To Root or Not to Root?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
They include backups of almost everything

This is why I don't like those solutions for a true backup method, but certainly take advantage of it when I can.

But let's say you do crash. Factory reset? okay, then sign in and let your phone update from the cloud? How much data will this cost you while out in the field and away from WiFi? When you can just restore your backup and sync minimal stuff after?

Or you can get to factory reset.. Plug into a PC and use the flash to stock method? Again, out in the field when you need your phone.

I prefer to use these backup method's in tandem. They work best like that anyways.

But I've never had to do a reinstall on a stock, unrooted device "because even non-rooted phones mess up". Not once. Maybe I've just been lucky, but...

You have been lucky. They do crash, and hard. Just look at the forums...

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
A nandroid reinstall when in the field? Seriously, I'm supposed to be worried about having to do that? That's your reason to root? Pleeeease....

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
A nandroid reinstall when in the field? Seriously, I'm supposed to be worried about having to do that? That's your reason to root? Pleeeease....

I'm not sure what you mean by that. But why would you not want to be able to restore your phone to a working state in 3 minutes whenever you want to?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Because I have backups that make restoring easy enough.

Because chances are slim I'll ever need to restore a phone. The backups are primarily for setting up new devices. A nandroid is no good for that.

Because I don't want to compromise security by running as root.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not suggesting you get rid of cloud sync, only that adding a real backup solution would be a good idea. I don't like going without one, simply because I know how many settings I seem to have to change after factory resetting. The cloud solution just isn't there yet.

I don't see how rooting would compromise the security as you say. Unless you have su set to default grant?

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Rooting is not necessary for easy, complete backup and restoration. I do extensive, complete backups without rooting.

All of our devices are configured not only to do backups, but to do much more. They automatically do multiple backups to multiple cloud locations and multiple local storage, and of the multiple accounts installed on each device. The backups are done immediately, in real time so that nothing can be lost. IOW for example when photo is taken it immediately is distributed to several locations.

They include backups of almost everything - contacts, calendars, photos, WiFi, apps, complete configuration of multiple email accounts in AquaMail, Nova Prime configuration and more. I can reload a phone pretty much as quick and easy as if I had a nandroid backup.

Sounds sketchy as hell, more reason to root and block those apps from getting all that stuff.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sounds sketchy as hell, more reason to root and block those apps from getting all that stuff.
How so? How is running multiple automatic backups more risky than rooting?

http://www.howtogeek.com/132115/the-case-against-root-why-android-devices-dont-come-rooted/

http://www.dailytech.com/CyanogenMod+Creator+Tells+Android+Users+to+Rethink+Rooting/article33058.htm

http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...implication-of-having-an-unlocked-boot-loader

I trust Google Drive, Dropbox, CloudHQ and FolderSync far more than an unsecured device.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I do not know why these cloud-based backups would be sketchy...

I love how the guy on stackexchange calls custom recoveries "unsafe". Like they will be hiding a bomb in the code to control your phone from within. Unless you are downloading the recovery zip from 4shared, let's be a little less paranoid.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Obviously I don't consider cloud backups sketchy. I consider them essential to a comprehensive, foolproof backup strategy. It's 2015, not 1995, time to embrace 21st century technology.

I just stuck in the first few links a quick Google search turned up. Agreed about the stackexchange comments, that's a little over the top. But the security concerns are over unlocked bootloaders are legit.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Obviously I don't consider cloud backups sketchy. I consider them essential to a comprehensive, foolproof backup strategy. It's 2015, not 1995, time to embrace 21st century technology.

I just stuck in the first few links a quick Google search turned up. Agreed about the stackexchange comments, that's a little over the top. But the security concerns are over unlocked bootloaders are legit.

I'm glad mine is still locked! Just bumped :p

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
How so? How is running multiple automatic backups more risky than rooting?

The Case Against Root: Why Android Devices Don’t Come Rooted

DailyTech - CyanogenMod Creator Tells Android Users to Rethink Rooting

bootloader lock - What's the security implication of having an unlocked boot loader? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

I trust Google Drive, Dropbox, CloudHQ and FolderSync far more than an unsecured device.

I'm in shock how you trust google with all your information not to mention any other cloud service.
How about just backing up your phone on your own drive and rooting your phone to block permissions.
That way those NSA type companies don't have all your info they are collecting on you to sell to other companies.
Being rooted is far safer than being not rooted, example being CIQ yikes!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
What's so insecure about cloud storage that's not true of anything else connected to the 'Net? All your information is available somewhere, somehow anyway. A 3-letter government agency doesn't care about blocked permissions on your phone. You gotta be kidding. Send an email, buy online, post in a forum, snail-mail a bill - anything you do is out there, somewhere, out of your control.

And if I buy a backup drive and keep everything at home, what if someone breaks in and steals the computer and drive? Or a fire. No, I want multiple copies in multiple locations in real time, automatically so nothing is ever lost.

Rooting breaks the built-in security features of Android, like sandboxed apps, user permissions, etc. That bothers me a lot.

Nathan_4290

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I've never rooted before but after having MAJOR issues with 5.0.1 on my LG G3, I learned how to revert my phone back to stock 4.4.2 so I actually learned how to unroot my phone BEFORE learning how to root my phone (haha). So, with that said, I'm kicking around the idea of rooting if only for the Viper4android app as the JetAudio app (free version) proves the LG G3, paired with quality headphones, can be an awesome music player. I just need to learn more about required apps first as it sounds like there's a couple apps one MUST have upon root.

Posted w/ my LG G3 (REVERTED BACK) to Kit-Kat via the Android Central App