The LG-G3 update caused a boot loop, how can I get out of it?

A

AC Question

LG-G3 Update caused a boot loop

The newest system update for the LG-G3 was released recently and I decided to install it today. After it downloaded, the phone said that it would restart. Once it started to power back on, it went to the "LG Life's Good" start up screen, stays at this screen for about 10 seconds, goes dark for 3 seconds, then repeats this process indefinitely. I've seen that this is called a boot loop and I've attempted to perform a factory reset on the phone based on some youtube tutorials, but all of them require that you enter "Download Mode" (which the phone does successfully), and then the screen should show a "Firmware Update" screen, which my phone does not go to. When I open Device Manager, the phone is listed under "Other devices" and the name "QHSUSB_BULK".

Thanks for you help.

zvz513

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG-G3 Update caused a boot loop

I have the same issue and am super frustrated. I attempted to do a reset, but when i do, it sends me back into the same bootloop. Additionally, the phone turns on and is sent into the bootloop by simply plugging in a charger. At this point I can't figure out a way to charge it back up fully which is complicating things more. Let me know if you find a fix!

Coupe Claro

May 9, 2015
Visit site

Same here. Completely Stock. After about a day with the new OTA update available to install, the phone decided to install the update itself. After that, boot loop. THIS SUCKS!!! Downloaded PC Suite, can get the phone into Download Mode, but PC Suite doesn't connect to phone. PLEASE HELP!!

thank you in advance to whomever can help

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

Since it's in a boot loop and you are able to go into download mode, you can flash the previous version of your stock rom. If you or anyone else who chooses to go this route let me know.

Sent from Mr. Mobile Nations using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5

Last edited:

Coupe Claro

May 9, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. My phone was completely stock, no roms. I was able to do a "hard reset" though it went right back into boot loop.
Question: Am I gonna need a windows pc to flash to previous version? All macs over here. thanks

ack927

May 9, 2015
Visit site

Please help! This happened to me too yesterday, the phone did the update and then it's stuck on a loop with the lg screen, I can get to download mode but it goes to the screen with the little download mode logo for a few second then it goes black. is there a possibility for me to fix this without losing my data? thanks in advance

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

Well the method I was thinking of aparently only works for Samsung devices. :/ I was gonna say find the stock rom and flash it using Odin, but that won't work. I'm gonna search around for you and I'll post if I see anything that may help.

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site

Im back! You do indeed need a windows pc. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1WgXuxDbmbc

This is Max Lee, he is super cool and posts videos on how to root, unroot, and unbrick about any android device. He helped me out on my old galaxy s4, and I hope he'll help you! You might need to go over a friends house or buy a cheap pc that has windows xp, vista, 7, or 8 installed on it.

Edited: Ack927, this method will delete everything on the phone.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Easiest way. Bring the phone to the carrier. Say "you updated my phone and now it doesn't work. Please fix it." They broke it, so it's their liability. (You also can't void any warranty that way.)

ack927

May 9, 2015
Visit site

So I went to the AT&T store yesterday and the guy showed me 4 phones that were replaced just in the few hours before i got there. He said that LG released a bad firmware update and it broke a bunch of phones, and the only solution they were provided is to just replace the device. He said even the factory reset does not work.

This is so frustrating how can LG just do that. Luckily he let me keep the phone to try and somehow miraculously retrieve the data from it...

Nintyworldchamp

May 20, 2015
Visit site

Hi, Did you manage to resolve your boot loop issue? I have just had this problem, within the last hour! In short, what worked for me was to NOT USE A PC, remove the battery and wait for about a minute, insert the battery back into the phone, press the power button AND the volume down button together, as soon as you see the LG logo appear quickly release the power button and re press it immediately, DONT LET GO OF THE VOLUME KEY! As soon as you see the factory reset screen appear you can release both buttons. Now use the volume key only to select the option to reset and press the power button to say yes, and the phone will be wiped and the original version of Android that was on your phone when purchased will be put back on. Now follow all on screen prompts to get the phone set back up, as you done at new. Setting wireless up is usually one of the first options to set up after your location. You will soon notice that LG will send you the OTA Android software update, you can pretty much ignore everything else and just concentrate on the Android update. Now, although this may seem very odd, you may well notice that as soon as you think it's completed, you will get the LG software update available again! This is actually normal, weird but normal. So just activate this update again as before, this will likely happen for a third time, after which you will be sorted! Without trying to get too technical, this is due to a variety of previous bugs within the software, the only way to get through it is for the whole update process to be split into three downloads, the first time acts as a kind of patch, a platform to enable the second part and subsequently the the second patching ready for the third.
It takes a while, but my phone is now sorted and running fine, with no more looping. The update has now given me Android Version 5.0, Kernel Version 3.4.0, Software Version V20g-SEA-XX.
Good luck, I hope this helps anyone else that's having issues.

zvz513

May 9, 2015
Visit site

Here's my update on the problem that continues to plague a lot (but not all) phones. Almost 2 weeks ago I sent my phone back to LG as it is still under warranty. It was returned to me as quickly as I could hope for. After having it for 24 hours and declining the update, I turned on the screen and to my horror realized that it was updating again. I hoped it wouldn't repeat the problem but I was wrong. I was again unable to reset as it jumped back to the bootloop. I called again and did my best to be polite on the phone but the LG worker was pretty much making it sound like there was nothing he could do and they would just reset the phone again. I made it clear that the situation had to be resolved and that we can't keep sending the phone back over and over again. I told him that the only thing I could think to stop the madness was to root and install a custom OS, which would also void the warranty. He seemed to understand that this was not something I should have to do. The guy said he was making the techs aware of the situation. He said there were plenty of other people with the same issue, but that some phones also accepted the update with no problems. I asked why they couldn't just stop pushing the update and he didn't seem to have a response. Anyway, the whole situation has left me super frustrated and I'm regretting ever switching from HTC phones.

Coupe Claro

May 9, 2015
Visit site

My phone will get to the factory reset screen but as soon as I confirm it goes right back to Lg splash screen loop. Waste of $500, Last LG I purchase.

mikey0715

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem. I already did hard-reset but still the same. So I sent it to the LG repair service (Philippines), and hoping that it's really a battery problem and hoping they'll replace it. :O

Jordy Mwanga

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

Since it's in a boot loop and you are able to go into download mode, you can flash the previous version of your stock rom. If you or anyone else who chooses to go this route let me know.

Doesnt work all the way. I tried

vwchong

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

It worked. Thanks. Just a note to everyone, you need to have the phone powered with a cable. It seems the faulty upgrade had a problem recognizing the power source.

Muhammad Aijaz1

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

It worked. Thanks. Just a note to everyone, you need to have the phone powered with a cable. It seems the faulty upgrade had a problem recognizing the power source.

can you plz tell what worked??? my problem is that my phone is Korean origin and if luckily i get into recovery mode its all Korean. I have tried to flash kdz everything went fine flashed PC showed 81% completed and phone showed 100% and booted again afterwards PC showed 100% completed but the "bootloop"is still there. any help in this regard would highly be appreciated guys.......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan