keyboard lag

Manbartz

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Since updating to lollipop, my keyboard lags like no other. The only applications it works well in is the stock SMS app. Using applications such as Facebook, Facebook messenger and skype has become an unreal chore that takes sometimes 1-2 seconds for the letter to appear after typing it. I am using the stock keyboard and I especially noticed it after updating to lollipop. It gets exponentially slower the more you type into the input area. Does anyone have any advice on how I can speed it up or insight as to what could be causing this?

Thanks

scotty729

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You can try going into your settings in the keyboard area, there are different settings in there that you can try adjusting. Also try clearing the cache from the keyboard it will start you out fresh. And if none of that works you might want to think about downloading a third party keyboard like SwiftKey, I use it and I never have lag. Keep in mind too that through my experience Facebook and all of its related apps seem to cause nothing but problems, and generally cause the problems you are experiencing. Hope this helps and maybe someone might even have something better for you.

Posted via Android Central App

Manbartz

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have actually used swiftkey and generally liked it. The lag eventually got very bad and had to switch to stock, which worked well for a bit but now here I am. It seems to me that both the google keyboard and the lg keyboard are activated at the same time. Not sure what's going on. The thing that is strange to me is that I use my phone very lightly, eg. No games, no widgets, etc.

scotty729

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You can through the language and input section in your settings turn off the Google keyboard so only the one you choose is activated.

Posted via Android Central App

Manbartz

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, the keyboard woes continue.

Let me get this straight, no one else experiences lag in apps such as Facebook and Facebook messenger?

How the keyboards breakdown for me:

Swiftkey: This keyboard is sexy. Beautiful UI and ergonomics. But I also get medium lag, which makes me wonder.
Google Keyboard: Super fast in stock sms, everything else I get extreme lag. Deal breaker.
LG Keyboard: Best all around keyboard for me. The response isn't the greatest, but it keeps up in most apps. There is just one huge problem, I can't figure out a way to utilize Google Talk-to-text(Speak). Any ideas anybody? Surely, LG didn't forget to leave that out...

Does anyone have any suggestions when it comes to keyboards? I love androids and I have been using them for years, but can't we get these things to type responsively like iPhones?

Anything I should try before factory reset?

joebloggs13

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have always used SwiftKey, and haven't noticed any lag since update. It's interesting how when these updates come out, and based on carriers, some experience a nightmare of issues while others don't. Makes you wonder how much beta testing carriers do, or do they just want to be the first carrier to get the update out.
I am with Bell in Canada, and while we were late getting the update, I have experienced no issues. Initially I didn't even do a factory reset, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. I ended up doing a factory reset, because I wanted to start fresh with this update, having backed up all my data previously.
It must be frustrating for some people here, because it almost seems random, how updates affect phones. As well, SwiftKey should be optimized for Android 5.0 no?

Posted via the Android Central App

Manbartz

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Just an update:

Keyboard problems still exist.
Google keyboard, slow.
Swift key, slowest.
LG keyboard, OK. But this keyboard lacks so much refinement. Especially in landscape mode. No adjustment for height in landscape mode makes it almost impossible to type accurately.

Please tell me I am not the only one. Any ideas?

This is my only issue with this phone.

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Just an update:

Keyboard problems still exist.
Google keyboard, slow.
Swift key, slowest.
LG keyboard, OK. But this keyboard lacks so much refinement. Especially in landscape mode. No adjustment for height in landscape mode makes it almost impossible to type accurately.

Please tell me I am not the only one. Any ideas?

This is my only issue with this phone.

I have the same issue as well, and out of all keyboards, I had to stick with Google because it's more predictive, though laggy, especially after sending a text.

Manbartz

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue as well, and out of all keyboards, I had to stick with Google because it's more predictive, though laggy, especially after sending a text.

Sucks doesn't it? Which carrier are you on?

I have done a factory reset on my phone, started using the stock launcher, and use very little apps.

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Sucks doesn't it? Which carrier are you on?

I have done a factory reset on my phone, started using the stock launcher, and use very little apps.
It does, it's so bad! I'm on AT&T using their D850 5.0.1, with Nova prime launcher and Google keyboard with the stock messaging app and it lags always. And yes I've done the factory reset too. I'm hoping the 5.1.1 would fix this..

Exit: I changed my default SMS app to Hangouts and it seems the Google keyboard isn't lagging at all when sending texts there, however I'm losing the pop up window notification and some features.. I hope they really fix the keyboard issue for the default stock SMS app.

Last edited:

HaveBlue83

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I also get the laggy keyboard. The phone i just returned actually would stop respondong to my inputs and then suddenly throw all the keys i hit out on the screen all at once. I cant even use swiftkey anymore. Way to laggy on my last phones

Rayfire

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I also get the laggy keyboard. The phone i just returned actually would stop respondong to my inputs and then suddenly throw all the keys i hit out on the screen all at once. I cant even use swiftkey anymore. Way to laggy on my last phones
Is your replacement phone having the same lag issue as well? Or only the one that you returned?

I'm planning to do a warranty claim too if this continues, it sucks..

HaveBlue83

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Replacement seems fine with the keyboard.

The last one did the hot and cpu hog. Then after the restore it went crazy with keyboard lag in messenger and text. Messenger was REALLLLLY BAD. just wouldnt type and then it blirted em out.

My old gs3 had big issues with swiftkey and general typing as well fwiw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12