Why does my LG G3 screen flicker and fades to darkness?

Raj Kumar17

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: HELP - LG G3 Screen Flickers and fades to darkness

You may also turn off, GPS, automatic sync, automatic brightness, etc since those features will trigger to make use of the workloads of CPU. Use those features only if it is necessary.

Thanks alot bro. Its working now on my lg g3 vs985 Verizon. I am at stock 4.4.2 aka 10B with root, just installed Kernal Adiutor with busybox, changed max cpu to around 1500Mhz and Gpu to around 300Mhz, applied ur provided 75c Mod and got the result. Thanks alot..👍👍👍

LuckySwitz

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site

Thanks alot bro. Its working now on my lg g3 vs985 Verizon. I am at stock 4.4.2 aka 10B with root, just installed Kernal Adiutor with busybox, changed max cpu to around 1500Mhz and Gpu to around 300Mhz, applied ur provided 75c Mod and got the result. Thanks alot..👍👍👍

You're very welcome mate.

Just a heads-up, sometimes when you restarted your phone, the screen will fade again due to the cpu will use its maximum clockspeed. You may need to wait for atleast 30 secs to 1 min for kernel adiutor sticked its settings. :)

I'm using Synapse BTW..

romario gibson

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site

HELP:

Basically, i downloaded the recent new update from LG about 1 or 2 days ago and then this morning I went to turn on my phone and the screen flickered, got black lines coarsly running horizontal through it and slowly the screen over a 10-15 second span fades to darkness and then sits in a dark screen state. Then I hit the power button several times and the phone only some times will activate.

Everything appears to function fine besides the screen as I can do almost everything using remote tools (i.e. android wear, bluetooth headset, online cloud based texting apps, etc.). However, the screen will not work for more than few seconds the few times it will even turn on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution or do I just need a new phone?

I just a paper clip between the battery and the battery cover just for a firmer fit and no more black outs!

bishopx26

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
ive been following this sector of forum for more than 2 months.. i did the paper trick months ago but seems like that wont last working..... 5 days ago i didnt bake it but i took off the whole board of lg and with the help of a hair dryer i applied max heat to the board for like 6-7 minutes , then i put it back and it was working great for 2 days.. seems like the overheat its the main problem.. i was working with the lg even why it was overheated too much and suddenly that **** got back again.. i repeated again that with hair dryer but this time i didnt overloaded the phone by using it a lot.. everytime it was getting hot i stopped using it for few minutes and its like 4 days i didnt get the issue... i was thinking to apply thermal paste to the processor but i dont know if this will prevent the phone from overheating.. any idea or did anybody try this trick with thermal paste ?

LuckySwitz

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
ive been following this sector of forum for more than 2 months.. i did the paper trick months ago but seems like that wont last working..... 5 days ago i didnt bake it but i took off the whole board of lg and with the help of a hair dryer i applied max heat to the board for like 6-7 minutes , then i put it back and it was working great for 2 days.. seems like the overheat its the main problem.. i was working with the lg even why it was overheated too much and suddenly that **** got back again.. i repeated again that with hair dryer but this time i didnt overloaded the phone by using it a lot.. everytime it was getting hot i stopped using it for few minutes and its like 4 days i didnt get the issue... i was thinking to apply thermal paste to the processor but i dont know if this will prevent the phone from overheating.. any idea or did anybody try this trick with thermal paste ?

I'm thinking putting a thermal pad instead of thermal paste. It will be less messy and easy to remove.

Trism11

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

Following this post for a while now. Thought i should weigh in with my experience...

About about 2 months ago my G3 (D855) started having fading the issues :( Unfortunately I feel that it might have been slightly self inflicted though as I spent 2 hours driving with maps, spotify and wireless charging whilst it was in direct sunlight, by the time I got home i nearly burnt myself picking it out its holder. Ooops. Anyway I digress.

At first I fiddled around with the paper trick which worked for a week or so before the issues reoccurred. After repeating a couple of times and getting diminishing results I decided to give up on it. I found a G3 locally with a broken screen for £60 (I found it easier and cheaper to find a G3 without a screen than just a motherboard) and thought I may as well bake my current board as the worst that could happen is i spend £60 and give my board a hard earned cremation.

About 2 weeks ago I stuck it in as ~175C for 8 minutes. Let it cool down and velar it worked. Well I say worked but it got stuck in a bootloop at first... Perhaps the storage didn't like it? Reset it (Using CM13 btw) and has been working fine until today when it became pretty much instantly unusable. Annoyed I stuck it straight back in the oven just now at 190C for 9 minutes, currently it is back and all working fine :) I will try and keep you updated.

william-coelho

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I checked this alternative in another forum.
I warmed my board with a hairdryer until I could not touch the hand so hot.
For me not solved.

I'm thinking of giving a thermal shock on my plate. I will become very hot and then put in a freezer.
This can settle down the board components.

LuckySwitz

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site

The problem starts again after a few weeks of tweaking my kernel and lowering down the temperature of my phone..

I tried already paper trick together with thermal paste and it didn't last for a single hour and the problem occurs.

It ended up throwing out my phone to my bed and think carefully for what's my next step. Minding that I really need to change the mainboard or buy a new phone.

What happened today because of frustration is I opened up the mainboard again and removed the paper and cleaned the cpu of 70% isopropyl alcohol because of the mess of thermal paste. I borrowed my mom's hairblower and heat up the mainboard for less than 3 minutes. I turned it back the mainboard, pushed forcely those connectors and charged my phone.

For some reasons when I turned on my phone, i didn't experience any flickers or fades on my screen. I played 2hours of Real Racing 3 until the battery lose its power. I charged my phone again and turned it on then I played Implosion without any problems.

I don't know what happened and what I did but hoping that this fix will lasts.

bishopx26

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site

The problem starts again after a few weeks of tweaking my kernel and lowering down the temperature of my phone..

I tried already paper trick together with thermal paste and it didn't last for a single hour and the problem occurs.

It ended up throwing out my phone to my bed and think carefully for what's my next step. Minding that I really need to change the mainboard or buy a new phone.

What happened today because of frustration is I opened up the mainboard again and removed the paper and cleaned the cpu of 70% isopropyl alcohol because of the mess of thermal paste. I borrowed my mom's hairblower and heat up the mainboard for less than 3 minutes. I turned it back the mainboard, pushed forcely those connectors and charged my phone.

For some reasons when I turned on my phone, i didn't experience any flickers or fades on my screen. I played 2hours of Real Racing 3 until the battery lose its power. I charged my phone again and turned it on then I played Implosion without any problems.

I don't know what happened and what I did but hoping that this fix will lasts.

i tried that with hair dryer.. it lasted only 2 days... i repeated again the process for more than 3 minutes longer than the first time it lasted 3 days.. haha.. its frustrating... Lg sucks.. :( :(

mongtomtam

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
new trick ....after paper trick & camera connecttor trick not work for me
The concept paper on technical Remove the motherboard out put electrictape 5-6 layers on The chip back (big chip) reassembly phone it
working for me now!!!!

DoctDroid

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
it's one thing for this phone to be having the problems it is having, but we need to remember to contact LG and advise them of the problem; it needs to be documented in the event something happens in the future

william-coelho

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I did the experiment of thermal shock and did not work.
Now the next experiment will heat the plate with some weight on it.
I think it can better accommodate the components.

loveovens

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, there's been a lot of little tricks with papers and pressure etc that seem to fix this but with no obvious logical reason.
I recently had the flicker and fade problem with my phone and an obvious issue is the CPU& GPU of the device that could cause this issue.

I opened the phone, disconnected all the cables and put the motherboard with the CPU facing up on a thick piece of carton and into the oven on 200c for 8-10 minutes. And voila phone works as new for a few days now.

This probably all goes back to the overheating issue the phone has in general, which leads the gpu to heat up and cool down constantly causing cracks in the soldering is my guess. So yea, ovens FTW , see if it works for you, if not it might be worth changing phones.
GL everyone

Raj Kumar17

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I quit resolving this matter. I already put my LG G3 in our thrashbag.

Hi guys,
My device was again doing that flickering plus it restarted every 2/3 minutes which ended up in complete death...no power no charging indication etc. but now by the grace of God its working perfectly..no heatup/no restart..reason for that was corrupt bootloader. I reflashed its all partitions using extracted kdz. Just google about hardbricked lg g3. Now its almost 5 days without any issue + i didnt root it now.

bishopx26

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,
My device was again doing that flickering plus it restarted every 2/3 minutes which ended up in complete death...no power no charging indication etc. but now by the grace of God its working perfectly..no heatup/no restart..reason for that was corrupt bootloader. I reflashed its all partitions using extracted kdz. Just google about hardbricked lg g3. Now its almost 5 days without any issue + i didnt root it now.

can u tell me please what did you extaly do ? any tutorial please ?

ivoray

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it is a software problem or have anything to do with the temperature of the device.The paper trick worked for me for a week, then it started flicker again. Then I put some more paper on top of the old one so it was sealed well again. Now is working again.. I hope for good. You can alternatively put smth else which will not change it's size in time.

Last edited:

Olga Vasileiadou

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem and i sent my phone to LG . they returned it to me after a week and on the paper said the problem was "no(Main LCD) Display" and that they replaced my motherboard i think? anyway i opened it and the problem is still here. still fades to black, i push the button 2-3 times for the screen to open, and then it flickers. I contacted them again and they said i need to send it back again!!!!! the problem is i am working the next weeks from morning to night and i can's send it again for now.. is there any chance for anything worse to happen on my phone from thin problem?