Why is my battery life seriously bad on my G3?

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Battery life seriously bad on my G3 please help

I've had the G3 since september last year, battery life has always been pretty good, not great, but good.

recently though after unplugging it at 6am its flat at 4pm, with little screen on time, maybe 1 or 2 short calls.

I have taken most of my apps off, tried factory resets but it doesn't seem to help. Today After quite a bit of screen on time and taking about 20 photos the phone ran out of battery after about 5 hours!...Screen surprisingly was only just the highest culprit at 18% see screenshots...

Screenshot_2015-04-07-15-45-26.jpg Screenshot_2015-04-07-15-45-35.jpg

Android OS seems to be taking up more and more each day! and as for G-Mail, I only read 2 e-mails, closed the app and cleared it from recents!

Anyone else had this problem?

I love the phone, but can't live with this battery life!

thanks in advance,

Andy

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery life seriously bad on my G3 please help

It may just be that you need a new battery. Genuine LG ones are available, though its not always easy to be sure that you're getting a genuine one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

Turn of sync or just sync for gmail, see how that goes and if that doesnt work factory reset it and see if the battery performance is still underwhelming. If so then a new battery, but i have used mine for about 7 months and its pretty good.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Did you update to lollipop?

Posted via Android Central App

RumpRoast

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

From the screenshot it looks like it's on Lollipop. I suspect it's your Facebook messenger. When I finally decided to install messenger my battery was tanking pretty bad.

Also, it could be your battery like someone above posted

Posted via Android Central App

alissa914

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site

I've been getting decent battery life, but then all I do is listen to music and maybe play a podcast on mine. For audio controls, I use my Pebble to control that from the Google Play app on the phone so the screen stays off (which is key to get better battery life). You can also just get a larger battery for the phone which makes a great deal of difference also.... makes the phone bigger but there are few options other than that, it seems.

Andy Deeks

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the quick responses guys,

I only have Gmail synced currently, everything else is on manual sync.

Yes, I have been on lollipop since it was released in the UK (end of last year) but the poor battery life has only started about a month ago. I can't believe the battery could be going bad at just over half a year old! but it is still under warranty so if I can't find anything else then I will send it back.

I know FB messenger had a bubble on the screenshot, but I had only used it for 10 mins and it didn't even show on the battery usage apps. That being said I understand it could be churning away in the background so I have uninstalled to see if that has an affect.

I don't fancy getting an extended battery for it, I did that for my old HTC HD7 (yes, that was my mistake) and my note 2. I found that the extra life from the battery didn't compensate for carrying a brick around, especially as the note 2 easily lasted a day and a half with much heavier use than i'm giving the G3.

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the quick responses guys,

I only have Gmail synced currently, everything else is on manual sync.

Yes, I have been on lollipop since it was released in the UK (end of last year) but the poor battery life has only started about a month ago. I can't believe the battery could be going bad at just over half a year old! but it is still under warranty so if I can't find anything else then I will send it back.

I know FB messenger had a bubble on the screenshot, but I had only used it for 10 mins and it didn't even show on the battery usage apps. That being said I understand it could be churning away in the background so I have uninstalled to see if that has an affect.

I don't fancy getting an extended battery for it, I did that for my old HTC HD7 (yes, that was my mistake) and my note 2. I found that the extra life from the battery didn't compensate for carrying a brick around, especially as the note 2 easily lasted a day and a half with much heavier use than i'm giving the G3.

Carriers do NOT warranty batteries.

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

O2 will replace the whole phone including battery if I have a problem

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried the Battery Refresh? If not, do this:

1. Take the phone down to 15%
  2. Turn the phone off
  3. Plug it into the OEM charger and let it charge fully. (I usually let it charge overnight to be sure it's completely charged.)

You might have to do that more than once to get it back.

See if that restores your battery back. If not, then you’ll have to replace it. That's one major plus with this phone is that you can replace the batter.

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried the Battery Refresh? If not, do this:

1. Take the phone down to 15%
  2. Turn the phone off
  3. Plug it into the OEM charger and let it charge fully. (I usually let it charge overnight to be sure it's completely charged.)

You might have to do that more than once to get it back.

See if that restores your battery back. If not, then you’ll have to replace it. That's one major plus with this phone is that you can replace the batter.

I haven't tried this no, does it really work?

elbajoloco

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I've gone through the app manager and turned off notifications for every app except my email, facebook, facebook messenger, and my text app. You may also have to go into the app's setting and turn of any additional notifications there as well. Then I've set the brightness to about 50% with auto brightness on. I check email and facebook throughout the day and get many texts, I also listen to an hour or two of podcasts and music and my battery is never below 70% by the time I get home from work. I am on KK so don't know it this will improve on Lollipop.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I haven't tried this no, does it really work?

Yes, it really works. If you'd like the science behind it:

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

"A portable device should be turned off during charge. This allows the battery to reach the set threshold voltage unhindered and termination on current saturation. A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions will prompt a continued charge, causing stress."

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

"A portable device should be turned off during charge. This allows the battery to reach the set threshold voltage unhindered and termination on current saturation. A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions will prompt a continued charge, causing stress."

Trying it as we speak! thank you!

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Would it work just as well while charging wirelessly? Obviously still with the phone switched off? Just curious

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Would it work just as well while charging wirelessly? Obviously still with the phone switched off? Just curious

Unfortunately you can't charge wirelessly with the phone off, because wireless charging uses the OS, so the phone has to be on.

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately you can't charge wirelessly with the phone off, because wireless charging uses the OS, so the phone has to be on.

I knew that...

So after 2 battery calibrations and getting rid of fb messenger things seems to be better, still not lasting more than 12 hours, which is still cr@p, but better than it was..

AD93

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for all your help everyone

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I knew that...

So after 2 battery calibrations and getting rid of fb messenger things seems to be better, still not lasting more than 12 hours, which is still cr@p, but better than it was..

I'd pick up a new battery off Amazon if I was you. Then at least you'd have 2 :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01