what is it? and about S&Gs well Google said some things that it would be too amusing if I post it here lol..

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
FDR - Factory Data Reset (IE: Start over with a fresh install.) I like to reset back to stock after the last update just because you're doing so much to the phone going from stock 10b to rooted 12b.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your prompt response. One thing tho, I'm not very familiar with some of your abbreviations, FDR means Fast Dump Restore? (Google) what is it? and about S&Gs well Google said some things that it would be too amusing if I post it here lol..

Well, hopefully a mod won't come in and slap me down... Sh**s and Giggles ;)

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
It makes sense. Do I need to specify an option in SuperSU App so it maintains the root after I update? and did you just checked for OTA updates? or you flashed them One by one? sorry for asking too much I just don't want to screw this one!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It makes sense. Do I need to specify an option in SuperSU App so it maintains the root after I update? and did you just checked for OTA updates? or you flashed them One by one? sorry for asking too much I just don't want to screw this one!

Flashed one by one. You have to install SU from the Play store, but it maintains root all the way up to 12B. I stopped at 11C and made sure using rootchecker.

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
All Good Untill Now! I'm rooted in 10B :D, Now lastly can you point me where are these images located? 11C and 12B ? and Just to confirm you flashed them doing the same steps as we downgraded? Thank you!!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
All Good Untill Now! I'm rooted in 10B :D, Now lastly can you point me where are these images located? 11C and 12B ? and Just to confirm you flashed them doing the same steps as we downgraded? Thank you!!

Oh no. I didn't flash them. I just accepted the OTAs.

wreyes02

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmm.. Is there a way to force OTAS to my device? I check for updates but it says it doesn't need one.. which is not correct since I'm in 10B. I tried updating it from the PC but the Software Upgrade Assistant is download a 1625.93MB file which I think is too large.. So what I think is going to happen If I upgrade with my PC is that it will Flash again my phone and remove EVERYTHING... since OTAS are not that large.. what are you thoughts about this?

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. Is there a way to force OTAS to my device? I check for updates but it says it doesn't need one.. which is not correct since I'm in 10B. I tried updating it from the PC but the Software Upgrade Assistant is download a 1625.93MB file which I think is too large.. So what I think is going to happen If I upgrade with my PC is that it will Flash again my phone and remove EVERYTHING... since OTAS are not that large.. what are you thoughts about this?

Sorry. For some reason I'm not getting emails for this even though I'm subscribed.

Which version did you flash? 10B_01 or 10B_03? _01 will not allow updates. _03 will. If you flashed _01, I don't know if there is a way to update...