ATT LG G3 Android Auto

msunshine#AC

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Pioneer 8100nex today for Android Auto and so far I've had no luck getting it to work. Android Auto will start for a split second, the screen will go black for a second, and then it goes back to the home screen. The head unit shows the Android Auto icon for a second and then it goes away.

I know it's new, but has anyone had any luck with an ATT G3 and Android Auto?

I verified with a Nexus 5 that the head unit actually works with Android Auto.

I'm running Lollipop...

Thanks.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
A couple things to try that I've seen folks mention:

1. Turn on USB debugging in the system developer options.
2. Set Android Auto to developer mode. (Not just turn on the options, but use the dropdown therein to set the app to dev mode.)

Hope that works! Swing by our Android Auto forums, too!

msunshine#AC

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I tried both, but still no luck. Same symptoms as earlier. I also upgraded the new firmware to the 8100 as well.

It is odd. It's like it wants to work, and Android Auto pops up for a split second, and then just minimizes and/or crashes.

Bifman

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Any luck yet? I swung by best by to see the 4100NEX, but my Sprint LG3 exhibited the same behavior, trying to pull up a screen but seemingly crashing out within a second.

Pretty irritated, I want to order one but if the G3 isn't going to play ball I don't want to spend the time or money.:-\

Bifman

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Do I have to root to do that? I'm not android-savvy enough to do that and I need to warranty my phone since the earpiece stopped working...

Also, can we expect this is just something that will get fixed? I think I'm going to pull the trigger if I can reasonably expect it to get updated with a fix.

Bifman

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Well, I couldn't resist the impulse and pulled the trigger. Hopefully an update to Android Auto, Lollipop, or the LG firmware fixes it. I'm pretty tech-smart but I don't understand what the problem is with the phone not playing ball. It sounds like AA is still pretty glitch for any phone, so I expect it'll get better in time.

msunshine#AC

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I never got it working. I got tired of trying so I reverted back to my Nexus 5 for the near future. I'll switch back to the G3 in a few weeks regardless, however. AA is cool, but I miss the G3 - not worth keeping the Nexus 5 as my main phone for it.

Bifman

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I'll be shocked if it's not fixed. From what I've read, a lot of different phones are having unique issues with it, seems like it's still in beta.

msunshine#AC

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
FYI this should be working on LG G3 now. I upgraded Android Auto to the latest version today and my ATT LG G3 is working perfectly on Android Auto on a 8100nex.

msunshine#AC

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Stock G3 on ATT. Looks like G3 on Verizon doesn't work.

From the Android Auto web site:
LG G3

Android Auto is not currently supported in the U.S. on the LG G3 for Verizon Wireless customers. Google is working with LG on compatibility and will announce an update when the issue is resolved.

Ozong

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Tried almost anything nothing was working until i came upon this thread...
USB debug mode and developer mode did not work until i did start the head server unit, then it opened up on the screen nice =)

/Oz