best custom rom for g3?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
This heavily depends on what model G3 you have. I have the VS985 (Verizon) version.

They are all basically the same when it comes to installing. Boot into TWRP, wipe cache/data/system and flash the ROM + GoogleApps package.

I have tried SkyDragon, Hello Jasmine, Dirty Unicorns and Vanir AOSP and Validus. Of those I prefer the last three (specifically Dirty Unicorns), because they are AOSP based and not stock-based ROMs. They seem to perform better and have a more efficient use of battery power.

I am currently running Validus and it is pretty nice. But missing some small details that I will have to fix with Xposed, if I can get the alpha working.

Miggy1218

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have d851 for tmobile running kitkat also looking for suggestions on roms. rooted. xposed

thanks for any suggestions and/or tips

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
This heavily depends on what model G3 you have. I have the VS985 (Verizon) version.

They are all basically the same when it comes to installing. Boot into TWRP, wipe cache/data/system and flash the ROM + GoogleApps package.

I have tried SkyDragon, Hello Jasmine, Dirty Unicorns and Vanir AOSP and Validus. Of those I prefer the last three (specifically Dirty Unicorns), because they are AOSP based and not stock-based ROMs. They seem to perform better and have a more efficient use of battery power.

I am currently running Validus and it is pretty nice. But missing some small details that I will have to fix with Xposed, if I can get the alpha working.

When you run an AOSP rom like Dirty Unicorns, do you lose features like knock on and taking a selfie by closing your fist? I am rooted running stock, but I am interested in better battery life without sacrificing these features.

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
When you run an AOSP rom like Dirty Unicorns, do you lose features like knock on and taking a selfie by closing your fist? I am rooted running stock, but I am interested in better battery life without sacrificing these features.

Yes you lose the features that are characteristic for LG's ROM such as the ones you mentioned, the biggest trade off is the camera app, there are some ports from other cameras you can install the HTC One M9 being the best one but still doesn't come close to the stock camera.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Yes you lose the features that are characteristic for LG's ROM such as the ones you mentioned, the biggest trade off is the camera app, there are some ports from other cameras you can install the HTC One M9 being the best one but still doesn't come close to the stock camera.

You only lose the camera features that LG had in the stock app. Actually, I've found that the HTC camera is amazing and takes even better-looking pictures than the stock one did. The only thing it lacks is 4k video, which I never record anyways.

Knock-on works in any ROM as it is a kernel feature which is a pretty basic feature.

lumei 920

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

How much improvement in battery performance are we talking about? I am currently charging my phone every other day with what I considered light usage (~2 hours of podcast replay per day, < 30 min of phone calls, light web browsing, occasional hangout chats, wifi & mobile data disabled most of the time when not in use, auto brightness, running battery doctor). It seems like I should be getting more out of my battery, but on the fence on flashing custom ROMs.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
How much improvement in battery performance are we talking about? I am currently charging my phone every other day with what I considered light usage (~2 hours of podcast replay per day, < 30 min of phone calls, light web browsing, occasional hangout chats, wifi & mobile data disabled most of the time when not in use, auto brightness, running battery doctor). It seems like I should be getting more out of my battery, but on the fence on flashing custom ROMs.

It's hard to say because everyone's usage affects battery life differently. For me, it was significant enough to consider it necessary.

Thierry Henry

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
You only lose the camera features that LG had in the stock app. Actually, I've found that the HTC camera is amazing and takes even better-looking pictures than the stock one did. The only thing it lacks is 4k video, which I never record anyways.

Knock-on works in any ROM as it is a kernel feature which is a pretty basic feature.

Well i'm gonna have to try out the HTC camera one more time, maybe i was too quick to judge but I am a little sceptic to what you're saying that it is better than the native LG camera app, as it is optimised for the specific camera in the G3 and the laser focus.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Well i'm gonna have to try out the HTC camera one more time, maybe i was too quick to judge but I am a little sceptic to what you're saying that it is better than the native LG camera app, as it is optimised for the specific camera in the G3 and the laser focus.

Definitely give it another go. I found it to be equal to the speed of the stock, but quality was better.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Which ROM for the Verizon version is the most pure Lollipop? I don't need any of the LG stuff, I want it as close as possible to the Nexus.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Which ROM for the Verizon version is the most pure Lollipop? I don't need any of the LG stuff, I want it as close as possible to the Nexus.

The only AOSP ROMs I have used are Dirty Unicorns (modified pretty heavily) and Validus which seems to be more pure AOSP. They both run fantastic on the G3. Slightly better battery life on DU though.

Miggy1218

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
The only AOSP ROMs I have used are Dirty Unicorns (modified pretty heavily) and Validus which seems to be more pure AOSP. They both run fantastic on the G3. Slightly better battery life on DU though.

Both stable? Would they work on a tmobile G3? Never used a rom, I'm rooted but just using modules. Is it complicated? Time consuming?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Both stable? Would they work on a tmobile G3? Never used a rom, I'm rooted but just using modules. Is it complicated? Time consuming?

I am not sure if they have builds for the T-Mobile variant. I just flashed a new build of Validus last night and it is even better. VERY stable, from what I've seen in the past week. DU was stable as well.

Flashing ROM's can be complicated if you have not educated yourself on the matter. I would recommend reading threads on XDA to learn more before getting too involved.